Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Be sure you check with your insurer for coverage possibilities. We also have a high deductible (3500) but our coverage includes preventive carewhich includes colonoscopy if you have a family history. HOWEVER, if they do find and remove a polyp(s), the preventive suddenly becomes surgery and your treatment gets a different rate and subject to your deductibles. I had to pay 20% of the procedure cost.
Skeptic me, not so sure the doc did not want to earn a few extra bucks and found something close enough to be a polyp to qualify. My original colonoscopy five years ago had no polyps and we have a very low fat, high fiber diet.
nwsteve

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2009, 12:25 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Isn't this forum just great?
Seems we can discuss our Inter most, or was that enter most, deep dark secrets !!! With the whole Internet world.
Full disclosure: I'm thinking about getting the old colon checked out too.
I figure I worked thirty years to earn my pension, so I need to do my best to stay healthy so I can draw those monthly checks for over thirty years to break even.
Steve

Old 12-11-2009, 01:03 AM   #23

I searched "colonoscopy" on Healthcarebluebook.com. In my zip code the estimated charges are:

Colonoscopy (no Biopsy)

Physician Services: $470
Facility Services: $373
Anesthesia Services: $433

Total: $1,276

Colonoscopy (with Biopsy)

Physician Services: $836
Facility Services: $373
Anesthesia Services: $433

Total: $1,643
Old 12-11-2009, 05:58 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I had one in February. The total submitted to insurance was $4342 of which insurance paid $2241 and I paid $349. I had a full set of biopsies done as well with pathology and lab work, which is included in the costs listed (about 20% of the cost).
Old 12-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #25

Here's a shocker: The Gastroenterology clinic calls yesterday to check-up and see if all was fine (no blood coming out, fever), but they made a point to tell me "you were nice and clean, which makes it so much easier for the Dr." Are you telling me that some people don't follow the Drs. instructions and clean their colon out totally, because they ate something or didn't take their meds? Ewwwwww....yuk!
Moemg probably knows the answer to this one.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #26

I've heard of people having to take suppositories at the hospital while waiting because everything wasn't cleaned out. Even though they did everything they were supposed to do at home.
Steve
Old 12-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Here's a shocker: The Gastroenterology clinic calls yesterday to check-up and see if all was fine (no blood coming out, fever), but they made a point to tell me "you were nice and clean, which makes it so much easier for the Dr." Are you telling me that some people don't follow the Drs. instructions and clean their colon out totally, because they ate something or didn't take their meds? Ewwwwww....yuk!

Yes , I do know the answer . Some people need extra cleansing and some do not take all the prep so when they arrive for their scope after an initial peek it is usually cancelled and they are sent home to redo the prep and go another day without eating and added to the end of the next day's scheldue( usually 4 PM ) . So when I had mine I followed those prep guidelines to a T no way did I want to return .
Old 12-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Skeptic me, not so sure the doc did not want to earn a few extra bucks and found something close enough to be a polyp to qualify. My original colonoscopy five years ago had no polyps and we have a very low fat, high fiber diet.
nwsteve
I worked in an Endoscopy clinic for a few years with several Gastroenterologists .
Taking polyps out is a pain and slightly dangerous so no Doctor would do that unless there really was a polp or something that looked like a polyp.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #29

I realize you were asking about prices in the States for this procedure, but thought I would tell you about what our experiences in both Thailand and Mexico were like as compared.

First, neither of us had to do 3 days of prep. We were told to eat normally and live our lives in the same fashion as we usually do. Then, the day of the appointment we were to get up at about 5 am (to prepare for our 8:30 am appointment) and take this prescription liquid mixed with water. We ended up drinking about 2 liter's worth. By 7:30 am after being cleaned out, we drove to the hospital for our appt., received the anesthetic, got the procedure done and went into the recouperating room.

After waking, the doc went over our CD movies of the procedure and gave us copies for our personal doctor to have as a baseline. We had a complimentary ambulance drive home.

In Thailand, it cost a total of about $300USD, $500 USD if you wanted an endoscopy along with it.

Mexico was a little higher in price, about $500 USD for the colonoscopy. We paid out of pocket.

The biggest difference seems to be the one morning prep versus the 3 days of fasting and observing different eating behaviors. The price was a good value also.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 12-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
When I turned 50 I had a sigmoidoscopy and had the "pleasure" of lying on my side while doc, nurse and I all took a tour via the video screen. I got lots of praise for the thoroughness of my cleansing, but it was not the kind of praise I'd look for again.

I have subsequently had a colonoscopy where I was out cold - much preferred.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #31

I wonder if a virtual colonoscopy requires all the prep? Anyone had a VC?
TJ
Old 12-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #32

As regards virtual colonoscopy, I have never had one nor do I know anyone who has. I believe they require the same prep. If they see something(polyp) , you still have to have the full blown experience. I have read that virtual colonoscopy can miss small polyps that are visualized under the "old" method. But I could be wrong. I am not a doctor or nurse. I am sure it will be refined over time. Could eliminate some of the risks of invasive testing if it does.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #33

Well, that's 2 of us that read the same thing, WhoDaresWins. I'm just going to do the regular colonoscopy as I understand, also, it is much more thorough. I've seen first hand how awful colon Cancer can be on someone...no thanks!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #34

Had mine five years ago and everything said by everyone was the truth. Can't remember the cost as I had Medicare and a secondary. Now that I'm in a Medicare Advantage plan, the test is free as it is one of the great preventive measurers. Also hearing lately that a CT scan may be right around the corner as the latest and greatest in place of a colonoscopy; however, if they find something, you'll probably have to go thru the procedure anyway to remove the polyps. Going for my annual checkup next week and will ask the doc about the timing for another colonoscopy.