Join Early Retirement Today

Creatine and Aging
Old 04-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Creatine and Aging

This article discusses possible anti-aging benefits from creatine, which is a supplement that has been used by athletes for many years to enhance muscle building and recovery. Although this article appears in a supplement companies literature, the author is an independent fitness and nutrition expert with a strong scientific basis:

Creatine Reduces Markers Of Aging - Life Extension

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
This article discusses possible anti-aging benefits from creatine, which is a supplement that has been used by athletes for many years to enhance muscle building and recovery. Although this article appears in a supplement companies literature, the author is an independent fitness and nutrition expert with a strong scientific basis:

Creatine Reduces Markers Of Aging - Life Extension
Wow! If I understand it correctly, that article is saying that creatine supplementation offers essentially what just about every older person wants - - a longer, and healthier life.

Me first! I'm already first in line for immortality pills if they are ever invented.

I wonder if creatine exists naturally in certain foods so that I could just eat more of those foods and see if I am doing better or what. I suppose I should Google it. I do tend to be suspicious of nutritional advantages that can only be obtained through buying expensive supplements. "Follow the money".

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I do tend to be suspicious of nutritional advantages that can only be obtained through buying expensive supplements. "Follow the money".
Creatine has been used for a long time by strength athletes and its not a particularly expensive supplement. This article is pointing out that there may be some other benefits to it vs just building more muscle/strength. I believe you need to be careful with dosing, as it can be hard on the kidneys if you over do it.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Creatine has been used for a long time by strength athletes and its not a particularly expensive supplement. This article is pointing out that there may be some other benefits to it vs just building more muscle/strength. I believe you need to be careful with dosing, as it can be hard on the kidneys if you over do it.
Interesting! Thanks for the info.

Edited to add: It even has its own Wikipedia article!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is this something that anybody can use including women who are not athletes or don't even work out?
Old 04-17-2016, 03:31 PM   #6

I would be careful and research before taking this supplement, and keep track of any changes while it. This is nothing scientific, but I know one person (male) who took it experienced high blood pressure. I have never taken it myself (female).
Old 04-17-2016, 03:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I would be careful and research before taking this supplement, and keep track of any changes while it. This is nothing scientific, but I know one person (male) who took it experienced high blood pressure. I have never taken it myself (female).
I just looked up "creatine blood pressure" and Mayo Clinic said this below... (I haven't done any other lookups, just so you know...)

Blood glucose levels may need to be monitored by a qualified healthcare professional, including a pharmacist, and medication adjustments may be necessary. Creatine may cause high blood pressure.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #8

Cool! According to this I don't have to eat healthy or exercise, just pop this little pill and all will be right with the world:

Quote:
Because of creatine’s vital impact on your body’s energy levels, it should be considered for anyone interested in slowing aging, improving energy levels, and fighting off age-related diseases.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:47 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Cool! According to this I don't have to eat healthy or exercise, just pop this little pill and all will be right with the world:
Yeah, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I just looked up "creatine blood pressure" and Mayo Clinic said this below... (I haven't done any other lookups, just so you know...)

Blood glucose levels may need to be monitored by a qualified healthcare professional, including a pharmacist, and medication adjustments may be necessary. Creatine may cause high blood pressure.
OK, creatine is OUT for me. I have high blood pressure and I am type 2 diabetic, so I think I'll just leave things as they are. Which is not to say that creatine is or is not a good idea for others, but that I don't want to mess with my already screwy blood chemistry and BP.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wonder if creatine exists naturally in certain foods so that I could just eat more of those foods and see if I am doing better or what.
Yes, absolutely.
Creatine is obtained largely from your standard protein sources: beef, tuna, cod, salmon, herring, pork, etc. Vegetarians may particularly benefit from supplementation.

But to get the amount contained in many creatine supplements, you would have to eat at least 20 pounds of meat a day. That's rather a lot.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:55 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yes, absolutely.
Creatine is obtained largely from your standard protein sources: beef, tuna, cod, salmon, herring, pork, etc. Vegetarians may particularly benefit from supplementation.

But to get the amount contained in many creatine supplements, you would have to eat at least 20 pounds of meat a day. That's rather a lot.
That really IS a lot! No thank you! I can't eat that much.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #12

Observations:

Headline says "reduces MARKERS of aging". That is different from "reduces aging". Word weaseling. What are they actually trying to tell us?

Ok, so this stuff has been used for ages by athletes. Does or work? Or is it sort of a time honored talisman for athletes, like eating a lot of steak or foregoing sex a week before the big game or the championship fight? Do more people who win use it? Do people who lose or don't make the team not use it?

On a less cynical note The Wikipedia entry on it seemed much more sanguine about it. I might try it for a few weeks just to see what happens
Old 04-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Does or work? Or is it sort of a time honored talisman for athletes, like eating a lot of steak or foregoing sex a week before the big game or the championship fight?

Do competitive athletes actually DO that? Wow. I had no idea.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-17-2016, 05:48 PM   #14

Quote:

Do competitive athletes actually DO that? Wow. I had no idea.
I suspect the reality is:

1) The steak thing: yes

2) The sex thing: Not. At least not since the 1950's
Old 04-17-2016, 05:55 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I suspect the reality is:

1) The steak thing: yes

2) The sex thing: Not. At least not since the 1950's
Oh, OK. Thanks. At least I don't feel quite so stupid now! I had never heard of the sex thing before.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-17-2016, 07:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Oh, OK. Thanks. At least I don't feel quite so stupid now! I had never heard of the sex thing before.
How old are you? That used to be a big "sports thing" I remember hearing it a lot when iw as a kid, although it was often used humorously, even though it didn't apply to me at that age.

In "Rocky" Micky tells Rocky to "Stay away from that pet shop dame. Women weaken legs!" That, as I saw it when I first saw the movie, was a sort of evocation of old fashioned athletic training techniques.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:38 PM   #17

"Creatine gained national attention during the summer of 1998, as Mark McGwire of the St. Louis Cardinals and Sammy Sosa of the Chicago Cubs pursued baseball's single-season home run record. McGwire, whose 70 home runs would break a record that had stood for 37 years, admitted he was using the supplement."
Sep 2, 2010
Using Creatine: A Muscular Debate - LiveScience

www.livescience.com/34883-creatine-dietary-supplement-builds-muscle-10...

++++
Don't know about the anti-aging, but if you want to increase your home run production, you might want to consider using Creatine. I guess if you use this you can still have all the meat and sex you want. Home runs, meat and sex: what's there not to like? I guess if you don't use Creatine, you won't hit as many home runs, but maybe still can get to first base. However, the article isn't clear on this point.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:09 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
"Creatine gained national attention during the summer of 1998, as Mark McGwire of the St. Louis Cardinals and Sammy Sosa of the Chicago Cubs pursued baseball's single-season home run record. McGwire, whose 70 home runs would break a record that had stood for 37 years, admitted he was using the supplement."
Sep 2, 2010

++++
Don't know about the anti-aging, but if you want to increase your home run production, you might want to consider using Creatine. I guess if you use this you can still have all the meat and sex you want. Home runs, meat and sex: what's there not to like? I guess if you don't use Creatine, you won't hit as many home runs, but maybe still can get to first base. However, the article isn't clear on this point.
Darn, when I was playing college baseball, if I knew about Creatine I might have made it to the major leagues, or at least to first base with Susie!
Old 04-17-2016, 11:50 PM   #19

'Follow the money'... I like that. The supplement business is a multi-billion dollar industry. Virtually none of the wares being hawked have been shown to be beneficial to the average person and as more and more controlled research has been done, more and more have been shown to be not only useless but harmful to health.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Sep 2, 2010

++++
This analogy to McQuire and Sosa is a poor one. Creatine did not give them the home run boost, but rather it was steroids. Creatine is not a steroid.