Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
So much for the taxi man driving you around the block trip, huh? That would have been my plan. I wonder if it is a law, as I was warned before hand to bring someone and I guess I gave her the "whatever" attitude and she sensed I was going to do it on my own. She said I wouldn't be released without someone there with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My guess is that it's good risk management. If you appear lucid and they release you but you get into an accident on your way home, you could sue them and claim they should have known you were still "under the influence".

But I don't get the rule that it can't be a taxi service. What business is that of theirs as long as you aren't trying to drive yourself? If you don't have a spouse handy and any friends who have cars work for a living 9 to 5, what then?
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
But I don't get the rule that it can't be a taxi service. What business is that of theirs as long as you aren't trying to drive yourself? If you don't have a spouse handy and any friends who have cars work for a living 9 to 5, what then?
This is exactly the reason I have not gotten a colonoscopy yet. That and the fact they lied to me about it and withheld information at first. I called on the Friday before and spoke to a different person to confirm times so I could pre-arrange a cab ride and she said that wouldn't do. They wouldn't release me in that condition to a cab. So, I cancelled the whole thing right there.

I suspect they just wanted me in there nice and purged and ready to go to either 1) NOT doing the procedure but charging me for some part of it OR doing it then admitting me overnight for safety reasons since they couldn't release me. Then I get stuck with a massive bill
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

....snip...

My guess is because you could slip a taxi driver a 20 and drive off(to the nearest bar). Or the unknown taxi driver sells you to some guy on the corner.... You said it, the rules there to prevent liability.

I'd ask if they would allow you to use some sort of a certified medical transport service.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
But I don't get the rule that it can't be a taxi service. What business is that of theirs as long as you aren't trying to drive yourself?
It is their business because they are acting on the advice of the hospital's attorneys who are advising in the best interest of their client, the hospital.

And I'd bet my next pension check that they are doing that because sometime, somewhere, some fool drove himself to the hospital and after the procedure took a taxi to the other side of the parking lot, got in his own car and killed somebody on his way home.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #65

A friend took me to the hospital for my last colonoscopy 3 years ago and they made her sign that she would be responsible for me for the next 24 hours! The short-stay nurse went and found her in the waiting room to verify she was there before they even started the procedure (they gave her a pager at that point in case she got a coffee in the cafeteria). Afterwards, an orderly wheeled me to the curb while she drove her car around to pick me up. On the way home she was insistent that she would have to stay with me for 24 hours. I pooh-poohed this idea and had to promise her I would relax on the couch the rest of the day and would call her if I wanted anything from a store or if I felt the least bit unwell.

I think in addition to the driving risk, some places are afraid you will fall and crack your head open after you leave or else have an adverse reaction to the anesthetic. I had a fentanyl cocktail for my anesthetic and it sure was a pleasant experience.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:17 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

I was told that the reason they won't let you use a taxi is because you might stumble between the taxi and your front door--and most taxi drivers won't walk you to the door. Once you get inside your house, they figure you are liable for your own safety.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
The actual Press Release can be found here for those wishing a printed copy:

FDA approves first non-invasive DNA screening test for colorectal cancer
I just do not get the press hype on this one. The new test is no panacea. According to the Colon Cancer Alliance, the DNA test requires collection of a 'full' stool sample for testing, costs ~$600, and is NOT a replacement for colonoscopy.
Colon Health Alert: FDA Approves New CRC Screening Test | Live Your Best Life
The cost of current stool testing is about $22 (before any insurance).
Fecal Immunochemical Test (FIT)
IMHO- Unless the price of DNA stool test drops to become competitive with existing stool test, it does not seem accurate enough to be a game changer for population screening. OTOH- If the price stays high, it seems like another potentially HUGE health care expense with unproven real-life net benefits. If you take the CMS proposal to test the 100M US residents age 50+yrs every 3yrs at $570 each (extra cost over current stool testing), that is roughly $18 BILLION annually. And I have seen no detailed analysis of this DNA test actually saving lives vs following current colon screening recommendations. The company's own controlled research (as quoted by FDA) does not show the new test is statistically THAT much better than current test for trace blood in the stool (called FIT in the press release). The new test is somewhat better at detecting pre-cancerous polyps or cancer that current FIT test, but less accurate at identifying folks who do NOT have these issues. If one actually HAS an undiagnosed pre-cancerous polyp, this new test will still miss it over half the time, and it will miss 1 in 12 undiagnosed colon cancers. Both would be found on colonoscopy (using assumption in the quoted study). OTOH- If one does NOT have any colon polyp or cancer, this DNA test gives a false positive result 1 in 8 times...likely resulting in those folks being sent for a colonoscopy they may not really need (according to existing c-scope guidelines).

Disclaimer- I have NO financial interest in either the new test nor colonoscopy. But I do confess to having a tax bill, health insurance premium payments, and a middle-aged colon
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
I just do not get the press hype on this one. The new test is no panacea. According to the Colon Cancer Alliance, the DNA test requires collection of a 'full' stool sample for testing, costs ~$600, and is NOT a replacement for colonoscopy.
IMHO- Unless the price of DNA stool test drops to become competitive with existing stool test, it does not seem accurate enough to be a game changer for population screening. OTOH- If the price stays high, it seems like another potentially HUGE health care expense with unproven real-life net benefits. If you take the CMS proposal to test the 100M US residents age 50+yrs every 3yrs at $570 each (extra cost over current stool testing), that is roughly $18 BILLION annually. And I have seen no detailed analysis of this DNA test actually saving lives vs following current colon screening recommendations. The company's own controlled research (as quoted by FDA) does not show the new test is statistically THAT much better than current test for trace blood in the stool (called FIT in the press release). The new test is somewhat better at detecting pre-cancerous polyps or cancer that current FIT test, but less accurate at identifying folks who do NOT have these issues. If one actually HAS an undiagnosed pre-cancerous polyp, this new test will still miss it over half the time, and it will miss 1 in 12 undiagnosed colon cancers. Both would be found on colonoscopy (using assumption in the quoted study). OTOH- If one does NOT have any colon polyp or cancer, this DNA test gives a false positive result 1 in 8 times...likely resulting in those folks being sent for a colonoscopy they may not really need (according to existing c-scope guidelines).

Disclaimer- I have NO financial interest in either the new test nor colonoscopy. But I do confess to having a tax bill, health insurance premium payments, and a middle-aged colon

I must confess I was a bit excited when I first heard about it, but after reading more, I am not. Basically from what I gathered in reading was the benefit of this test is another slightly better tool for someone to use who will not take a colonoscopy.

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #69
Gone but not forgotten

Instead of beginning a new thread on the general subject of colonoscopies , just a few points that seem to fit:

Upper Endoscopy vs. Colonoscopy... simple explanation:
Understanding upper endoscopy and colonoscopy - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute | Boston, MA

And then... a word about the "why" of colonoscopy.
Obviously looking for digestive system problems, such as diverticulitis, but mostly to check for cancer or potential cancer causing polyps. Having some experience with this, with a sigmoid resection that prompted my retirement 25 years ago, some thoughts.

First.. knowing the what, where, when and why of the physiology by going to the websites that discuss the subject... before having the procedure. Knowing what the doctor is looking for, and where he is looking.
Sigmoid colon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most "first' colonoscopies are prompted by digestive problems or the appearance of blood. Should the colonoscopy show evidence of cancer or precancerous polyps or lesions, the next step is to determine the course of corrective action. Suspicious abnormalities are usually biopsied to determine the type of treatment. With the advent of laproscopy... not common at the time of my treatment some cancers can be resolved with minimum surgery and limited discomfort/recovery time.

In my own case, a sigmoid resection was prescribed. A six inch section of the sigmoid colon cut out and the ends stitched together... A six day hospital stay, and a three month recovery period.

Much confusion about the process. While it took me 3 months to recover, a neighbor had a less involved resection and was back to work in three days.
.................................................. ...........................
Re: the colonoscopy itself. For me, not a big deal. I ask for minimum anaesthesia, as others have mentioned, the pain is mild, and I watch the video along with the doctor, and can ask questions about the occasional polyp or other things that show up on the screen. It looks like the white room scenes from 2001 Space Odyssey. YMMV

After cancer diagnosis, one year colonoscopies for a few years, then five years apart, and now... not at all, unless I have physical concerns. so far, so good.

What Is a Sigmoid Resection? (with picture)

(one more thing... that happened before the last tie DW had a colonoscopy. the doctor prescribed a "special" pre-op prescription, not covered by our Medicare D plan... It was an out-of-pocket $70. Since we're pretty sophisticated about this stuff by now, it was a waste of money, and no easier to take than Colyte.)
What is the Best Colonoscopy Prep? | Colon and Rectal Disease Information, Treatments, Top Doctors
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post

If anything those that are reluctant to undergo a colonoscopy might consider Colonguard especially since it is covered by Medicare and Medicaid.

The CMS approved it the same day as the FDA which is very unusual.

"Officials at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)— which runs the federal health programs for seniors and the poor — said they plan to cover the new test once every three years for people ages 50 to 85 who have a normal risk of developing colon cancer."
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug View Post
I would never have a colonoscopy test because you can go to the drug store and get a FIT [ fecal immunochemical test] test which is about $5 and give you nearly the same information and if worried get a ultrasound.
Andy Rooney of 60 minuets was killed by that test and he was in good health but the doctors convinced him to take the test.
I hate having colonoscopies. Yes. Multiple. That said, I'm from a Lynch syndrome family and had 2 this year: 7/7 & 7/23. Then surgery. 1@ stage 2, 2 @ stage 1. They tried to get it all at the cheaper procedure but those darn carpet polyps are difficult to excise. Colonoscopy is definitely cheaper than chemo. That's what sis got to have at 50. Other sis & br were lucky like me. No mets for us. Our MDs do the FIT test first but it always leads to a colonoscopy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
I was told that the reason they won't let you use a taxi is because you might stumble between the taxi and your front door--and most taxi drivers won't walk you to the door. Once you get inside your house, they figure you are liable for your own safety.
Chiming in with a sedation story! I had some minor outpatient surgery done once . I wanted to be awake for it, so they just gave me a nerve block, and hooked me up to an IV drip of Valium. During the surgery whenever I asked a question about how things were going, the surgeon told the nurse to increase the Valium drip. I asked a lot of questions and when I left there I was completely, legally stoned. No one said anything about not driving, so I drove myself home very, very carefully in this strange new world....
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #73

I was also fully awake for the 7/7 one but totally out for the 7/23 one. Thankfully bc OR followed immediately

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

I did Colon Assist in here in AZ. Boarded doc. Excellent follow up. One low cost. Highly recommended.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I turned 50 so that is the time for this procedure. I checked with my insurance carrier today on this as I have a $5500 deductible. Having really never used my insurance before, let me tell you the whole process is a land mine trap of "gotcha's". First of all they say it's "free". But you also have to have a consultation which is not free. Then if any polyps are found and removed it is instantly changed to a procedure and I will have to pay for the entire procedure. Of course they offer no estimate for me on this. So I look to the area for approximate costs and they can run easily over $3000 -$5000 plus the consulting fee, plus who knows if I get screwed on the anesthesiologist who may be out of network also.
I have looked on the internet and have located a colonoscopy center that charges a $950 flat rate for procedure which covers everything including polyp removal. If any are needed to be sent to pathology lab it will be a flat $150 fee also. I am considering doing this as I know up front what I am paying and won't get screwed by the land mines of physician referral, out of network people, pathology labs, consultation fees, unknown cost at location I choose, etc. Curious what others may think about my possible choice to go "on my own" with this at a fixed reasonable cost instead of risking getting poked in the rear financially after already being poked in the rear. Plus my yearly deductible expires in less than 3 months, so if something was bad, I would be facing a new deductible again quickly.

Colon Assist was great!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

OMG! I just had a colonoscopy at Kaiser, no charge. Found out I had diverticula and internal hemorrhoids but no polyps this time. Prev colonoscopy at Virginia Mason, about 10 years ago, found a polyp.