Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-28-2014, 07:59 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Nodak, try to keep an open mind on this. I swore it was just one of those things they did to scare you and shake you/your insurance company down for money. My gynecologist, bless her heart, suggested a fecal occult blood test. (TMI to describe here but simple, non-invasive home test that indicates whether there's blood in the stool, which could be an indication you have a problem.) It came back positive. The colonoscopy found a nasty that might have developed into cancer over the next 5-10 years. It was easily removed, of course. Now I'm a believer. (And I did thank my gynecologist profoundly.)
Mine at age 50 saved my life.

Here's the thing. Every time I got a fecal occult test, it was clear. However, I was seeing things at other times. (TMI: streaking) By coincidence, the lesion was behaving on the days of the occult test.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #22
I am open to it if needed, I just hope it won't be needed.

"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." Pogo Possum (Walt Kelly)
Nodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #23
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Mine at age 50 saved my life.

Here's the thing. Every time I got a fecal occult test, it was clear. However, I was seeing things at other times. (TMI: streaking) By coincidence, the lesion was behaving on the days of the occult test.
I knew that the fecal occult blood test was only an indication and would probably have gotten a colonoscopy eventually even if the test had been negative. I'm grateful that in my case it was the incentive I needed. I'm on 5-year recall now and at 3 years I had another FOB test because I'm more conscious that I may have issues. It was OK; will be back for another scope next year as schedules.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #24
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
A friend of mine just went through a colonoscopy. They gave him some stuff called "Golitely", he said it tasted terrible and he had to drink at least a gallon of it. Fortunately no doctor has suggested the procedure for me yet and I hope they never do.
My first time was with Fleet Phosphosoda. Mixed a few ounces with ginger ale. No problem drinking it.

The seocnd one was with "Golitely". OMG I barely made it to the bottom of the gallon. I thought for sure I was going to vomit it up. I won't ever use that again.
"For the time being no discipline brings joy, but seems grievous and painful; but afterwards it yields a peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." ~
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
I've only had this procedure once, and I used Prepopik on the advice of other forum members in another thread. It's a bit expensive, but it was really easy to consume and easy on my system. My wife did the Miralax/Dulcolax combo and got very nauseas.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
I posted this link on another colonoscopy thread, but for those who haven't seen it, it's about a new home test that detects cancer-related DNA in the stool. New home test shakes up colon cancer screening
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Thanks so much for all of the responses. This was my 3rd procedure and I highly recommend Osmoprep as it was far easier to take than the 2 previous preps.

The procedure picked up 2 polyps (same as 5 years ago) both of witch were non-cancerous. I'm on the 5 year plan and no longer think of the procedure as torture as long as osmoprep is around.
Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #28
The way I handled it was to pour the prep liquid into a beer mug and pretended I was a chugging down a couple glasses of beer. It worked. Yes, IIRC the stuff was gross, but something about changing the psychological aspect helped me down it. I've had these procedures done twice and it's really no big deal now.

Having had a life-threatening health condition at the tender age of 38 (I survived obviously) during which one shocking procedure after another was carried out on me, nothing phases me now. In fact, this year I had the male equivalent of a pap smear done, where they stick a long cotton swab in your behind. The PA said "now you're going to feel X." I told him to just go ahead and do whatever he needed to do as I'd had every indignity known to god and man done to me and nothing phased me now. He laughed, but it's the truth.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.
My first colonoscopy the doctor gave me the pills & I became extremely ill with my kidneys starting to shut down. The next time they gave me the liquid to drink & said they no longer prescribe the pills because they are too hard on your body.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #30
Had my second colonoscopy a few months ago and the prep was not bad at all. Miralax and Dulcolax with two bottles of Gatorade. Barring any unforeseen problems I don't need to worry about it for another ten years according to my doctor.

Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote