Cough Syrup (dextromethorphan) Ineffective

I use guaifenesin instead of decongestants for sinus and chest congestion. A Dr. told me years ago that decongestants were only good for locking the congestion in place like a rock. I have never used it to stop a cough, though. Actually the "productive" coughs from guaifenesin are a welcome sign that things are loosening up and cleaning themselves out.

the best cough suppressant is codeine. I prescribed a bottle of tylenol with codeine syrup for myself. this works like magic whenever i or a family member has a bad cough. lets you sleep at night instead of coughing all night.

the best cough suppressant is codeine. I prescribed a bottle of tylenol with codeine syrup for myself. this works like magic whenever i or a family member has a bad cough. lets you sleep at night instead of coughing all night.

I agree. When I can get it I use codeine cough syrup. First a couple of shots of whiskey to clear the phlegm from my throat, then a nice shot of cough syrup to sooth and coat. I sleep like a baby.

DW on the other hand is highly allergic to codeine. She gets very weepy and depressed.

About 2 months ago, I had and URI which led to acute laryngitis. Coughing got so bad that for about a couple weeks I averaged about 3 hours sleep a night and the only way was sitting or propped at about a 45 degree angle.

I don't do well with codeine. Gives me shortness of breath and makes me loopy. My doc gave me a prescription for a suppressant (Benzonatate) in capsule form. Suppressant was better than nothing, but mainly, drank lots (about 2 gallons a day) of water and soup and had to let the URI take it's course (probably the last thing someone having a bad flu or cough wants to hear).

Last edited:
Depending on the severity, menthol cough drops can help.

I use guaifenesin instead of decongestants for sinus and chest congestion. A Dr. told me years ago that decongestants were only good for locking the congestion in place like a rock. I have never used it to stop a cough, though. Actually the "productive" coughs from guaifenesin are a welcome sign that things are loosening up and cleaning themselves out.

Are you sure it was not antihistamines? Those would lock a congestion from cold or something for me.... but decongestants would have my nose running in less than an hour... and I could breath!!!

I go agree with guaifenesin when it does get into your chest... but if all you have is some drainage and cough I do not think it works for that.... maybe I am wrong...

I swear by this stuff;
Delsym DM I can be coughing so hard I can't catch my breath when I take a dose and my cough stops before it even hits the back of my throat, it's that effective. A dose contains Dextromethorphan HBr (20 mg), Guaifenesin (400 mg). In 12 hour version, along with a 12 hour Sudafed, (the good stuff you have to sign for because the druggies make meth from it) I feel like I don't even have a cold any more. But at the end of twelve hours, symptoms return, hits like a freight train and I'm looking for my next "fix". Available on Amazon

Last edited:
I haven't had a cough in years. I don't know why! Guess I'm lucky, for now anyway. Anyway, I don't know of any cough syrups at all. I remember back in the 1980's I used to keep Hall's Mentholyptus cough drops on hand.

If you're looking for natural alternatives: honey is great for a dry, irritating cough. Thyme tea (just a teaspoon of the herb in hot water) is great for clearing lung congestion when you have a wet/productive cough (similar to Mucinex). Inhalation of thyme steam (a couple of drops of essential oil on some very hot water) works great if the cough is due to a sinus infection that is causing post nasal drip.

100% sure. I had been using Sudafed and other serious sinus-drying stuff. It had gotten to where I could barely breathe I was so blocked up.

I've avoided antihistamines since learning of their anticholinergic effect (long-term use implicated in memory loss).

Are you sure it was not antihistamines? Those would lock a congestion from cold or something for me.... but decongestants would have my nose running in less than an hour... and I could breath!!!

I go agree with guaifenesin when it does get into your chest... but if all you have is some drainage and cough I do not think it works for that.... maybe I am wrong...

Depending on the severity, menthol cough drops can help.

Yes, I swear by Hall's sugar-free cough drops.

51vK2-FOu7L.SX337_SY500_CR,0,0,337,500_PIbundle-4,TopRight,0,0_SX337_SY500_CR,0,0,337,500_SH20_.jpg

They seem to work less well when the cough is deeper in the chest, however.

The last two nights I've gotten to sleep my wedging one between my cheek and gums.

When I get a persistent cough, it's usually due to postnasal drip irritating the throat lining.
Best thing for me is a shot of Nasacort once a day when I go to bed. A few days of that and I'm back to normal.

My doc used to prescribe Nasonex for me, but I discovered the OTC Nasacort works just as well.

That’s the only one my doctor recommends because of my blood pressure. I like Robitussin DM.

Last edited:
Youthful foolishness, down the bottle. Get sick and walk like a robot. Robitussin never again.

Your flu may have left you with a bacterial infection, say bronchitis. You probably already know this: Your sinuses and nose could be clear, but you could be coughing up yellow green phlegm. Your doc could also give you prednisone if they don't think you have a bacterial infection.

Recent acute bronchitis (with yellow phlegm) I got amoxicillin and prednisone. First time I ever took prednisone, and I hated it! The amoxi knocked out everything in record time. I stopped the prednisone after 2 days because it made me extremely thirsty and retain water (H2O going in but not coming out = scary).

Your flu may have left you with a bacterial infection, say bronchitis. You probably already know this: Your sinuses and nose could be clear, but you could be coughing up yellow green phlegm. Your doc could also give you prednisone if they don't think you have a bacterial infection.

I came down with “it” 12/28/17. I also had the flu shot. What a cough! I had used benzonatate on the QT to sleep. That was prescribed last year. Cough drops are out. I’ve been coughing so hard I’d aspirate. Went to the doc yesterday. I now have Flonase and a neti pot. She said it may be another 2 weeks before cough subsides. I don’t claim to know jack but you may want to consider a trip to the doc to see if another approach is warranted. :)

Last edited:
What I learned from this thread ... (1) inhale steam from dried thyme and boiling water (2) drink JD, honey and lemon. Almost makes me look forward to getting a cold !

Got some guaifenisen alone, and it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.

I'm getting better slowly. I thought "Man, I bounce back more slowly than I used to," but I realized that it's only been 1.5 weeks since I first showed flu symptoms.

https://youtu.be/BjF9qXQNlYI?t=5s

Is your uvula swollen and does it hang down and get stuck to other parts of your throat? That will cause you to cough. So don't lie on your back. Lie on your stomach and sleep on your stomach, too.

Unfortunately, alcohol can enlarge your uvula.

Back
Top Bottom