Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yep, as far as I know there is only one right way to do it. But there are plenty of wrong ways.....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado

I own a Concept2, as do a couple of other fitness fanatics in my office. We are all in agreement that it is a grueling, exhausting workout if used properly. None of us use it at the resistence levels or strokes per minute that you folks are describing - meaning that we use it at considerably lower resistence levels and considerably fewer strokes per minute. Read the Concept2 manual, available online, and see what they recommend - more like a resistence level of 3-5 and SPM of under 25 if you intend to use it for any length of time and get significant aerobic benefits. 30-60 minutes at that resistence/pace and I am pooped. I've been a marathoner, but if I tried 30 SPM at level 10 I'd last about 90 seconds and hate the machine forever. The Concept2 is by far the most demanding piece of exercise equipment I have ever owned, and the others in my office agree. I wouldn't recommend it as a first piece of exercise equipment just because it is so demanding and is the sort of thing that's going to end up gathering dust or being sold at a garage sale unless you are really dedicated. But everyone I know who has stuck with it agrees that it's just about the best aerobic workout you can get.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On the issue of what machines a gym buys, I wonder if one important consideration is how they make the gym look to a prospective member.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
if I tried 30 SPM at level 10 I'd last about 90 seconds and hate the machine forever.
Hmmm! I am not in great shape like you at all, couldn't even do a 5K walk much less run a marathon like you, and after 5 minutes at level 10 and 29.6 spm I wasn't even breathing hard. Maybe perspiring a little, but not really feeling like I had been putting much effort into it. Felt like I'd been coasting. And I think the machine is cool.

I suspect it's a matter of different strokes for different folks (literally? just that maybe some of us are more naturally inclined for big muscle exercise like the C2 and others maybe more constitutionally suited to running)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
On the issue of what machines a gym buys, I wonder if one important consideration is how they make the gym look to a prospective member.
That could be. Those six Concept2 machines all lined up in a row by the window sure look nice.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Yep, as far as I know there is only one right way to do it. But there are plenty of wrong ways.....

He's got some good ideas, very badly executed. Example, he cheats by pulling his butt forward while pretending pull an overhead, or side. And limp wristed.

I do those, with straight back, and fully extending the chain until it hits the limit. Sometimes with rigidly extended arms, only rotating at the shoulders, other times in a normal rowing fashion. Naturally for side pulls the trunk has to turn as well. I vary the routine, but never do more than seven minutes. As noted earlier, the last minute is an all out effort, with very forceful and loud exhalations.

Yeah, that is another thing, learn how and when to breathe in and more importantly, out.

I also only use my pinky only and at times the finger next to it on each hand. The other fingers and thumb do not contact the pull handle. The reason would require a long explanation of arcane Ju-Jutsu techniques. I do all of the overhead, side (low middle and ear level) with palm down and palm up grips.

Bear in mind, I am a long time Kayaker, in addition to other stuff that works the whole body. While I am not visibly muscular there are a lot of trained muscles and sinews and various connective tissues which had many many years workouts.

I can not advise to follow my example unless done very slowly. In a long ago discussion with a Ju-Jutsu partner of mine who had years of combat surgeon experience etc. he said "there are a lot of little muscles than can get torn easily". To prevent that takes many years of diligent and careful practice.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Hmmm! I am not in great shape like you at all, couldn't even do a 5K walk much less run a marathon like you, and after 5 minutes at level 10 and 29.6 spm I wasn't even breathing hard. Maybe perspiring a little, but not really feeling like I had been putting much effort into it. Felt like I'd been coasting. And I think the machine is cool.

I suspect it's a matter of different strokes for different folks (literally? just that maybe some of us are more naturally inclined for big muscle exercise like the C2 and others maybe more constitutionally suited to running)
I've never been on one these machines, but to your point, I suspect some of us are geared or built for sprinting, while others are marathoners. As a kid, I was a sprinter and never gravitated to the longer distances.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
He's got some good ideas, very badly executed. Example, he cheats by pulling his butt forward while pretending pull an overhead, or side. And limp wristed.
The cellophane socks and bike blinkies probably don't help either. I didn't realize it at first, but he's just goofing around for his giggling buddies.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
The cellophane socks and bike blinkies probably don't help either. I didn't realize it at first, but he's just goofing around for his giggling buddies.
I'm amazed that he didn't injure himself badly. I was so amazed/shocked at what he was doing that I didn't even notice the bike blinkies and cellophane socks until you pointed them out.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if spending an hour on a rowing machine constitutes "chronic cardio"?

Dear Mark: Chronic Cardio | Mark's Daily Apple

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #51
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:

If this looks like you at level 10, and you can do this for 5 minutes without breathing hard or feeling like you've done much of anything, my hat is off to you. 30 spm is a race pace for serious rower. On one serious racing forum, 30 spm for 20 minutes at level 10 on Concept2 was described as an exhausting piece of work. Bear in mind that I can do 5 hours, 100 miles, at a sitting on a Schwinn Airdyne Pro - so if you can seriously do what you say you are doing, perhaps you are a budding Senior Olympian. The Concept2 is notorious for people (including gym "experts") having no clue what it's all about. On one forum where a guy reported that he had "no problem" doing 30 spm and sent in a video, the experts responded that he was merely "lifting weights with a bicycle chain" and not actually using the Concept2 at all.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Here's a video of a guy doing 30 spm for 90 seconds, but not at level 10. If this looks like you at level 10, and you can do this for 5 minutes without breathing hard or feeling like you've done much of anything, my hat is off to you.
No, I don't look like that. He is leaning back almost to the point of lying flat on his back after each stroke. I just pull back to the point shown in the diagrams at my gym, which is about the same distance back as the women on the other video and nowhere near lying down.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's a video of a guy doing 30 spm for 90 seconds, but not at level 10. If this looks like you at level 10,
Obviously a strong guy, but no rower in a shell has ever rowed like that. He would end in the lap of the guy behind him, (or in a scull likely losing stability of the shell) and he would be catching his oar ("catching a crab") during that layback.

This may of may not be a good exercise, but it has nothing to do with rowing. I think originally the Concept 2 caught on as a replacement or supplement to indoor tanks at universities with large rowing programs, and the use was naturally geared to trying to improve speed in a shell.

Once you put it in a gym or in your basement, rather than a boathouse, people can of course use it any way they want. I am sure comewhere there is a video of some guy lying on his back and pulling overhead with straight arms. Why not? It then becomes "C2 exercise" not necessarily related to rowing as a sport.

Ha
Old 10-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #54
Administrator

Today's workout - - didn't increase the time, since I'm just starting this again, and didn't increase the strokes per minute or change the setting from 10 (as you can see in the photo below, that I took right after I finished). I'm mostly hoping to increase the average watts, 91.4 today and so far so good. Still not breathing especially hard but definitely perspiring.

I wonder - - if I ever get to be a Senior Olympian, do I get a crown? I like this one with the friendly smilie:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg readout.jpg (39.7 KB, 6 views)

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

HA said -My only negatives are what I mentioned in another thread- figuring out how to stay clean without dealing with itchy rashy skin. This is getting much better though. One big positive is better sleep. Last night I went to sleep at 11, then woke to pee at 6. I was hungry so I ate a few olives and a piece of cheese, then back to sleep until 8:30. And although I doubt I will ever get a 6-pack, my back and legs are getting ripped to the point that these parts look almost like an anatomy chart. I never expected this at my "somewhat mature" age.

Ha, I wish I could sleep 7 straight hours. That is excellent, I miss those days. I encourage you to back off the fitness and definitely don't get the 6 pack. Women of many years younger, will begin to take notice. Then you will feel compelled to trade in " the old car " for a " newer model". This will hit you hard when you are at your new condo ( congrats by the way) with several rug rats in your living room all the same age. Some calling you Dad, while others saying Grandpa.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #56
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
That could be. Those six Concept2 machines all lined up in a row by the window sure look nice.
Don't these look nice? They do to me, anyway. Click on the photo for the full sized picture. During the entire hour that I was on the floor at the gym today, only one other person used one and that was only for a few minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Six_Concept2.jpg (79.1 KB, 17 views)

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

Hmmm! I am not in great shape like you at all, couldn't even do a 5K walk
Did you mean to say that you don't think you could walk 2.5 miles?
Old 10-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #58
Administrator

Quote:
Did you mean to say that you don't think you could walk 2.5 miles?
I don't know; haven't tried in years. I have never officially entered a 5K walk and someday I want to try that. Guess we walked that far most weekends in 2007 just for fun, down in the Quarter, maybe even in 2008 but not lately. I'm not in very good shape! But working on it. I used to walk a mile on the indoor track at the gym, though I haven't lately.

Right now, my foot is giving me some minor problems so I know I couldn't walk a 5K this week; need to baby that foot. I also know for sure I couldn't ride a bike 60 miles like you do all the time.

Edited to add: 5K is more than 2.5 miles, right? It's 3.1 miles

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #59

Quote:
Right now, my foot is giving me some minor problems so I know I couldn't walk a 5K this week; need to baby that foot. I also know for sure I couldn't ride a bike 60 miles like you do all the time.
You need to quit using that saran wrap on your feet.

Any how, keep up the good rowing, thats awesome performance.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #60
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
You need to quit using that saran wrap on your feet.

Any how, keep up the good rowing, thats awesome performance.
Aw, thanks! I think the rowing machine was made for me. As soon as I get the watts up a little and feel comfortable, I'll going to increase to 10 minutes. That will probably be a week or two. And then, go from there.

- - H. Melville, 1851