Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The thing that gets me is that I'm already lean as a monkey and exercise plenty. I realize that there's a large genetic component to this, but I'll see if there's something else that's contributing to it.
Cortisol production? From past experience I have reason to believe that I generate more of it than the average person.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The thing that gets me is that I'm already lean as a monkey and exercise plenty. I realize that there's a large genetic component to this, but I'll see if there's something else that's contributing to it.
I got BP readings like yours....from 158/98 to 116/78. I eliminated stress from my life, I quit smoking, I eat broccoli and other green veggis every day, I exercise 90 minutes/day, I lost 36 lbs and am near optimum BMI now.....

I now get BP reading from 155/98 to 112/76....

I quit taking my BP....I'm healthy and don't care about stupid numbers any longer. I'm more worried about if I should have rewaxed my surfboard yesterday.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig
TromboneAl, are you a diabetic?
No.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:34 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

DH's BP (just borderline high, not high enough for meds) came down quickly when he was diagnosed with low thyroid (borderline low) and started taking meds for that--apparently low thyroid can cause high BP.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Al,

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but too much salt in the diet is probably one of the leading culprits in causing high BPs.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
They started me on Lisinopril 20mg . I tested it today it was 110/70. I have heard for years that you would never know if your B/P was high unless you tested it. Well, I have felt like crap for some time now but since taking the new meds I know feel good again.
Lisiniprol is amazing in that it literally would drop my blood pressue by 20pts within an hour of taking it, and I was only taking the 5mg tablet for my borderline BP. Unfortunately, I did not tolerate the medicine well as I got 'the cough' and felt like I was hacking up a lung every morning in the shower. Pay attention if you get the cough as I have read it can cause permanent lung damage.

Now trying 'Amlodipine' which I seem to tolerate well, but hasn't made a dent in my BP readings...
Old 01-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks FarmerEd. I was on this same medicine for almost 7 years before I quit taking it and never had any problems. I sure hope I do not have problems with it now because it is working. Oldtrig
Old 01-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #48

Quote:
I was first diagnosed with high BP at age 21 by a Navy doctor during my RELACDU (release from active duty) physical from the USMC. I was probably in the best physical condition I have ever been. the doctor made me report to sick bay twice a day for 3 weeks where a corpsman checked my BP. This was very convenient because sick bay was right there in the barracks. Enough of my BP readings were within the normal range that he signed off on my RELACDU.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
IIRC, BP readings vary over the course of your day, depending on activities/stress and might also be affected if you just woke up or recently consumed a meal. Probably a good idea to check BP at 2-3 "specific times" every day to establish a baseline before moving to a more random checking frequency.
Yes, I agree. And at least in my case, I also need to sit still for at least 10-15 minutes before taking a BP reading. If I take it right after walking around, the systolic number is typically fairly high (130+). Once I sit for 10-15 minutes, it almost always comes down to around 120-125. My diastolic number seems to be more consistently normal, typically around 78-85.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Some BP thoughts:

1) I've read the following about how to take your BP at home:
Quote:
Sit in a chair with your back supported and both feet flat on the ground.
Your arm must be supported so that the upper arm is horizontal and at the level of your heart. You could use a pillow on the table in front of you.
You should not have eaten for 1/2 hour and should have been awake for at least 1 hour.
Do not speak or move while measurement is taken.
2) Prehypertension is systolic:120-139 and diastolic:80-89. The second one, diastolic is what my doc seems to focus on even though I'm regularly in the middle of that first systolic range.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sit in a chair with your back supported and both feet flat on the ground.
Your arm must be supported so that the upper arm is horizontal and at the level of your heart. You could use a pillow on the table in front of you.
You should not have eaten for 1/2 hour and should have been awake for at least 1 hour.
Do not speak or move while measurement is taken.
But if you want to match the readings at the doctor's office, you sit on the edge of an exam table with your legs dangling, and the busty nurse squeezes your left hand between her arm and her breast, starts pumping, and asks you about your weekend.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

No wonder you are worried about your BP.