consequence of meniscectomy

windsurf

Recycles dryer sheets
Until I was 50, I pounded the pavement 4 or 5 days a week and visioned myself in the future running 10 ks at 75 or so. Then, kicking against a heavy bag in martial arts, I tore my medial meniscus (knee cartillage). As best as I know, the orthopod carved out about 1/3 to 1/2 trimming back the tear. I heeded the advice to stop the road running though I kept at aggressive tennis several times per month, replacing running with the bike and hiking. The knee feels no different than the unoperated one. But I encounter people who keep running after the surgery. Though I know there are some studies indicating a higher likelihood of arthritis after such surgery, I have heard a doc or two say that they are not sure that running truly accelerates the arthritis. I fantasize about getting back to running (maybe softer trails rather than roads). Does anyone here have experience with continuing to run after a menisectomy?

No hard info for you, just a suggestion that you fully consider the "impact" of continuing to run. A lot of my friends are older military guys who ran to stay fit as part of their job. Lots of these guys are having significantly reduced quality of life, hobbling around on kneee joints that are now bone-on-bone. Eventually, they get a new knee, which is not a lot of fun. I think a lot of these guys wished they'd chosen another form of exercise so that they could be pain free right now.

But, I'm not a guy who enjoys running. I admit I don't "get it."

windsurf said:
Until I was 50, I pounded the pavement 4 or 5 days a week and visioned myself in the future running 10 ks at 75 or so. Then, kicking against a heavy bag in martial arts, I tore my medial meniscus (knee cartillage). As best as I know, the orthopod carved out about 1/3 to 1/2 trimming back the tear. I heeded the advice to stop the road running though I kept at aggressive tennis several times per month, replacing running with the bike and hiking. The knee feels no different than the unoperated one. But I encounter people who keep running after the surgery. Though I know there are some studies indicating a higher likelihood of arthritis after such surgery, I have heard a doc or two say that they are not sure that running truly accelerates the arthritis. I fantasize about getting back to running (maybe softer trails rather than roads). Does anyone here have experience with continuing to run after a menisectomy?

I have stayed away from the knives. I am 50 almost 51 and have been running for 40 years. I have a partially torn acl in my right knee did it in the 1970s found out when I had an MRI about 7 years ago. I have had pain in the knee at times and the ortho surg would tell me we can clean it out and yadayadayada, I say nah and he says good idea the torn cartilage will grind away anyway and the pain will go away.

So far so good just ran 9 miles today and my tendinitis in the ankle is well GONE!!

Go half and half.

I ran pretty steadily from my mid 20's to mid 50's with no problems other than the odd sprain all those years. I used to do about 2.5 miles 3X's a week.

I'm 63 now and still have not had a problem but I modified my program somewhat when I retired at 54.

I walk briskly for 5 minutes then sprint all out for 1 minute and repeat until 30 minutes are up.

I always wear/wore the best cushioned shoes I could get and kept a steady weight.

I do machine exercises 2X's a week, including leg curls, leg extensions and standing calfs.

Zipper, your routine sounds tailor made for producing growth hormone pulses. I hear you about the cushioning shoes. That's why I'm headed to the trails for a little diestance. Did a super eights today on the bike at the rec center. Thanks to all for the responses. My assumption is that there are probably a few menisectomies out there but not so many who are still "in the game" like Zipper. Use it or lose it. Carpe Diem.

FYI, no studies to quote, but I've had quite a few total knee replacement patients tell me that they had menisectomies when younger and then resumed running....it's a tough call, I know, especially when you enjoy running.

My husband, who has had menisectomies on both knees, has decided it's not worth the risk to him.

Love to run, but make sure I wear very high end shoes. I have flat feet and the overpronation was killing my knees. Since I switched away from the ten dollar Keds I've been very happy.

The only people I know who ended up shredding their knees after intitial problems was by skiing, not running.

I know a lot of guys who buggered their knees playing basketball. :'(

So between the two, it sounds to me like lateral movement is was causes the problem. If I start feeling any pain, I'll switch to bike riding, though.

I ran competitively for 10+years, and never suffered a ligament tear. However, vortually every runner I met tried their best to avoid the knife........... ;)

I would start slow, and work up to it. Most runners are really good at knowing how their body feels. Stay away from pounding concrete, use trails and grass if possible.

And by all means, spring for GOOD shows AND orthotics.......... ;)

Most of my nagging injuries were caused by biomechanical problems, and once I got orthotics, the problems stopped..........

Back
Top Bottom