Join Early Retirement Today

Cost of Health Insurance?
Old 07-07-2007, 04:09 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Cost of Health Insurance?

I am 40 and should be retiring in the next 1-3 years depending how long I choose to sell my soul for. Anyway, wife works at Microsoft so her benefits cover me. Just wondering what health benefits would cost if that was not the case? Also assuming they go up over time, what is a proper budget amount? My gut says now it is $200 a month andrising to $500 a month in my 60's?
Shabber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2007, 06:28 AM   #2
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabber2 View Post
I am 40 and should be retiring in the next 1-3 years depending how long I choose to sell my soul for. Anyway, wife works at Microsoft so her benefits cover me. Just wondering what health benefits would cost if that was not the case? Also assuming they go up over time, what is a proper budget amount? My gut says now it is $200 a month andrising to $500 a month in my 60's?
javascriptlanDetail(1);
Take a look at this policy.

Link is wrong anyway it was an aetna plan with a 2,500 deductable and 20% co insurance for 502 a month.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:19 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are all different kinds of health plans out there with various deductibles, co-pays, with Rx, without Rx, etc.

A family plan would probably run you 3 to 4 times what your gut is telling you. An individual plan would probably be closer to double your estimate.

Health insurance has its own inflation rate. I've been estimating mine at 10% and that was low last year to the actual 15% increase I got on my premium.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you do a search, I think Sam recently began a thread where people posted how much they were spending on health insurance as retirees. A lot of variability as cost depends on your age, health, and state you live in.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:47 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Start with Health Insurance Consumer Guides to see what legal rights you have in your state. This will tell you a lot about the underlying market and enable further investigation. After spending some time on this site you may even decide to consider relocation to another state.

To retire at 40, even with what I suspect / hope are substantial MSFT stock gains past and future, will require a substantial funding level to meet health insurance needs even if your present health is good.
FinanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, I will so some more research, but looks like it will be a bigger cost than I suspected. So budgeting, I should put in $400 a month for just me and rise it 12% a year?
Shabber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you want pretty full coverage, that sounds about right.

If you're healthy and live a healthy lifestyle, and just want 'disaster' coverage, you might get away with half that much.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 45 (DH is 42). We are currently looking into coverage since ours is through my job and I'm thinking about RE sometime in the next year. From the cursory search I've done, in our state (CA) it looks like we can get a catastrophic plan (with around a 3-5K deductible, 7-10K out of pocket limits and some drug coverage) for around $300-400/mo. for both of us so that's what I'm building into our budget. For full coverage and low deductibles, we'd be paying $600-800+/mo. Since we are both healthy, with no history of illness and relatively good family histories, we are willing to self-insure for the "normal" stuff and go with a catastrophic plan as backup just in case.
meridiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:53 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridiver View Post
I'm 45 (DH is 42). We are currently looking into coverage since ours is through my job and I'm thinking about RE sometime in the next year. From the cursory search I've done, in our state (CA) it looks like we can get a catastrophic plan (with around a 3-5K deductible, 7-10K out of pocket limits and some drug coverage) for around $300-400/mo. for both of us so that's what I'm building into our budget. For full coverage and low deductibles, we'd be paying $600-800+/mo. Since we are both healthy, with no history of illness and relatively good family histories, we are willing to self-insure for the "normal" stuff and go with a catastrophic plan as backup just in case.

Think about these numbers, man they are crazy. 700 a month X 12 is almost 10K add the deductable and you are at 12K a year just for medical insurance. Then if you get sick the fighting you will have with the insurance company.

Wondaful.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health insurance