Join Early Retirement Today

Covered California and IRS Form 8962 Reconciliation Surprise!
Old 01-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Covered California and IRS Form 8962 Reconciliation Surprise!

I've been working on this with MichaelB (thanks, MB!) and decided to share something I've seen going on with the 2014 tax return for DH and me. Perhaps other CovCA users will have useful feedback or will run into the same issue that I did.

For 2014, DH and I used CovCA, purchasing a bronze HSA plan and paying our premiums as shown by the website's calculator and as later billed by my insurer, Anthem Blue Cross.

For the Bay Area, I paid one price; for my new address, another, but the amounts came first via letter from CovCA and then via billing from Anthem.
Both amounts also pretty closely aligned with what I had found when I used the CovCA calculator to figure out how much I'd pay for insurance each month. I wasn't really surprised along the way. I thought I had my premiums covered, based on what I was being billed.

The other day, thanks to PhotoGuy, I learned my 1095-A -- the form that tells the IRA how much has been paid to the insurer on our behalf -- was ready on the CovCA site. I already had Turbo Tax installed and decided to plug in my numbers.

One of the forms populated by the 1095-A and using our MAGI was the IRS's new Form 8962, where what we paid in premiums gets reconciled with what we should have paid in premiums.

I actually expected to have overpaid somewhat since our actual MAGI turned out to be less than my estimated MAGI at the end of 2013.

There is a line on Form 8962 that takes MAGI and calculates what our share of the premiums should be. For me and DH, 9.5% of our MAGI was to be our share of premiums for the year. Broken down monthly, it was somewhat over $400/month. Such a bargain, right?

Except that all year long, I paid much lower premiums, as shown on the CovCA site's calculator and also as billed by my insurer.

So now at tax time, we determine what we really owe, which is not what we were billed. I don't mind paying what I owe. Since I overwithheld, I actually did pay much of the difference, which will come to something like $3300!

But those who did not overwithhold may be taken by surprise when they do their taxes, and I wanted to share what I've seen to give others a heads-up.

Thanks again to MichaelB for being a great sounding board, someone who understands enough of this to check the figures and forms I've shared with him.

I'd love to hear what others may have come across as they work on their CovCA reconciliation.

As I told MichaelB, this will be an interesting tax season.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I'd love to hear what others may have come across as they work on their CovCA reconciliation.
Yes indeed. The advance tax credit calculations look flawed, and this has not been fixed for the beginning of 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post

As I told MichaelB, this will be an interesting tax season.
If anything, an understatement.

A simple request - this can be a very useful thread for California residents, if we keep it on topic.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote