Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Hmmm. It now makes sense why my bcbs policy paid so much for my ultrasound, which was done in December, 2015. Maybe bcbs realized they had to pay out more in claims to reach the 80%, so they started funneling high payments to certain hospitals where they have some sort of kickback program established. That way bcbs doesn't have to rebate as much (or any) money to the premium payers for 2015. They'd keep it all *in house*. Just a theory....
Did they make you remove your tin-foil hat before they did your ultrasound?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #82
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Did you take an extra grumpy pill for breakfast this morning?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

No, just the usual one grumpy pill. Nothing extra today. Thanks for asking.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:27 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
$71 a month or a year? Because the former would be significant to most people.

Year.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
I was watching a show on hospital rates for supplies and services. Apparently they just make up prices out of thin air for their list. That is how you get a charge of $10 for a Tylenol. They expect to be negotiated downward if they bill a person.
HA! Just like a Mexican flea market. Or Mr Haney on Green Acres
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Cost-Conscious, Self-Managed Care
Old 03-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Cost-Conscious, Self-Managed Care

Quote:
I was watching a show on hospital rates for supplies and services. Apparently they just make up prices out of thin air for their list. That is how you get a charge of $10 for a Tylenol. They expect to be negotiated downward if they bill a person.

I read an interview with the authors of a book on "Spinglish"- phrases or words used as euphemisms, or in the interests of political correctness, or just to obfuscate. They had sources for the everything- you don't have to make this stuff up. One hospital bill reflected a charge for a "disposable mucus extraction system". Said system was a box of Kleenex.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
No, but unfortunately it appears that you may be the wearer of an ***hat.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #88
Administrator

Let's disagree without being disagreeable, eh?
Old 03-19-2016, 01:26 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

That's the current solution for the "wealthy Arab sheikh" problem. Seriously. There is a real concern with hospital management groups that they maximize revenue opportunities from some classes of customers that self-insure. That leads to the insane charge master pricing for a Tylenol or mucous recovery system (or the bag to hold your clothes, only $20, cheap...).

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I had lunch with an intern recently and I asked him why he thought that medical costs were so high. He said it was simple, the insurance companies were charging too much.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
That's the current solution for the "wealthy Arab sheikh" problem. Seriously. There is a real concern with hospital management groups that they maximize revenue opportunities from some classes of customers that self-insure. That leads to the insane charge master pricing for a Tylenol or mucous recovery system (or the bag to hold your clothes, only $20, cheap...).
But I have seen the opposite of this for routine procedures like screening colonoscopies. Cash price lower than what is billed to the insurance company, and even lower than what the insurance company discounts!

It's just a mess.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:00 PM   #92

My step-son was charged $22,000 for 12 stitches in the ER in Brooklyn NY...

Not a misprint...22,000...twenty-two thousand dollars....insurance knocked down to something in the neighborhood of $400 for the entire visit.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps they need to limit the amount of a discount that they can offer off of the rack price for any procedure in order to get some sensibility in pricing. For example the most a provider can discount is 80% and their "best" price for a procedure is $400 then the most they could charge is $2,000 (even to an Arab sheikh).

Old 03-20-2016, 07:57 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
My step-son was charged $22,000 for 12 stitches in the ER in Brooklyn NY...
That is crazy. Maybe there was more to your step-sons treatment than a simple stitch up but two weeks ago I had a cut stitched (5 stitches) at my local urgent care. They billed my insurance company $81, my insurance paid $53.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2021t View Post

... If you simply believe I'm just ignorant, that's okay. I'm not.

... us as consumers and and health care professionals as providers. That was my point.
Well, maybe a bit ignorant in some areas.

note: bold by redduck
Old 03-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #96
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Well, maybe a bit ignorant in some areas.

note: bold by redduck
Hell, redduck, I'll bet there are more than just that one. We could turn my grammatical errors into a drinking game!

I just hope the moderators don't start charging for all my mistakes. I'll have to go back to work.
r2021t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:48 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmyfinger View Post
...Yes, we definitely need to be aware of out of pocket costs. I also have a Group Health plan in Washington and mine is a bronze high deductible plan with a $4500 per person deductible...
Just using as the above quote as an example of why a doctor can't tell a patient how much medical treatments/procedures may cost.

The doctor would have to know which insurance company you are using (e.g. Blue Cross); which plan (e.g. Gold, Silver, Bronze, etc.); where you are in your deductible; if there are there any medical bills that have not yet been processed; if your policy contains some sort of clause regarding not only a per person deductible but also a family deductible (and many other variables that don't immediately come to mind).

And, then there's that pesky co-pay along with hospital fees (if applicable) and consultant fees (if applicable).

The conversation goes like this:
Pt. I have sore throat, eight days now.
Doc: Sore throat, huh?
Pt. Yep.
Doc. OK, I'll need to look down your throat.
Pt. What will it cost?
Doc. Well, it might depend if you want me to use a tongue depressor or my finger, but I will need to charge you if you want me to wash my finger. Depending on the plan, it may pay in part for the washing. Also, keep in mind, some plans pay for the tongue depressor, some don't. So, which insurance to you have? Which plan?, etc.

Doc: Okay, now I need to look in your ears.
Pt. What's that going to cost me?
Doc: Want me to look in both ears?
Old 03-20-2016, 05:01 PM   #98
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2021t View Post
I just hope the moderators don't start charging for all my mistakes. I'll have to go back to work.
No worries. Not gonna happen, nohow, nowhere. Otherwise lots of us would have to follow suit.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:38 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Just using as the above quote as an example of why a doctor can't tell a patient how much medical treatments/procedures may cost.

The doctor would have to know which insurance company you are using (e.g. Blue Cross); which plan (e.g. Gold, Silver, Bronze, etc.); where you are in your deductible; if there are there any medical bills that have not yet been processed; if your policy contains some sort of clause regarding not only a per person deductible but also a family deductible (and many other variables that don't immediately come to mind).

And, then there's that pesky co-pay along with hospital fees (if applicable) and consultant fees (if applicable).

Your example is humorous, but with all of your data in their computer, this information should be a click or a finger flick away. With annual per person medical costs in the USA about $9000 per, I think it is past time for docs to know what things cost. Maybe not a tongue depressor but surely an MRI.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Well... I've already given them my insurance card when I made the appointment and when I checked in for the appointment, so they have had that information for some time and should at least be able to tell me what the negotiated charge is for the proposed procedure or test and that it could be lower if I have satisfied my deductible.