Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What is that weird thing he does with his wrists?
Heh, heh, heh, very slick and very well done on the demonstrator's part. That hand motion is well understood by Ju-Jutsu players.

It is strain relief of the bones in the forearm and of the wrist. Further it maximizes the power when the hands are close to the body. Also that rolling motion prevents having to cock the wrist sideways.

In free weight lifting with say 20 lb in each hand it is also applicable, rotate the weight as pushing up.

There is a bit more to it, but this should suffice for now.

Try it, you'll like it it. Keep your grip very near the ends of the handle, and sort of like palm the handle end. Watch it a few more times, he does it very well.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Heh, heh, heh, very slick and very well done on the demonstrator's part. That hand motion is well understood by Ju-Jutsu players.

It is strain relief of the bones in the forearm and of the wrist. Further it maximizes the power when the hands are close to the body. Also that rolling motion prevents having to cock the wrist sideways.

In free weight lifting with say 20 lb in each hand it is also applicable, rotate the weight as pushing up.

There is a bit more to it, but this should suffice for now.

Try it, you'll like it it. Keep your grip very near the ends of the handle, and sort of like palm the handle end. Watch it a few more times, he does it very well.
Interesting to know what that is about. The motion is the opposite of the forearm roll when rowing in a shell. He flexes the wrist; in rowing once your stroke is finshed you entend the wrists, to cleanly lift the oar out of the water and go forward in the recovery (blade moving toward the bow) with the blade parallel to the water.

I believe that the best demos are the ones given by concept2, and by wet rowers.

Ha
Old 11-21-2011, 02:52 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Never rowed shells. So unfamiliar with the particular rowing mechanics. I do understand your description.

As for why the guy in the demo is doing it, truly I have no idea. That hand motion is used in many throws, unlocks, guide moves in Jutsu. It only is partially shown early on, in greater detail much later on, then becomes automatic over many years of practice.

Maybe some orthopedic surgeon, or sports medicine/rehab type can elaborate on the pro's and con's.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

I thought of you guys while rowing my $44 piston smooth rowing machine today.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Mine is at the Y.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #126
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
What kind of rower do you have? I have a Precor piston type that I've had for a good 20 years. I used to use it a lot but have gotten away from it the last 7 or 8 years. Now with my renewed interest in rowing due to the C2 at the gym I'm going to dust it off and try it some at home. As I recall, it felt different than the C2 does and I'm not sure which gives a better workout.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #127
Moderator Emeritus

I quit working out on the Concept2 last week. I was mostly riding it for novelty, to "spice up" my workout. After a while it just wasn't a novelty for me any more (imagine that? ). Oh well.

Now I'm just doing my weight lifting, but have been able to increase my weights so I am happier with that workout than I was, and don't need the novelty any more. I really think the C2 provides a fantastic workout. I'll probably start using it again after a while (and more seriously), but for now I'm taking a break.

I think the Concept2 is a fantastic machine and probably even better if you own one, and can work out on it frequently. I was just working out on it when we were at the gym (MWF only). I love the fact that you can find out what others of your age and gender can do on the C2, and I find that to be so inspiring.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610

What kind of rower do you have? I have a Precor piston type that I've had for a good 20 years. I used to use it a lot but have gotten away from it the last 7 or 8 years. Now with my renewed interest in rowing due to the C2 at the gym I'm going to dust it off and try it some at home. As I recall, it felt different than the C2 does and I'm not sure which gives a better workout.
It's a Tunturi, very simple, no electronics. it may be more pleasing to use a Concept 2, but I'm not sure how a C2 could give a better workout.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

I am almost 40% of the way to one million km on mine. Some days I row moderately fast (for an old guy), some days slow and easy with the telly on. I will likely get more distance in winter, as on nice days in the fall I often preferred to go outside walking. Since I started on September 10, I have burned 32,000 kilocalories rowing and walking, with walking figured at 80 kc/mile, which I think is quite conservative for my hilly walking, often with a pack. Rowing accounts for 18,000 kc of the 32,000 total. In total, this amounts to 414 kc per day, 7days a week, since my start date. I do not get bored rowing or walking, and I am very happy about that. On days that I row farther, I get ravenously hungry by the evening meal, so my weight has stayed about where it was, maybe a few pounds lighter.

I do not know if it has improved my health status, but I do look a bit better. It certainly cannot hurt my health, and it does make me feel better about my day.

One poster joked that I was the pied piper of rowing, and I admit to being very enthusiastic, but for sure there are may other things that might be better for others. (Probably not to include piston rowers for many of us.)

Ha
Old 11-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Ha, those are some awesome statistics and results, especially when considering that the 425 kcal is an average,and not just certain days when everything was optimal.

I'm sure your quality of life and well being must be highly improved, as well as your health. What an inspiration you are.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Ha, those are some awesome statistics and results, especially when considering that the 425 kcal is an average,and not just certain days when everything was optimal.

I'm sure your quality of life and well being must be highly improved, as well as your health. What an inspiration you are.
I changed it to 414, as I had made an error in my formula.

I have a plan to C2 row the navigable length of the Danube, 2412 km. I wont make it this year, but I'll map the distance from the Black Sea mouth to various major cities and historic town along the way, to give me interim goals.

And W2R, thanks for your kind words.

Ha
Old 11-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Oh, well in THAT case.... Just kidding. Either number is awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
I have a plan to C2 row the navigable length of the Danube, 2412 km. I wont make it this year, but I'll map the distance from the Black Sea mouth to various major cities and historic town along the way, to give me interim goals.
Maybe you could even follow your progress on Google streetview, if it covers riverside towns along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
You're welcome, of course. In less than 3 months of rowing on your new Concept2, you have accomplished quite a lot.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Since I started on September 10, I have burned 32,000 kilocalories rowing and walking, ...
Ha
Impressive. If one accepts the idea that ~ 3,500 kcals delta equates to about a one pound weight gain/loss, then this has helped you keep off ~ 9# of weight gain in less than 3 months.

I have trouble keeping up with exercise. I started a few months back, then (separate from this), twisted up my back (minor this time), and am now just getting back to it. I do feel better when I do it, it's just so easy to 'fall of the wagon'.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha
Impressive goal. Need some Viennese waltz to go along with that.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #135
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Over the past week I have used my old Precor piston-type rower at home a few times when I couldn't get to the gym. I've found it to be a more strenuous workout (at about 22 strokes per minute) than the Concept 2 (at about 28 strokes per minute with the setting about 6.) It seems to stress my abs and legs more (but not necessarily my shoulders or upper arms.) I enjoy the Concept 2 workout more, though.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Over the past week I have used my old Precor piston-type rower at home a few times when I couldn't get to the gym. I've found it to be a more strenuous workout (at about 22 strokes per minute) than the Concept 2 (at about 28 strokes per minute with the setting about 6.)
I'm not sure how one could give a more strenuous workout than the other. It all depends on what you put into it, right? With either machine you could row slowly as if on an old-fashioned date on the lake in the park, or as if being pursued by Jaws.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Comparison of Concept 2 with Nautilus Compound Row machine
Old 12-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Comparison of Concept 2 with Nautilus Compound Row machine

I have been working out on the Nautilus Compound Row Machine (a weight machine), during the weeks before, during, and after the time when I was working out on the Concept2. I haven't worked out on the Precor machine, but I thought I'd compare the C2 with the Nautilus machine.

The Nautilus machine is more of a weight machine - - I just set the weight at 100 pounds (or whatever), put my feet on the footrests, and pull. While the pulling motion seems superficially similar to the Concept2, the seat doesn't move. I much prefer the C2 because it seems to bring many more back and shoulder muscles into play. Also the Nautilus machine doesn't really allow the legs to do as much (since the seat doesn't move) whereas the C2 exercises them nicely during the first part of the pull.

I think you can get a very thorough workout on the C2, especially if you set the resistance at 10, pay attention to your form, and then try to keep the average watts up. Set some goals for yourself. This machine is used by actual rowers from what I understand. It can provide a very rigorous workout, or just some light, playful movement, depending on how you use it.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This machine is used by actual rowers from what I understand. It can provide a very rigorous workout, or just some light, playful movement, depending on how you use it.
Some university and club rowing programs have upwards of 100 of these. And some of these big and tall men and women can really spin those babies.

I've been experimenting with better motivation to get me on the seat early enough in the day that no matter how engaged I get in some other activity I get enough milage to keep my 7 day ma comfortably above my ytd ma.

Hands down for motivation I recommend 50s rockabilly- Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, the Collins Kids, the best of the best rockers. And at least as regards Chuck Berry, what great lyrics. It doesn't hurt that when I listen to this music and exert myself I see some bouncy blond with a cute butt wearing Spaldings and rockin out with me in the school lunchroom after a basketball game.

In the middle section of my 1:10 workout today I was going at 38-42 SPM, depending on the music, and keeping good form and doing 2:40 splits with enough breath left over to sing along with Chuck.

Only problem its that it puts in full on party mode!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Holy Cow, you were really cookin'!!! Chuck Berry is terrific.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Holy Cow, you were really cookin'!!! Chuck Berry is terrific.
Right know he is singing Reelin and a Rockin-- "Well I looked at my watch, and to my surprise, I was dancing with a woman twice my size..."

Allelujah, carry me over there!