Crazy Old Man

Do men go slowly insane starting around age 50 and go downhill from there? Is there a name for this phenomenon? Are there any good websites to observe this behaviour? Because it seems to happen frequently and I'm fascinated by it.

The craziness takes many forms. In fact, it can take any form. The common themes I see are closed-mindedness, fixation and some kind of desire to change things and/or bitter resentment towards the way things are. In most cases that come to my mind, this "Crazy Old Man Attitude" usually does not lead to real action.

Open the paper and look at the letters to the editor - the best ones are written by crazy old men.

Stop into the coffee shop at 9 am on a tuesday - you might spot a gathering of old cranks sitting around complaining.

I'm wondering if I should plan on going crazy when I get older? Of course I won't realize what I've become - because I'll just be muttering about how "This Country has gone downhill!" BTW, I'm planning on retiring to a different country, but I won't let that stop me.

Maybe I'm halfway there already. I ought to teach my wife to re-balance the portfolio so that if I loose grip with reality, at least there will be money comming in for food and heat.

Does anyone have any examples of old men who didn't become unhinged in late life?
I am 34 and if you ask my wife this disease has already taken over my body.

If you're 80+, would not ANY flesh be better than no flesh? :D

Ummmm.....NO!

img_583011_0_2f8e22b62d381ecb1ad5d4edc85e578e.jpg

My imagination might be fine, thanks...

Some people think coming down from the trees was a bad idea (HHGTTG)

WARNING: ANCIENT THREAD RESURRECTION!

Nothing drives me up the wall like a bunch of old curmudgeons complaining about every damn thing under the sun and whining about the country going to Hell in a hand basket! Why don't you old b*****ds cut our your grousing and try looking on the f***ing bright side for a change!!! Cheer up, dammit!

Sheesh... :-\

Today I felt incredibly inspired to resurrect this wonderful old thread. >:D

Audrey

Just a quick scan through this thread convinces me that I wouldn't want to be in the same nursing home with these earlier posters. :nonono:

Wow, looks like I've spent over four years making the same silly jokes and [-]wasting[/-] spending time on this forum. A bit of a wake up call.

Wow, looks like I've spent over four years making the same silly jokes and [-]wasting[/-] spending time on this forum. A bit of a wake up call.
Isn't it nice that you can leave a wake up call that works four years later? Just set and forget for another four, and get on with livin' the good life Al... :)

This thread reminds me of my FIL. DW says he wasn't always that way. His three "hot button" issues that will set him ranting for the next 20 to 60 minutes are:

The Washington Redskins

Abortion

Homosexuality

At a family gathering a nephew threw the perfect line at him: "Hey grandad, did you hear about all those gay abortionists rooting for Dallas?"

The result was astonishing to watch. His face got red, he couldn't speak for about 20 seconds, and I swear I saw smoke coming from his ears. He started off on a rant and realized he'd been had when we all started laughing.

I have told DW that "If I ever get that way, please, please, just shoot me".

Who was it that said something to the effect that when we get old we become caricatures of ourselves?

What a crock!

Who in their right mind would believe anything 'discovered' by a guy with a name like "Gur". Whatever happened to good old American names like Smith and Jones? And did you notice the big 'discovery' was published in a frickin' Brit paper? If it's such an important finding why didn't it show up here in America where it really matters instead of somewhere they call what passes as food "bangers and mash" or "bubble and squeak"?

Stupid @ss study...

Good one REWahoo! And how much shrinkage do you think you have experienced so far? LOL!

Men lose brain cells faster than women particularly in the frontal lobe area, which is responsible for mental flexibility, abstract reasoning and inhibition.
Wow!:

- Mental Flexibility
- Abstract Reasoning
- Inhibition?!!!!

That sure explains a lot LOL!!!!

That "due to chronic brain overwork" part has me worried though - I've been overusing my brain all my life.

And I love the blanket implication that men "chronically overwork some regions of their brains" but apparently women don't. In other words, women don't experience brain shrinkage because they don't use their brains too much during their lifetimes?:rolleyes:

Audrey

I thought the "grumpy old man" phenomenon was supposed to be due to brain shrinkage which is gender related and reduces mental flexibility, reasoning and inhibition, leading to a potent combination of curmudgeon tendencies.

Men suffer rapid brain shrinkage - News - The Independent

Well, that clinches it. I'd better stop thinking about anything and go into a zombie-like state to preserve what few brain cells I (apparently) have left. To preserve what sanity I have left it is clear I'd better embark on a life-preserving mission of staying in front of the TV munching Doritos.

Now, where's the remote?

Back
Top Bottom