Crazy Old Man

Thanks ladelfina, I had forgotten how hilarious that skit was.

I find that I have to make a conscious effort to embrace change... I think one of the hallmarks of being a curmudgeon (love that word) is expressing negativity at anything different from what you're familiar with, and I don't want to go there.

There was a Seinfeld episode where Jerry said he was looking forward to becoming eccentric in his old age. Elaine says it will probably be a real easy transition for him. :D That's probably me in a few years (if not already).

Caroline, thanks for the compliment but that was a citation from a Dana Carvey skit. I put it in quotes but I guess it was not obvious. I had vaguely remembered these sketches and went to look them up.. I, too, had tears of laughter, so that's why I posted it.

Another good quote:
"In MY DAY a child would open up a gift, and within seconds he'd burst into flames or lose a limb."
http://www.danacarvey.net/snl_grumpy_losealimb.wav

We never had guns in the house, but my dad was one of "those" letter writers. He loved spending time crafting the most exquisitely pompous and sarcastic, yet succinct, rants using lots of CAPITAL letters. In "his day" he only had a typewriter, which limited his output. I don't think they were to newpapers mostly, but to politicians or to companies from whom he got bad service.

Do men go slowly insane starting around age 50 and go downhill from there?
Yes. ::)

Does anyone have any examples of old men who didn't become unhinged in late life?
No. :p

I am beginning to say the crazy things to people that I supressed when I was young. Someday thay're gonna come for me. Creeping curmudgeonness, I guess.

I'll know it when I start all my phrases with:

"You young whippersnappers"............

"Back in MY day"............

Embrace the curmudgeon. Resistance is futile.

Very true.
Embrace the curmudgeon in yourself - man or woman - you will be happier.

Is not there a new movie out "No Country for Grumpy Old Men"

You kids stay the hell off of my lawn!

I'm so glad to see that it just isn't a phenomenon related to my father. He used to be such a reasonable & logical person and now he's a stark raving maniac who imagines offense in every statement and is totally unreasonable.
Made for a delightful Thanksgiving, that's for sure!
So if this happens to DH, I'm suffocating him at the first signs! Just kidding, I think...

Stop into the coffee shop at 9 am on a tuesday - you might spot a gathering of old cranks sitting around complaining.

Not 9am! First shift starts at 7am. Personally, my shift starts at 930am and lasts 'til 1020am. Bob and his cronies run the roost from then 'til about 11am. Then EVERYONE of the normal folks leave before those $#^@ punks come in with their beepers and cellphones and iPuds and all the rest of the crap that you'd expect from those %&^$#@* 30-something hooligans.

We get in there and drink coffee, and work out solutions for all of the worlds problems......then we have to hightail it out of there before the place is over run by those ^&$% 30 and 40 year old complainers.

I'm thinking it's some kind of natural self-defense mechanism. Yep, I'll most likely be a grouchy old bastard.:bat:

I think the phenomenon is related to smart experienced people with no outlet for their intellect and energy. Several "old men" like Buffett remain active and avoid the affliction.

FD, another sure sign is when you start posting to year old threads...;)

Dang..........my downward spiral has started at 40...............:p

Shouldn't I be having a mid-life crisis or something before I gain curmudgeon status?? :cool:

on of my very favorite quotes comes from oscar wilde, "life is too important to take seriously", because the humors play such an important roll in life.

the humors consist not just of discovery & laughter, but also of your blood circulation & lymphatic systems. it not only binds together the seemingly incongruous, but it carries oxygen and nutrients to all your cells while it controls the flow of fluids throughout your body. like a shaman passing between life & death, both physical and non physical, it flows through you & lubricates you, allowing for the activities of life.

this is why many who grow old too seriously often snap. simply because when you stop laughing at yourself, you dry up.

i have found a way to continue enjoying an active life while i work all this into my pending curmudgeondum and i've been practicing for a long time already. you will find it in my dry humor.

edit: the fountain of youth rumbles from the gut. the action of laughter draws humor through you.

Last edited:
My grandfather was the original crazy old man . When he got real old he had to have some part time nurses ,he ended up playing strip poker with some of them .

My grandfather was the original crazy old man . When he got real old he had to have some part time nurses ,he ended up playing strip poker with some of them .

I want to grow up to be JUST LIKE him...........:cool:

Back
Top Bottom