Colonoscopy costs?

I've heard of people having to take suppositories at the hospital while waiting because everything wasn't cleaned out. Even though they did everything they were supposed to do at home.
Steve

Here's a shocker: The Gastroenterology clinic calls yesterday to check-up and see if all was fine (no blood coming out, fever), but they made a point to tell me "you were nice and clean, which makes it so much easier for the Dr." Are you telling me that some people don't follow the Drs. instructions and clean their colon out totally, because they ate something or didn't take their meds? Ewwwwww....yuk!
Moemg probably knows the answer to this one.

Yes , I do know the answer . Some people need extra cleansing and some do not take all the prep so when they arrive for their scope after an initial peek it is usually cancelled and they are sent home to redo the prep and go another day without eating and added to the end of the next day's scheldue( usually 4 PM ) . So when I had mine I followed those prep guidelines to a T no way did I want to return .

Skeptic me, not so sure the doc did not want to earn a few extra bucks and found something close enough to be a polyp to qualify. My original colonoscopy five years ago had no polyps and we have a very low fat, high fiber diet.
nwsteve

I worked in an Endoscopy clinic for a few years with several Gastroenterologists .
Taking polyps out is a pain and slightly dangerous so no Doctor would do that unless there really was a polp or something that looked like a polyp.

I realize you were asking about prices in the States for this procedure, but thought I would tell you about what our experiences in both Thailand and Mexico were like as compared.

First, neither of us had to do 3 days of prep. We were told to eat normally and live our lives in the same fashion as we usually do. Then, the day of the appointment we were to get up at about 5 am (to prepare for our 8:30 am appointment) and take this prescription liquid mixed with water. We ended up drinking about 2 liter's worth. By 7:30 am after being cleaned out, we drove to the hospital for our appt., received the anesthetic, got the procedure done and went into the recouperating room.

After waking, the doc went over our CD movies of the procedure and gave us copies for our personal doctor to have as a baseline. We had a complimentary ambulance drive home.

In Thailand, it cost a total of about $300USD, $500 USD if you wanted an endoscopy along with it.

Mexico was a little higher in price, about $500 USD for the colonoscopy. We paid out of pocket.

The biggest difference seems to be the one morning prep versus the 3 days of fasting and observing different eating behaviors. The price was a good value also.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Here's a shocker: The Gastroenterology clinic calls yesterday to check-up and see if all was fine (no blood coming out, fever), but they made a point to tell me "you were nice and clean, which makes it so much easier for the Dr." Are you telling me that some people don't follow the Drs. instructions and clean their colon out totally, because they ate something or didn't take their meds? Ewwwwww....yuk!
Moemg probably knows the answer to this one.

When I turned 50 I had a sigmoidoscopy and had the "pleasure" of lying on my side while doc, nurse and I all took a tour via the video screen. I got lots of praise for the thoroughness of my cleansing, but it was not the kind of praise I'd look for again.

I have subsequently had a colonoscopy where I was out cold - much preferred.

I wonder if a virtual colonoscopy requires all the prep? Anyone had a VC?
TJ

As regards virtual colonoscopy, I have never had one nor do I know anyone who has. I believe they require the same prep. If they see something(polyp) , you still have to have the full blown experience. I have read that virtual colonoscopy can miss small polyps that are visualized under the "old" method. But I could be wrong. I am not a doctor or nurse. I am sure it will be refined over time. Could eliminate some of the risks of invasive testing if it does.

Well, that's 2 of us that read the same thing, WhoDaresWins. I'm just going to do the regular colonoscopy as I understand, also, it is much more thorough. I've seen first hand how awful colon Cancer can be on someone...no thanks!

Had mine five years ago and everything said by everyone was the truth. Can't remember the cost as I had Medicare and a secondary. Now that I'm in a Medicare Advantage plan, the test is free as it is one of the great preventive measurers. Also hearing lately that a CT scan may be right around the corner as the latest and greatest in place of a colonoscopy; however, if they find something, you'll probably have to go thru the procedure anyway to remove the polyps. Going for my annual checkup next week and will ask the doc about the timing for another colonoscopy.

Back
Top Bottom