Join Early Retirement Today

CoQ10 Did Not Lower my Blood Pressure
Old 01-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

CoQ10 Did Not Lower my Blood Pressure

Just a quick note to mention that despite articles like this:
Can CoQ10 lower blood pressure?

Yes. CoQ10 deficiency has been shown to be present in 39% of patients with high blood pressure. This finding alone suggests a need for CoQ10 supplementation. However, CoQ10 appears to provide benefits beyond correction of a deficiency. In several studies CoQ10 has actually been shown to lower blood pressure in patients with hypertension.12-14 The effect of CoQ10 on blood pressure is usually not seen until after 4-12 weeks of therapy. Typical reductions in both systolic and diastolic blood pressure with CoQ10 therapy in patients with high blood pressure are in the 10% range.

I found that even after 5 months of once per day 200 mg CoQ10, my blood pressure did not go down. In fact it went up a bit. The variability of the readings seemed to decrease.

Other things may be related. I measured my BP first thing every morning, and it was much colder in the winter than in the summer. However, I would have expected that if this had a dramatic effect, I would have noticed some change.

I concluded that CoQ10 isn't worth the expense.

Sometime I may post my results.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

emph mine:

Quote:
Yes. CoQ10 deficiency has been shown to be present in 39% of patients with high blood pressure. This finding alone suggests a need for CoQ10 supplementation.
No it doesn't.

What if 39% of patients with low or normal blood pressure had a CoQ10 deficiency?

There's so much info floating around, and I think most of it tells us nothing.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I concluded that CoQ10 isn't worth the expense.
Sometime I may post my results.
IIRC a few years ago it was touted as an anti-oxidant. How would we be able to tell whether it's working if we already get enough anti-oxidants? Or what if we don't have any other risk factors?

I've noticed that the 100mg tablets are disappearing in favor of the 200-300 mg versions, which makes me a tad skeptical of its benefits.

At this point I don't know which way to go. I'd like to see a study of the effects on people who stopped taking it cold turkey.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Can CoQ10 lower blood pressure?[/URL]

[URL="http://www.inspiredliving.com/heart-cardio/coQ10-benefits.htm"]Yes. CoQ10 deficiency has been shown to be present in 39% of patients with high blood pressure. This finding alone suggests a need for CoQ10 supplementation.
Heh. Correlation does not imply causality. Although sometimes I'd does waggle its eyebrows and whisper "Hey! Look over there".
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Well, there was an actual experiment in which they gave some subjects CoQ10, and saw a decrease in their BP.

Also, I didn't feel any clear indication of improved athletic performance.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
....I found that even after 5 months of once per day 200 mg CoQ10, my blood pressure did not go down. In fact it went up a bit. The variability of the readings seemed to decrease.....
How high is your blood pressure? Maybe it's not high enough for CoQ10 to affect it?

(I don't even know what CoQ10 is or what it's supposed to be good for.)
Old 01-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, there was an actual experiment in which they gave some subjects CoQ10, and saw a decrease in their BP.

Also, I didn't feel any clear indication of improved athletic performance.
I'm on a low dosage, generic BP med that costs me almost nothing, and it works. Maybe your doctor might recommend something like that if your BP is high enough to be dangerous. Take care.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm on a low dosage, generic BP med that costs me almost nothing, and it works. Maybe your doctor might recommend something like that if your BP is high enough to be dangerous. Take care.
+1 My BP med went generic years ago (Quinapril, was Accupril), It's about $3/month - probably cheaper than CoQ10, and proven effective. And I'd guess we know more about side effects and quality control than we do with CoQ10.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Administrator

I expect that if your blood pressure is normal or near normal you won't see a difference.

I've been on alpha blockers for 3 years for something else, and one of the side affects was supposed to be that it lowers BP but it hasn't. If anything my BP is higher than 3 years ago, but I'm not bothered as it is within the top end of normal range.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Nothing beats finding out what really works for oneself. Recently I determined that vinegar gives me severe indigestion in about a day. Yet when I googled to see if others had a similar experience, all I found were links detailing how vinegar is used to PREVENT indigestion.
a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
gone traveling

I never heard this claim of it reducing BP. I take CoQ10 for heart health as a possible preventative since I'm on a statin which may deplete the hearts CoQ10 levels. Also, I suspect it has helped my cholesterol levels, but do not have any objective proof of that. For BP, I take low dose liscinipril, very cheap and effective.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yes, it's probably time for that.

My systolic averaged 131 at the start of my experiment, 141 at the end. I've had a few readings of around 150 as well. Last time at the doctor's it was 132. I used Lena to check the monitor, and she had her usual 115. Based on my weight and exercise, I'd expect mine to be lower.

Note that I've had occasional high readings in the past (as in this thread from 2009).

I guess I'll have to make an appointment with a new doc and see what's what.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey, T-Al,

On a separate, but related, note.....

Inquiring minds want to know: were you able to solve your "Help me glue my nuts together" issue with the bottle the CoQ10 came in?

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...her-57003.html

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Eat beets. It really works! Significant reduction in blood pressure. Good for employment testing (I know).

Be aware. Beets are high in oxalic acid and are not advised in cases of gout.

In case anyone is interested, cinnamon powder reduces blood sugar, not just cosmetic.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Eat beets. It really works! Significant reduction in blood pressure. Good for employment testing (I know).

Be aware. Beets are high in oxalic acid and are not advised in cases of gout.

In case anyone is interested, cinnamon powder reduces blood sugar, not just cosmetic.
Ed, tell us aboiut both of these, could you?

Ha
Old 01-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
So does alpha lipoic acid
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I never heard this claim of it reducing BP. I take CoQ10 for heart health as a possible preventative since I'm on a statin which may deplete the hearts CoQ10 levels. Also, I suspect it has helped my cholesterol levels, but do not have any objective proof of that. For BP, I take low dose liscinipril, very cheap and effective.
+1

I take COQ10 because I also take statins. Before this thread I had not heard of COQ10 reducing blood pressure.

I have taken BP meds for over 30 years. I think I have tried most of them, both generic and brand name, sometimes 3 at a time. A few work, most don't work, and a few have bad side effects. For example, lisinopril gives me an intolerable ace inhibitor cough.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550
Hey, T-Al,

On a separate, but related, note.....

Inquiring minds want to know: were you able to solve your "Help me glue my nuts together" issue with the bottle the CoQ10 came in?

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...her-57003.html

omni
Yes. On every bike ride I carry the flip top container that the CoQ10 comes in. And that's what started this experiment.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

My systolic has ben as high as 145. I take Diovan for BP, Lipitor and 150mg of CoQ10 to prevent further loss of memory (I am 73). When I took a physical in November my systolic was down to 117. I started taking the CoQ10 last year prior to that there had been very little variance in my BP.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I don't think it will hurt you, but it does cost quite a bit, and an internist just laughed when I relayed what my primary had told me about it.

I stopped taking it, as there was nothing measurable in my tests after a year that told me to keep going with it. I am on statin and bp meds.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote