Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Even if they do, it sounds like Mr. Old doesn't know how to use it....

We share and share alike in everything except working on the cars, and yup, we have one of them new fangled machines.

She hasn't asked me to do anything, except pull up her slacks and underwear, and hooking up some other things. She hasn't complained even once. The finger tips can wiggle a little bit, so almost everything is going smoothly as far as the computer, and doing most two handed stuff, except for lifting.

What Amethyst said is about the way everything is going. My bride is pretty independent like that.

The undercounter opener and the lid opener are being ordered today. Will be good for both of us, as the arthritis won't be going away. We already have a one hand can opener.

This isn't the first time for a serious fall, as one happened about ten years ago, with even more damage to teeth, and multiple breaks and sprains. As I recall, even that didn't change our lives very much, but the full recovery was more like several months.

And so we're back to a quiet life... a little bit less out and about, but overall, very grateful that it isn't too serious. I've passed on your wishes for a good recovery and she asked me to thank you for your concern.

I'm kinda hoping that we won't forget about disabilities. As we get older, there are more people in our lives that have varying levels of disability, whether hearing, vision, or physically crippling problems that affect mobility and limit the full enjoyment of life. It's a reminder of things that can be done to get ahead of the game, by either buying a home that is adaptable for handicaps or modifying the existing home...

With the exception of a walk-in tub, our senior CCRC homes all have:
Single level with same-level garages
Wheelchair-wide door ways
Single levered faucets
Lever door handles throughout the home
Glide out under counter drawers throughout
Shower seats and safety handles
All room pull cord emergency alarms
Carpeting throughout except for baths and kitchen
Extra electrical outlets high on walls to eliminate bending over
No sill doorways
No steps anywhere in house
Extra overhead lights and ceiling fan switches from all room corners
Walk in closets
2 1/2 car garage with full wall shelving on one side to avoid house clutter

Any suggestions for more eldercare and handicap friendly ideas welcome.

Thanks again for your concern...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 11:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
This could help for jar opening.

Amazon.com: under the cabinet jar opener
I was just going to recommend this. I have one. Don't use it much but I have it just in case. An elderly friend of mine has one and she bought one for me.

http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Off-Jar-Ope...ter+jar+opener

Old 05-30-2015, 07:26 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

My 6-year-old grandson has broken his right arm 3 times. He is right handed, but it just amazes me how well he does. His current cast is "waterproof". We went swimming 2 days last week. I just have to dry it off with a hair dryer on low heat. He is able to bend his fingers at the joints closest to his palm. He does fine on the computer, but does sometimes use his left hand to write or draw. He's getting pretty good at it since he's had so much practice.

This is actually his second cast (on this break) and starting next week he will have to wear a brace part of the time--like when he does gymnastics.

And just in case anyone wonders, the doctors says his bones are fine. He said this is just what happens when a 3 foot tall kid falls 6 feet (off the monkey bars).

Good luck to your DW. I bet she'll do fine. You might ask if she can get a less restrictive and/or "waterproof" cast.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

\With the exception of a walk-in tub, our senior CCRC homes all have:
Single level with same-level garages
Wheelchair-wide door ways
Single levered faucets
Lever door handles throughout the home
Glide out under counter drawers throughout
Shower seats and safety handles
All room pull cord emergency alarms
Carpeting throughout except for baths and kitchen
Extra electrical outlets high on walls to eliminate bending over
No sill doorways
No steps anywhere in house
Extra overhead lights and ceiling fan switches from all room corners
Walk in closets
2 1/2 car garage with full wall shelving on one side to avoid house clutter

Any suggestions for more eldercare and handicap friendly ideas welcome.

Thanks again for your concern...
(emphasis mine)

Imoldernu, how are the walk in closets eldercare or handicap friendly? I'm not challenging you, but I just don't get it.

One suggestion that might be helpful, are motion detecting night lights. I love mine and I think they prevent falls. I have some that plug in, and others that are battery operated for my hallway which does not have any outlets.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:48 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think I misunderstood this thread. Mr. Old briefly mentioned his wife's "minor difficulty", then went on to apply his great experience in pedagogy to helping us understand the general problem of disability in the overall structure of life and the universe in the context of ER.

A much larger problem, which could perhaps not be helped very much by Old just doing the chores himself.

Ha
Old 05-30-2015, 11:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
(emphasis mine)

Imoldernu, how are the walk in closets eldercare or handicap friendly? I'm not challenging you, but I just don't get it.

One suggestion that might be helpful, are motion detecting night lights. I love mine and I think they prevent falls. I have some that plug in, and others that are battery operated for my hallway which does not have any outlets.
The motion light is an excellent idea. We have tap-a-lights next to the bed, and keep the living area and bathroom lights on... dimmed, all night.

As to the walk-in closet... perhaps not necessarily required, but ours is quite large, and wheelchair accessible. The requirements for wheelchairs to turn around, is a 5 ft. circle. Also, though we haven't installed them, there are hydraulic closet rods available which drop down for wheelchair accessibility
Another possibility for wheelchair access, is an under the bathroom "counter" open area to allow getting closer to the sink and flexible hose shower heads are a must.

I didn't mention raised toilets, or the many grab bars in the bath, or by the bed, which can also be helpful.

General recommendations for handicap areas include solid floors... tile or hardwood, but we don't agree with this. Our carpeting is high quality low pile, with firm cushions that make wheelchair movement easy, while providing warmth and protection against slipping.

Since we live in a regular home in a CCRC community, we get a chance to see how others adapt to disabilities... some quite creative, such as permanent floor mounted railings for movement between rooms, and lowered tables... wheelchair level. Anything that can help avoid bending over or help in getting up from a bed or any seated position makes for more comfort for the disabled.

Another simple item that we use is a two way intercom type baby monitor. With vaulted ceilings, and carpeting, sound doesn't travel well, and this helps.

All of this may seem to be overkill, and not on the wish list for younger people, but for those who expect to live in the home over the long haul, it may make sense to plan ahead when building new, or remodeling.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think I misunderstood this thread. Mr. Old briefly mentioned his wife's "minor difficulty", then went on to apply his great experience in pedagogy to helping us understand the general problem of disability in the overall structure of life and the universe in the context of ER.

A much larger problem, which could perhaps not be helped very much by Old just doing the chores himself.

Ha
Yeah... guess you're right.
Been a slow day...
Old 05-31-2015, 03:00 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

My boyfriend was in an industrial accident so broke his pelvis and crushed his right hand. Using a walker with one hand meant a place to put his forearm and strap it down. He had surgery on his right hand and when he told them he could still move his fingers they made the cast bigger so he couldn't. He was a student so had to take notes left handed and the day they did surgery was a final exam that was essay so they let him take it on the way home from the hospital and let me write it for him. He wanted to tape record his class but his teacher didn't want him to so every day I took him to school and waited for him then when we got home he read me his left handed notes and I wrote them right handed.
Bathing with a broken pelvis and cast on the hand wasn't too bad. We got a seat for the shower and I put garbage bags on his hand with rubber bands then he could shower with the hand held shower.