Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #81
Dryer sheet wannabe

After seeing my Dad wrongly diagnosed with colon cancer when in fact he had H Pylori ulcers I'd say let them give you a very mild sedation and do the upper GI versus both.
If in fact your issues are tummy related the upper will answer the question if it's not then do the lower portion later.
I would NOT do both!! just my huble opinoin
beppie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Many doctors aren’t recommending colonoscopy after the age of 70 because of complications.
I had my "last"one this year at 75. Doc said I am done with these.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:46 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireSoon View Post
Hey gang..how many of you have done a colonoscopy AND endoscopy at the same appointment? GI has scheduled me for the Endo since I've been having lower right side abdominal pain (flares up after too much adult beverage, too much caffeine or too much spicy food) and Colon since I'm > 50 and have not done yet, and I am FREAKING **TERRIFIED** (putting it mildly) - especially of the Endoscopy as I can't even generally do dental X-Rays with that big hunk of plastic they use in my mouth without feeling like I'm going to gag. Someone running a garden hose down my mouth - NO FREAKING WAY!!!

Doc has assured me I'll be "out" on Propofol and won't remember anything, and I've had family members who have done that say it's "no big deal" (riiiiight).

Have any of you done the "double dip"? Gastro is experienced (21+ years and did his GI study at Tulane U) but I'm terrified both of the experience (especially the Endo part though the Colon part is also freaking me out) as well as potential complications. I've done too much googling and have heard people have **died** from colonoscopy complications and knowing me, something is bound to go wrong as that seems to always happen..

Would appreciate any advice or experiences you guys have had..my anxiety level is so far off the map I can't describe it. If I don't cancel it'll be a miracle..appt is one week out so it is truly time to panic..
I had both done last year at the same time under sedation. First time for both procedures. While laying down waiting for them to start, I recall nervously asking one of the nurses when they were going to start. She smiled and said "You're done" as I looked around and noticed I was in a different room. It was so weird. It was if that time they did the procedure never happened. It was instantaneous. I never even recall fading out while going under.
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
What medication is that? The docs had him try a number of things, and nothing seemed to work. DH and I wanted him to try bentonite clay, but for he wasn't interested.
I have had a resection for my Crohns and the valve was removed. I had the same diahrea issue as well. The drug is called Cholestyramine. It's a powder I mix in OJ every morning. It binds the salts to harden the stools. Takes about an hour to work.

I feel for your dad as the time before the Cholestyramine was awful & humiliating
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:32 AM   #85
Dryer sheet wannabe

There are other ways besides colonoscopy to look for cancer. You can take fecal blood tests. Such as I believe it's called Colaguard? However if you do Cologuard and it comes back positive (it has a high number of false positives) you then are faced with a "diagnostic" colonoscopy which is not covered 100% by insurance.

If you wish to do a fecal blood test I recommend skipping the Dr. RX one Cologuard and go with a self testing at home one you order yourself, and they are cheap, you can even get them at Walmart. It's off the books so if it comes back positive you simply call your Dr. and say your are due for your "screening" colonoscopy. This way your insurance will pay 100% if it's within the screening guidelines.

And on that note I also believe not sure but you can go to LabCorp lab sites and get self testing done there as well for any number of blood tests and it too can be off the books just self pay.

This is all because I am personally paranoid about Dr's, hospitals, insurance, drug companies, government etc. The less they know about me the better !
beppie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #86

I want to steal this old thread as it should reach out to those that had both an Endoscopy and Colonoscopy at the same time. What I want is info on how doctors treated things they found. I know I can search with my browser and I know my doctor will give me a treatment plan but your experiences (and please, only those who have direct knowledge) would be invaluable, as I prepare for my follow up with my Doctor.

helicobacter - Looks like this is easily treated with anti-biotics.

Asymptomatic hiatal hernia or at least I don't think I have any symptoms. Antacids.

Barrett's Esophagus - possibly - did some test and will get back to me at my follow up. Looks like treatment is lifestyle changes, drugs and lifelong follow up.

Colonoscopy went like the last 3 - A few polyps they will send off to the lab.

Thanks again for you insight.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:45 AM   #87
Full time employment: Posting here.

Suspected Barrett’s so during the endoscopy the doctor did a biopsy. It came back negative but I’m on daily nexium - and feel fine now. Colonoscopy had a polyp that was also biopsied and also negative. Good luck with your stuff.
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I missed this thread when it was started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Be sure to ask the doc to do the endo first. When they do the colo first they sometimes forget to rinse the scope off before running it down your throat.

If they remember to rinse the scope after using it on the previous patient, it should be OK, no?

They would not be introducing any bacteria, virus, parasite, pathogen into your body that is not already there.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:42 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Ah, yes, the EGD -Esophagogastroduodenoscopy. I've had that done the past two times. My doctor - a phenomenally-gorgeous brunette - snipped out a couple of very-minor polyps, checked my duodenal hernia, & gave me a clean bill of healh for the next 5 years. No meds needed.
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601NoMore View Post
Thanks again for all the help..I've decided to go ahead and do both (gulp) as Dr. has recommended.

Will be good to know if I'm good to go (and RE come Jan 2) or if there are any issues that need to be addressed. We've known too many other people (some in our immediate family) that have developed unexpected HC problems in their 50s and 60s. So worth any / all stress and anxiety to make sure all is good.

Have convinced myself that I won't know anything with the Propofol. Had that some years ago for a dental extraction and literally went from feeling the needle in my arm to waking up in recovery and not remembering a single other thing. Hoping for a repeat of that experience. Will let you guys know how it goes..
Like many of us over 50, I had a screening colonoscopy about 5 years ago. Propofol was used, and I woke up in a magically amazing mood, and felt fine. I was surprised by how good I felt afterward.

Another reassuring thing, they make endoscopy tubes and colonoscopy tubes small enough for babies. When I was in training, I observed an endoscopy on one of my pediatric patients, for teaching purposes. The gastroenterologist had me briefly look through the scope. It was a quiet, well controlled situation, with the patient well-monitored. This was in the early days of continuous pulse oximetry, and before propofol was approved by the FDA.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:06 PM   #91
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had both done at once in my 20s.

I suspected but only found out thru the doctors colleagues 20 years later that the guy was a procedure fanatic who just drove up billing.

Was a complete waste to do both.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote