Counterfeit Olive Oil article

There are more olive oil flavors than are available at Costco. For different flavors, We go to a local olive oil store for some; and also purchase via olive oil subscription from a place in Temecula California

There are more olive oil flavors than are available at Costco. For different flavors, We go to a local olive oil store for some; and also purchase via olive oil subscription from a place in Temecula California

What place is that in Temecula? It's nearby and could be fun to check it out.

We have a local vinegar and oil store in Portland. We've been buying flavored olive oils and vinegars for gifts for friends instead of wine. It's something different and it's fun to shop there.

Yes, the subject of fake olive oil has come up before on this forum. One can find many news articles describing how pervasive this fraudulent trade is all around the world. What I find most impressive is that even Italians who use olive oil all their life still get fooled.

FWIW, Costco also sells Avocado Oil which I use in place of Olive Oil about half the time.

FWIW, Costco also sells Avocado Oil which I use in place of Olive Oil about half the time.

Yes, I got that avocado oil for the high temp roasting I like to do. Then I drizzle a little OO over it when I take it out of the oven for the flavor.

Is it safe to say the UC Davis Olive Center is an unbiased source of research, especially when it comes to comparing and rating oils produced in California vs Europe? Their mission statement
The UC Davis Olive Center is a self-funded university/industry coalition that seeks to do for olives what UC Davis did for wine.

Is it safe to say the UC Davis Olive Center is an unbiased source of research, especially when it comes to comparing and rating oils produced in California vs Europe? Their mission statement

Here is the UC Davis study in PDF format outlining the methodology.

Attachments

• olive oil final 071410 updated.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
That place is trash just as any other big box place years ago. Just in fashion the last few years. Go local is your best bet. :dance:

Sorry dude - it's not trash as folks testing the Kirkland organic EVOO will tell you. Neither is a lot of stuff they carry.

No olive harvest in Texas. Plenty of lard around here but I'm not ready to adopt it as my cooking fat of choice.

Regarding Texas, there are several olive oil producers there. I have purchased some of their product. An internet search will find them. here is a article Texas producers find new oil fields—olive groves

Regarding Colorado, there are local purveyors of imported and domestic olive oil with a traceable source. We often go to Oliverde, but a search of "colorado olive oil stores" reveals a plethora of stores.

Regarding Colorado, there are local purveyors of imported and domestic olive oil with a traceable source. We often go to Oliverde, but a search of "colorado olive oil stores" reveals a plethora of stores.

Oh! I misunderstood your statement. I thought you meant locally "produced." I have no problem finding suppliers of "good" Olive Oil in Denver.

In any event, I am more of a Lard/Tallow/ Butter guy. FWIW, however, Olive, Avocado, and Coconut/Palm are the only vegetable oils I find acceptable for health reasons (behind the above saturated fats, of course).

My interpretation of the observations in the study is different and less suspicious than yours: Because the adulterated olive oil is so difficult to detect, the largest commercial providers are most susceptible to it. That would be why, IMO, the study places the largest sellers on the 'bad' list. The companies on the 'good' list are more easily able to trace the source of their product, as they have a smaller market share. This is just the same as for any other food item. Traceability of your food source is important if you are looking to satisfy particular dietary requirements.

Additionally, this was probably a fairly easy outcome to predict for this study, as California does not have any suppliers of Olive Oil with the huge volume of the European companies, and thus can monitor the oil sources much easier.

I buy imported olive frequently, but usually small batch brands from northern Africa and Greece.

Last edited:
Regarding Texas, there are several olive oil producers there. I have purchased some of their product. An internet search will find them. here is a article Texas producers find new oil fields—olive groves

Interesting. It does seem like the hill country climate should be just about for Mediterranean olive trees. Hmmm - looks like freezes might be a problem

A whole 760 acres in olive production in 2012 in Texas, eh? I have a feeling I won't be seeing the end product any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom