Join Early Retirement Today

Colonoscopy before age 50..........
Old 12-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Colonoscopy before age 50..........

My doctor said a good idea, as I lost a sister to breast cancer at 46 and a grandfather to prostate cancer.

We had flex ben dollars left to burn. Scheduled it and will get one by the end of the year. I read all the helpful insight from Nords and others, hopefully will go well.

I guess no news will be good news from the doc after the procedure? The guy doing it has done over 6,000 according to my doctor........probably a good thing......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #2

I had my first colonoscopy at age 41. For me it's because I checked the "blood on the stool" checkbox at a physical and Kaiser Permanente hounded me till I went in. It was a good thing - they found 3 polyps.
Now I'm a frequent, um, prober.....? Every 5 years. Due for one soon.

You'll be told when you wake up whether they found anything. No need to wait for the results.

make sure you do the prep right. It's useless if you don't properly prep. A friend of the family works in a clinic that does them - she said the compliance rate is only about 60%. Which means they send 40% of the people home because they didn't prep.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I had my first one done last Friday, I am age 56 and it went well....My doctor says I dont have to return for ten years...no findings.

They gave a mild sedative first that just about put me to sleep, then came in and said "please roll onto your side"...I was halfway thru the roll, and the next thing I knew I was awake and it was over!!! You will NOT feel or know a thing.

I walked out of the hospital myself-they didnt even wheel out in a wheelchair like they normally do even when you feel you can do it on your own.

I am relieved nothing was found. I am retiring -last workday on January 4th, 2013, then vacation til my actual date of March 1. I am getting everything done -already had mammogram and internal exam and physical and all is good!!!!!

Do it and don't look back. I am sure if you are UNDER 50 you will be OK, but if they do find something, you can be relatively sure you'll live til OVER 50 cause they find it early!!!!!

Good Luck!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Ditto on prep. IF they recommend the small 10oz bottles of magnesium citrate, chill it, and hold your nose when you drink it down. IF you are thirsty you can probably do it in one drink. I had to take two bottles, two hours apart. You will definitley need to be near the bathroom. afterwards!.!!!!!

Eat lightly the two days before that will help.

And if it is a little unpleasant....it is nothing like letting this test go and then maybe having to have surgery to remove part of your lower bowel and have to use a colostomy bag ( like a coworker of mine did-he died 2 years after early retirement, at age 60, because he ignored his MD adivce to get this test done sooner).

Dont want to preach but only YOU can make sure you take care of yourself.......!!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm sure the people who get such early cancer screenings are either glad that they found nothing, or glad that they were able to intervene early if anything was found. However, their efficacy is dubious, but the cost is certain.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #6

Just do it!

It was 1989, and digestion problems. Colonoscopy. Found cancer. Operation for removal... Sigmoid section.

I was in the process of expanding my business, taking on significant debt and major changes in our lives. Even with a successful operation, significant chances for recurrence. After some agonizing days of reviewing finances and looking into the future, decided to take a chance and retire.

Post operation, annual colonoscopy for five years, then every three years, now every five years. Lucky... over 23 years, a few polyps, no cancer.

IMO the colonoscopy is a non event... (except for the prep)... I no longer take anaesthetic, so I can watch the TV and discuss with the doctor as he's working.

Have had some neighbors who waited too long.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Oh man. I've been putting it off for no good reason other than, you know,

Gotta get it done. Trusted Doc recommends it. No real problems other thank being at that "special age".
Old 12-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #8

I had 40% of one today. I need to go back. There was an sharp angle in my colon that the scope couldn't navigate. So they have to go back in with a balloon, and then rescope it. I wasn't conscious enough to take the barium that I'll have to take next time. So next time I'll need to do the gallon of prep, the barium, and have it done while I'm awake.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hey Ron,

Sorry that happened to you today(!), but glad you are going in for the rest of it. You will be look back and be so glad you did. Did you already know you had this sharp angle in your colon? (guessing not).

From what I have read, once you get in the groove of the periodic checks , cancer is very seldom found because you are getting the colonoscopies and polyps are found before they become bad things.

I had a colonoscopy this very morning. Perhaps we were partying at the same time (in different clinics). My dad was diagnosed with Stage IVB colon cancer about 21 years ago. Despite dire predictions from oncologist, he made it. So, my first one was at age 37. Have had two since.

and, thank goodness yesterday is a distant memory. That is one sure way to slow down time. Do the prep.

Keep us posted. You gotta do it.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #10

I had one a few years ago. No problems. The prep was worse than the actual
procedure. That said I felt the "moment of insertion", really good drugs if you can feel that and not care!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #11

I had mine at 60 and it wasn't that bad, and actually looking forward to my next one.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #12

That was great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I had mine at 60 and it wasn't that bad, and actually looking forward to my next one.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I had my first one done a few months back (I was 50) without issue.

I sure each one may be different.

For me, I had the over the counter + gatorade prep. I was knocked out so didn't remember any of the procedure and when I got home, I had no discomfort whatsoever.

I'm so glad I did it just for the peace of mind. I'm good for 10 years until the next time.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

If you're lucky, FD, they'll give you an 8x10 glossy.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
If you're lucky, FD, they'll give you an 8x10 glossy.
I got a nice picture showing my appendectomy scar from the inside.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes
Hey Ron,

Sorry that happened to you today(!), but glad you are going in for the rest of it. You will be look back and be so glad you did. Did you already know you had this sharp angle in your colon? (guessing not).

From what I have read, once you get in the groove of the periodic checks , cancer is very seldom found because you are getting the colonoscopies and polyps are found before they become bad things.

I had a colonoscopy this very morning. Perhaps we were partying at the same time (in different clinics). My dad was diagnosed with Stage IVB colon cancer about 21 years ago. Despite dire predictions from oncologist, he made it. So, my first one was at age 37. Have had two since.

and, thank goodness yesterday is a distant memory. That is one sure way to slow down time. Do the prep.

Keep us posted. You gotta do it.
Thanks ohyes! And yes I have no problem going back. My dr did my appendectomy 8 yrs ago, and he said that adhesions occur post abdominal surgery that twist the colon. He said it happens in about 1 out of every 20 of his patients. This is my 2nd (and 3rd). My 1st was done in order to help diagnose my ruptured appendix. The prep I took last night tastes like lemonade - the whole thing was not bad at all.

Glad to see you had one today also. Yes - we were probably partying at the same. I really didn't come back to earth for several hours.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #17

I'm 52 and have already had two. I lost my Mom when she was 65 and her Mom when she was around 70, both to colon cancer. So I have a real incentive.

The anticipation is the worst part. Well, that and the "prep." They gave me pills, but it was an entire bottle of large pills, each to be taken with 8 oz. of water 15 minutes apart, in two, 1-hour sessions 4 hours apart. (Did that make sense?) Anyway, LOTS of water and by the time I was forcing down that last full glass I didn't think I could fit any more H2O into my body. Keep lots of good reading material handy - you'll need it.

Contrary to what I was told, and what I've read above and heard from other family members, I vividly recall every second of the procedure. But not to worry; it's no big deal. I kind of enjoyed seeing my innards on the TV monitor. It pinched a bit making the first 90-degree bend, but that was over quickly. Besides, I was so pumped up with Valium (or whatever) that when they brought in the six-foot scope and told me where they were going to put it, I said, "bring it on!"

All kidding aside, early detection is very important in treating this terrible disease. I've seen what it can do to a body. Everybody - just get checked.

Oh, I've had no problems so far.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
make sure you do the prep right. It's useless if you don't properly prep. A friend of the family works in a clinic that does them - she said the compliance rate is only about 60%. Which means they send 40% of the people home because they didn't prep.
At my first one the nurse told me that she once asked a patient if he had had anything to eat since the prep the day before. "Oh no!" he said. "Just eggs and toast this morning."

He got to do the prep again and come back another day.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #19

Both my mother and her sister died from colon cancer so my doc recommended I have the colonoscopy due to high risk factor. Had one done a year after my mother passed and they found 3 polyps of which two were said to be of a kind that can turn cancerous over time. Was glad to have those removed! Had another one year later and another 5 years later and no more polyps.

As for the prep, if they give you the mix for the gallon jug, hand it back and ask for the small bottles. That gallon of mix is a killer to get down in the time interval they requested.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #20

Still you should call within 72 hours to get any result confirmation + feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I guess no news will be good news from the doc after the procedure?

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote