Consider skipping that steak for dinner...

I heard it on CBS this morning and also thought it was an interesting find relative to red meats, we'll see if it's confirmed (not suggesting otherwise, but these "finds" are sometimes prematurely sensationalized).

I thought it was also interesting that high levels of L-carnitine are also found in some vitamins, energy drinks and supplements often used by bodybuilders and lay-weight lifters.

Attachments

• Carnitine_chart.png
    Carnitine_chart.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Where do I sign up to eat steaks for the sake of science?

I'm switching to an all bacon diet, the graph shows that its cleary more healthy!

I wonder if this is also true for grass fed beef as well as grain fed beef. :confused:

We need to wait a bit and see if other scientific work backs this up and if other scientists don't shoot holes in it. The media is not a good source of health and medical advice, IMHO.

Rather than asking "Where isn't the beef?" we should be asking "Where's the science?"

Last edited:
I like the idea of bacon wrapped steak burger myself.
Does this help? Maybe eat the bacon and leave the burger, it's bad for you donchaknow...

Attachments

• blt-burger-080610-xlg-7748899.jpg
    blt-burger-080610-xlg-7748899.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
:ROFLMAO: For some reason, every time I read the title of this thread I get the urge to have a big grilled steak for dinner tonight. :D
I actually just bought beef tenderloin at the grocery store this morning and am about to light the grill. Guess I should've pulled out my smartphone before buying...

I actually just bought beef tenderloin at the grocery store this morning and am about to light the grill. Guess I should've pulled out my smartphone before buying...
I have a rack of ribs smoking all day, should be done in about an hour. I put a couple of baking potatoes in there about a half hour ago, and DW just got some corn bread ready to pop into the oven.

In any event, I tune out all these health scares and just live with "all things in moderation." I think the reduced stress about what you are putting into your bodies has to offset some of the "badness" of some of what you are eating.

Does this help? Maybe eat the bacon and leave the burger, it's bad for you donchaknow...

Yum. Looks tasty. Eat the beef and the bacon, skip the bun, and we're fine. Besides, grains are much healthier when you drink them.

I have a rack of ribs smoking all day, should be done in about an hour. I put a couple of baking potatoes in there about a half hour ago, and DW just got some corn bread ready to pop into the oven.

In any event, I tune out all these health scares and just live with "all things in moderation." I think the reduced stress about what you are putting into your bodies has to offset some of the "badness" of some of what you are eating.
+1

The benefit of early retirement must be far more than needed to offset the health cost of red meat.:)

ziggy29, I am with you, also

I will let a glass of Merlot to neutralize any ill effects of the meat.

I gave up red meat, chicken and pork ten years ago and never looked back. Once you rid yourself of eating it, you lose the craving. I still eat fish on occasion, but otherwise I stick to a vegetarian diet.

Every once in a while I see baby back ribs with barbeque sauce coming off the grill and question my decision, but so far I've been able to walk away. Actually, just the smell of it is pretty nice every once in a while, and it doesn't even consume any calories.

I gave up red meat, chicken and pork ten years ago and never looked back. Once you rid yourself of eating it, you lose the craving. I still eat fish on occasion, but otherwise I stick to a vegetarian diet.

Every once in a while I see baby back ribs with barbeque sauce coming off the grill and question my decision, but so far I've been able to walk away. Actually, just the smell of it is pretty nice every once in a while, and it doesn't even consume any calories.
Any objective changes to your health or health markers?

Ha

Well, I was healthy before I gave up meat, and ten years later, I'm still healthy. I take no medications, am the proper weight, and don't have any physical limitations in my mid forties. Whether that continues into my fifties and sixties is yet to be seen, but I feel like I'm living a very healthy lifestyle by avoiding meat, chicken and pork. I don't eat fast food or processed food either.

Q: What do you call a bald guy eating a steak?

A: A dead man.

(According to our media, that is.)

I gave up beef for other reasons, but I sure don't mind the health benefits.
I have a small filet 3 or 4 times a year, but overall my cholesterol is way down and my wallet stays full longer:)

Everything in moderation. I try not to eat too much of a particular meat though I favor chicken and fish most of the time.

I have cut my meat intake drastically over the last few years and increased my portions of vegetables and fruits. It has helped me maintained my BMI < 25.

I have cut my meat intake drastically over the last few years and increased my portions of vegetables and fruits. It has helped me maintained my BMI < 25.

+1 But I did have a steak last night. I try to limit myself to red meat once a week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom