Join Early Retirement Today

Colonoscopy, Guess What
Old 11-20-2006, 08:59 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Colonoscopy, Guess What

I put it off and put it off, finally my family doctor took control. I am now four weeks post-op and the cancer was removed by a procedure called TEMS. I am now the expert regarding colonoscopy, rectal ultrasounds, bowel preps and transanal endoscopic surgery. Do it now. I have been changing the subject around my wife who so far has avoided the dreaded, "I told you to do this two years ago".
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Colonoscopy, Guess What
Old 11-20-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by poboy
I put it off and put it off, finally my family doctor took control. I am now four weeks post-op and the cancer was removed by a procedure called TEMS.
Thank goodness. All the best.

Most likely another life saved.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just turned 50 and know this is something I need to have done......it is also a very easy thing to put off - -
Old 11-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

They knock you out, it's painless. Saved my wifes life, don't put it off.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is about the easiest thing to have done. You won't even know it happened, you'll be in lala land.

I've had 4 already and once you've had it done you'll laugh at how easy it was.

Just get it done!

Old 11-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Ditto to all of the previous replies. I've had 4 at five year intervals since my brother was diagnosed with cancer - he later died of it. The procedure itself is nothing to dread, as others have said. The embarrassment factor is zero if your doctor is any good.

Even the prep, which is really the worst of it, has gotten easier, at least for me. The first couple of times I had to drink a gallon of the godawful stuff, & the last couple of pints were a bear to get down without hurling. But now it only takes 4-5 ozs to do the job.

I've thankfully been clear so far; nothing at all until this past year, and just 2 polyps then.

Just do it, folks. If you're over 50 or have a family history, insist on getting it done even if your PCP doc forgets to recommend it.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:45 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just had it done. The test is a piece of cake. The prep worked sucked but so what. Just one afternoon of drinking some %$# and going to the bathroom.

Good luck poboy!
Old 11-20-2006, 11:49 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Quote:
expert regarding colonoscopy, rectal ultrasounds, bowel preps and transanal endoscopic surgery
Congats, everyone needs to be an expert in something. Glad all went so well in your favor.

I had a scope a few years ago (my first). I was not looking forward to it, especially after the laxative process, but after I woke up and realized that my ass did not hurt, all I wanted was a couple of Whopers from BK.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:18 PM   #9

Ugh. You guys are feeding my hypochondria. There's nothing like asymptomatic killer diseases to ruin your day.

So, of those of you who were diagnosed, did you have the traditional risk factors?
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:33 PM   #10

I am not afraid of the Prep or the procedure itself, but the risks with having it done. People need to know that this test is not without risks!

I had one scheduled last year but canceled it after a friend of mine that was 75 and had a colonoscopy and contracted an infection that put him down for 6 months. Lost 25% of his body weight, was rushed to the hospital twice in that 6 months from 911 calls, and just about died. That is all the colonoscopies for him! He realizes that he does not have that long on this planet, and does not wish a repeat of last year. He gave up one year of fishing for a test that just about killed him!

It is also important to note that that .2% of patients that get a colonoscopy have their colons punctured!

I have to admit to being a little distrustful of the Medical Profession. I have not had very good luck with my allergies and found I knew more after 1 year than most of the doctors that I was visiting. The main piece of information that the medical offices wanted was my Insurance Company. I could tell they were listening for this information. I certainly can not explain all of the appendectomies and tonsillectomies that were done on a routine basis in the 1960's. Add to that if they find Polyps during the procedure and take them out, the hospital makes a lot more money, than if it were just a test. A less invasive procedure is needed. If .2% of airplanes crashed during their flight, I would not fly either.

That being said, if I had a family history of colon cancer, or any cancer or had any abnormal symptoms I would take this test in a heartbeat.

Edit: Corrected my error my a factor of 10

Old 11-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

A less invasive procedure is needed.

There is one but most doctors tell you that the benefit of the less invasive one is not worth the effort to do it.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #12

had one a couple of years ago after putting it off for a year. It was apiece of cake and I was awake through the whole procedure. A little in lala land but awake. The prep is the worst part but even that wasn't too bad.......I am all set for about 8 years.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout
..I am all set for about 8 years.
I am all set forever as I am not having any.

JG
Old 11-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I had some distressing symptoms earlier this year (which I'll not relate here.) Had the colonoscopy and gained peace of mind. I do have diverticulosis so I have made those changes to my diet we all hear about, for instance eating 5 servings of veg and two of fruit daily, more fiber generally, ect.

The procedure was painless--the meds were actually kind of fun, wish I had an IV drip like that at work. The prep was unpleasant, but not soooo unpleasant that I wouldn't do it again. No, it was the waiting room that was the worst. 10 patients in the waiting room, butts clenched, fasted, prepped and ready to go--the nurse steps in to apologize, the doctors are running late so the wait is at least 45 more minutes. One bathroom all the way down the hall ... and then a delivery boy shows up with a big basket of sandwiches for the staff. Groan.

edited for peace of mind--duh.
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawny Dangle
I had some distressing symptoms earlier this year (which I'll not relate here.)
Thank you.

JG
Old 11-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
I am all set forever as I am not having any.

JG
What pushed me over the edge to do it was a co-worker and his problems. No family history of colon cancer but he started having some problems(age 60) and decided to have it checked out. Wound up having a good portion of his colon removed, a kidney removed and a chunk of his liver. Long term prognosis, not good. All orginated from colon cancer.

But we all have choices to make. This is just one of them.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:56 PM   #17

Hey if you guys don't want to have it at least go for the new virtual colonoscopy. Not as good but better than nothing.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:55 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I am not afraid of the Prep or the procedure itself, but the risks with having it done. People need to know that this test is not without risks!

I had one scheduled last year but canceled it after a friend of mine that was 75 and had a colonoscopy and contracted an infection that put him down for 6 months. Lost 25% of his body weight, was rushed to the hospital twice in that 6 months from 911 calls, and just about died. That is all the colonoscopies for him! He realizes that he does not have that long on this planet, and does not wish a repeat of last year. He gave up one year of fishing for a test that just about killed him!

It is also important to note that that 2% of patients that get a colonoscopy have their colons punctured!
Sorry, CT. You're off by a factor of 10.

The rate of major complications (perforation and major bleeding) is about 1 to 2 per 1000 procedures. In a Medicare population, the risk of perforation was 1.96 per 1000 procedures [Gatto, NM, Frucht, H, Sundararajan, V, et al. Risk of perforation after colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy: a population-based study. J Natl Cancer Inst 2003; 95:230]. So, 99.8% safe.

The stakes here are too high not to have the correct evidence available so that others can properly decide for themselves.

I had mine and would agree it was no more than inconvenient and a little embarrassing (I knew virtually everyone in the room). Glad I did it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:29 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Had mine finally done a year ago, after having put it off for several years. The doctor found one small hyperplastic polyp (non-cancerous), which was removed during the colonoscopy. Glad I did it for peace of mind as my grandmother died from colon cancer. And as other posters have mentioned, I did not feel a thing. Was out like a light during the whole procedure. Even the prep part wasn't as bad as I thought.

I've been pestering my brother to get one as he just turned 50.

News anchor Katie Couric's husband died from Colorectal cancer a few years ago. He was the picture of health prior to his diagnosis and I believe I read that he had no family history of the cancer. Think he was still in his early 40's when he passed.
Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:03 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...once you've had it done you'll laugh at how easy it was.
I am getting ready to 'laugh' between Christmas and New Years.

Brother woke up in the middle of his. Demanded more drugs RIGHT NOW!

By the way, thanks, Rich, for the update on the mortality figures. Really! I feel ten times better now.