Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Look on the bright side. Not too long ago, if you had a pre-existing condition, you might not have been able to buy health insurance at all.
True. Of course, the flip side is that the policies they *can* buy are increasingly HMOs with increasingly narrow networks. You can't purchase *any* policy on the Marketplace (i.e. eligible for cost sharing and premium assistance) in much of Texas that will include M.D. Anderson, for example. If you had a preexisting condition with cancer or a family history of it, and you'd normally like to have Anderson as an option, well, too bad.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
It seems as if only a very few people posting in this thread actually got shafted by their doctors, labs and hospitals regarding ridiculously high fees. Lawman (the OP) never returned to the thread, so we don't have enough info. Trawler (post 35) got jerked around for sure and I think there has to be more to Flyboy 5's story (post29). But, mostly the outrageous charges turned out to be just interesting anecdotes (as long as you had insurance).
It might be that many of us have dealt with this issue and just not posted about it. Or, we managed to deal with it, but only after endless hours on the phone and lots of conflict. Wild overcharging by health service providers is so common it's now (may be) the norm, as is the constant effort to find new things to bill (such as facility fees) and insurance companies effort to avoid paying is very well documented.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:47 AM   #183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
...........You can't purchase *any* policy on the Marketplace (i.e. eligible for cost sharing and premium assistance) in much of Texas that will include M.D. Anderson, for example........
Amazing, considering how hard Texas worked to make sure the ACA was a success.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #184
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It might be that many of us have dealt with this issue and just not posted about it. Or, we managed to deal with it, but only after endless hours on the phone and lots of conflict. Wild overcharging by health service providers is so common it's now (may be) the norm..
I've never had to deal with wild over-charging because it always takes care of itself. And, yeah, I receive the big bills, too. For me, the problem often has been that the doc's office neglects to bill the secondary insurance.

There are some docs (and maybe people who work in medical billing) on the forum and perhaps they could explain why the original charges are so wildly exorbitant.