Join Early Retirement Today

Considered Organ Donation?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Considered Organ Donation?

Willing organ donors who properly register their wishes can help save lives, and avoid some of the ethical problems arising from "organ harvesting" (see recent thread discussion).

In the northwest US at least (Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho)there is a non-profit organization that maintains a registry of willing organ donors, to register their wishes. See Living Legacy Foundation - Saving Lives through Organ & Tissue Donation - WA, MT, ID, AK for information.

Lots of people, myself included until just this week, are under the impression if they have indicated on their driver's license they will be an organ donor, their organs will be so used when they die.

Unfortunately, the driver's license "D" on the license back side is legally considered only "intent" to donate, but is not legal "consent". All too often, when such people die, their organs cannot be donated to save others lives, because their family did not know of their wishes, or are unable in a time of grief to consider the matter timely, and so do no give legal "consent" as next of kin.

As the Donate Life Registry explains:
"What is the difference between having a donor designation on my driver’s license and signing up on the Registry?
A. The donation code on a driver’s license is considered intent to donate. Signing up on the Registry is considered consent to donate, and for individuals 18 and older, it does not require the signature of any other person. For registrants under 18, the consent of a parent or legal guardian is required."

So, to find out more about organ donation, and registering your wishes in this regard check out their website: Living Legacy Foundation - Saving Lives through Organ & Tissue Donation - WA, MT, ID, AK

There must be similar regisltries for other areas of the country.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2007, 12:48 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As I got older I noticed there was less demand for my organs.

Ha
Old 12-04-2007, 06:27 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have wondered about what HaHa mentioned. I have always intended to be an organ donor but at what point do my deteriorating tissues become useless to others?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
As I got older I noticed there was less demand for my organs.

Ha
... oh, never mind. Too easy.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:52 AM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I have wondered about what HaHa mentioned. I have always intended to be an organ donor but at what point do my deteriorating tissues become useless to others?
I was wondering that myself.

Is there an age limit?
Old 12-04-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Kidneys: I know they "recycle" 70+ year old kidneys
Bone/skin: probably not much of a age limit on these
Corneas: can easily check whether these are still "recyclable"
Heart/liver/pancreas: don't know

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I was wondering that myself.

Is there an age limit?

Start with checking out the registry website Living Legacy Foundation - Saving Lives through Organ & Tissue Donation - WA, MT, ID, AK for more info. They have quite a bit of educational info and links to more at this site.

Also, there is a link there to organ donor registries around the country---open the pull down menu by state to find your local registry.

As to age, I think lots of organs and tissue can be used no matter how old you are when you die. And being on the registry assures that if you are in the unexpected accident that takes your life at an unreasonably young age, your wished as to organ donation can be implemented, and some good can come out of that tragedy. Others' lives can be saved or enhanced.

A real "living legacy". Lots of good reasons to register your wishes to be an organ donor.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:13 AM   #8

Some Q and A's about organ donation at this specific link within the lcnw site. Says you are never too old to be a donor at one of the questions.

Living Legacy Registry - Get The Facts