Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post

Now I'm wondering why we need colonoscopies if CT scans can show the status of the colon? Of course, in my case, a couple of polyps were whacked during the colonoscopy. The colonoscopy doc said I could go 5 years until my next colonoscopy unless the diverticula begin to cause problems.

CT scans expose you to radiation and it's yet unclear what the long-term implications of those levels are, but the less the better IMHO.
How Dangerous Are CT Scans? - TIME

Plus, if they see any polyps on a CT scan, you'd still have to undergo a colonoscopy to get them "whacked".

(Cost might be another disuading factor. I don't know the cost of either procedure.)

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #42
Gone but not forgotten

Some thoughts on a messy procedure:

Polyps- Not necessarily a problem, as most are not cancerous or precancerous, but are removed (simple snip from the instrument) as a caution.

Indications of possible problems- Diarrhea, Pain, Blood in stool, genetics,
changes in bowel habits, or previous history. Often, ulcers cause blood. The procedure determines this.

Preparation- Typically brand "Colyte"... a gallon (4 liters?), often offered with flavor packet. Forces a "flushing" of the digestive tract. Until a few years ago, an alternate prep was "Phospho Soda" a "Fleet" branded phosphate mix that causes the same type of "flushing" effect. This was withdrawn from the OTC market by the company after reports of kidney damage. I believe there are some alternates offered, although none of the three doctors that I have had, would authorize them.

Prep failure- As mentioned many times in previous posts, incomplete cleansing may require "retake". Incomplete cleaning does not necessarily mean the doctor will not complete the colonoscopy, but remnants of stool in the system could mean that possible problems could be missed.

What happens "if" cancerous or pre cancerous polyps are found? The polyp will be tested for cancer cells. A positive result may require additional testing of adjacent tissues.

In my case, "more than 20 years ago", in an abundance of caution, the solution was a "sigmoid section", in which 6 inches of colon was removed, and the upper and lower sections of that part, rejoined. The operation was a 4 hour procedure, with a 6 inch scar, and recovery, that took about 8 weeks. Shortly after this, newer less invasive surgery was introduced, whereby, in cases of early discovery, the operation might not require the "section".... It depends on the extent of the problem.... Early discovery can result in only a minor inconvenience.

As to cost. This is interesting... It pays to shop around. While the cost of the procedure will likely be less than $1,500, where you have it done is a very important consideration. The facility cost may be as much a $2,000
in a hospital, where an endoscopy or ambulatory clinic may have costs that are $1,000 to $2,000. Add to this the anesthesiologist fee, perhaps $250. Additional costs will be involved for poly removal or other procedures. (polyps usually found in 25% of men, and 15% of women.)

An alternative to a colonoscopy is a sigmoidoscopy, which may cost as little as $300, and can be performed in the doctor's office. This only involves a portion of the colon.

Coverage for the procedure varies by healthcare provider, and varies from state to state. Some healthcare plans offer screening for free, others, may reimburse only if polyps are found. Based on the range of costs, I believe it might be prudent to go to an endoscopy center for an estimate, especially if you are paying for the procedure yourself. IMO, respect your own physician's recommendation, but ... trust and verify.

Ambulatory healthcare centers sometimes offer special discounts on colonoscopies.
The normal disclaimer.... personal observations only... not advice.

At the least, my recommendation would be to go to WebMD or Wiki, or any good medical website, to look over the symptoms and indications.

been there: done that
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Last week I had 40% of a colonoscopy. It was incomplete due to twists, turns in the colon that the scope couldnt navigate. I had a lower GI (barium xray) this week to check the remainder of the colon. All is well, except I have a tortuous and redundant colon.(twist, turns, etc)

Given the choice of procedures, I would take a colonoscopy any day.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote