Competitive Athletics?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Kind of wide open question.

Did you, do you, will you engage in athletic competition? (The operative word is competition).

What sport(s)? When? Amateur? Pro? Semi Pro?
For Fun? For health? For some type of gain?

How did/does it affect your life? :cool:

Did - Lots in HS. Soccer and cycling in college. Did bike racing for about 6 years until 2014. Would love to get back into it but cardiologist says no mas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does competitive internet and tv surfing count?

Played adult hardball for a number of years, but had to stop do to diminishing eye sight, as most games were at night. Now playing softball during the day as a replacement. Also used to shoot USPSA competitions, but also that fell by the wayside for the same reason.

I assumed pretty much all boys did, at some level. I certainly did. Baseball - little league, high school, college intramurals. Swimming in high school, soccer in college and in adult leagues until I had too many injuries. As far as effecting my life, it taught me that I'm not ultra competitive, am a fairly good loser, and a relatively gracious winner. I think those are both results of not being that competitive. Of course, that also kept me from being more than a decent athlete. I also learned that I truly dislike type-A, winning is everything types. But I really enjoyed playing and competing. Wish I could still do it, but the body disagrees.

My avatar is a photo from six years ago, but that's pretty much still me. I race triathlons and also run competitively. I grew up a runner.

I guess I would classify myself as a sub-elite: not professional level, but high level competition top 5s and 10s (regardless of age/category) in local and regional events, able to hold my own at the national level in my age category, top 1/3rd at Worlds in my age and competitive category. I once had a goal of earning a "pro card" in triathlon, but the Navy got in the way of that as I'm not in a line of work that's conducive to that level of training and travel time. So, I happily compete "for fun" though I'm very competitive with it and go out to win without being a jerk. Age (38) has mellowed me some and now I'm much more relaxed about my races than even a few years ago. I thank my wife for that.

A few weeks ago, I qualified for the Boston Marathon in 2017 by running 2:57:13 in my first marathon ever. Circumstances will dictate whether or not I am able to participate. My long-term triathlon goal has long been to qualify for the Ironman World Championships in Kona, but I've not had the time to dedicate to training for that level as yet. That's on the ER bucket list.

I am struggling with when/how to give up my sport. I've been competing consistently since I was 25 and before that all through school. It's been such a big part of my identity, I've not quite cracked the nut on how to let go and "let myself go" without some sort of depression. I think about it daily...

But right now, I'm enjoying a few weeks of downtime before I start easing back into training... for what? I don't know yet.

Last edited:
competitive football in my youth, competitive golf now

Does competitive internet and tv surfing count?
:cool:

I did not play any sport, let alone competing in anything. How did that affect me? Well, I am still at a BMI of 24 (down to 23.7 today :dance:), and should be at no risk for knee or hip surgeries. Never been to the ER room for any physical injury my life (knock on wood).

However, as a nerd, participated in 3 college entrance exams (all STEM), and won first place in 2 of the colleges. However, failed the 3rd, the one I really wanted to get admission to. For each department (you have to choose whether you want to be an EE or ME, etc...), the colleges admitted only the top 50 students out of several thousands that they allowed to take their test). Did that count?

Last edited:
I enjoyed playing team sports like football and softball. Problem was that I wasn't particularly good at them.
Slow runner, which meant no "skill" positions in football. I originally played offensive and defensive lines in intramural college games, but my slow speed meant I was no good on offense for running plays. So I was relegated to defense only.
Never could hit a fastball, so never made the cut in Little League :(. FINALLY, I found a niche playing softball. I was mediocre, so at least didn't embarrass myself. I played in a men's league until I was 55 years old, when those mediocre skills deteriorated.
So, now I just do individual sports - running, swimming, and cycling. Fringe benefit now is that being in my 60's, I have a few awards for first place in my age group in races and triathlons I have done! :dance:

Played basketball and baseball in high school. Started running 36 years ago to get in shape. Wasn't competitive at first. But once I aged into the 55-59 age group, I started to finish highly in my age group. After getting a first in my age group in a 5k, I became competitive. I got injured and took 4 years off. Now I'm running again and the competitive urges are coming back. Hoping to qualify for the Boston Marathon this fall.

Back in the day yes. Hockey through college, football and tennis through high school, and baseball in little league. Ran track and cross-country as well in high school. Now play adult league tennis and still play ice hockey twice a week. I wouldn't say that it is competitive although we do keep score and my bruised ribs after getting crushed last night would say otherwise as well but all contact is incidental. We do have a few tournaments through the year. At this point it is for health (again the ribs may disagree), both physical and mental as it goes a long way to maintaining some of the friendships that will keep me going.

Soccer for a couple years around 1st grade.

Taekwondo for ~4 years during middle and high school. I competed in a few amateur tournaments each year, winning 1st in my age group occasionally.

I played basketball, volleyball, and soccer in HS. Basketball for two years in college before knee surgery marked the end of that career.

In my mid-20's to early 30's I played racquetball competitively, holding my own in "A" level tournaments and dabbling in Opens. I stopped competing when my girls got old enough to start doing their own sports -- I couldn't be two places at once.

I started running at age 47, to try to get back in shape. At 51, I occasionally run a race but I am in no way competitive. I'm slow. A couple years ago I though about learning to swim so I could enter a triathlon but I haven't made the commitment.

Kind of wide open question.

Did you, do you, will you engage in athletic competition? (The operative word is competition).

What sport(s)? When? Amateur? Pro? Semi Pro?
For Fun? For health? For some type of gain?

How did/does it affect your life? :cool:

HS - football, track
Golden Gloves boxing 1975-1977

HS - track, cross country, gymnastics, volleyball
College - lacrosse and cheerleading

Adult - I ran a good number of 5k's and a half marathon. Ran into some chronic health problems in the past 3 years which leaves me doing light yoga, easy hiking, and paddle boarding. My competitive sports days are behind me now.

Baseball & Golf through early high school. On very good slow pitch softball team through college (summers). Many intramural teams during college (flag football, basketball, soccer, broomball, softball). Some softball after college but mostly these days it's golf - in a weekly competitive men's league during the late spring/summer.

Broke an arm playing soccer when I was a kid. Came to my senses and switched to mental competitions.

Way more interesting and safer too.

Football: 6th-8th grade, 10-12th 1st team all conf 11th&12th), 1 year at Div 1 football, 2 yrs at Div 3 football
Basketball: 4th-12th. Played in 3 state final 4's. Lost state championship by 7 points senior yr. All conf jr and sr yr. 2 years of Div 3 college B ball. Numerous base basketball teams (USMC)
Baseball: 4th-12th. Honorable mention all conf senior year.
23 yrs active duty Marine. Just like playing a sport. Haha

Today: Golf, wave runner, kayak, umpire high school and legion baseball and referee high school volleyball.

Body is holding up fairly well for a 50 yr old with that resume. No complaints, no regrets.

Never did serious sports as a kid.

Started CrossFitting and have never felt more healthy and capable in my life. A few years later made it to the CrossFit Games Masters which takes the top 20 worldwide in each age group. My back was a little banged up (from some non-crossfit related falls) so had to take it easy, but had a few good events and an amazing week competing! It's rare for a sports organization to give its masters competitors as much respect and hype as the elite class, but they are really doing it right. Here's a little taste of the women's 50-54 masters age group, (skip ahead to 1:35:13 for the impressive men's 60+ age group)

https://youtu.be/b6hLv078TJc?t=1h16m

Don't confuse the sport of CrossFit with what they would have you doing down at the local CrossFit gym. Most people who go to the gyms in my town are just there to keep healthy and have some fun with friends and the variety of ways the workouts challenge you to keep you interested in coming back every day. Experienced coaches scale the workouts down appropriately for each athlete so the oldest and the youngest can get the same training benefits from each session. The previous gym I went to had a 92 year old member!

HS- track and field.
College - track and field and softball
Post college- did some of those Miss Fitness shows way back when.

Now women's ice hockey league.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I've never been a competitive athlete...just a weekend warrior.

I played rec hockey for 25 years, slo-pitch and softball for 20 years, ran a few half-marathons, and have been lifting weights for 35 years. I set a few personal milestones lifting, but they were nowhere near even semi-elite levels.

My best accomplishment is doing 300 chin-ups in an hour...the world record is an amazing 1009. I'm currently training to make an attempt at 500 in 2 hours.

gymnastics as a youth until I cracked a couple vertebrae which ended that. Badminton as a youth (through high school). Now I race sailboats.

I do other activities, but not competitively.

edit -- note I left out young kid sports or high school sponsored sports.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom