Join Early Retirement Today

Crown came loose...need to fix soon?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Crown came loose...need to fix soon?

The crown (with a post) in my mouth came loose and is out. I went to a dentist (not my regular dentist as I'm out of town) and tried to have it recemented but didn't (another story...talk about price gouging).

The dentist did say, since I had a root canal, that it's sealed so there should be not problem not having it worked on for about a month.

Is that true, or would I risk infection if I don't have it cared for?

Right now I'm leaning toward getting an implant as this has been (as my regular dentist calls it) a "torture tooth."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Administrator

I had a similar thing happen, and my regular dentist didn't seem like he was too worried about it (though I think I saw him within a couple of days or so).

Why not call your regular dentist and ask? I'm sure he would be glad to have someone call you back.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

This has happened to me several times. My dentist just tells me to get a tube of Fixodent at the drugstore to glue it back in place until I can get in to see him. The stuff works generally for 24 hours, then you simply reapply it. No big deal.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Reading this thread and the tooth, quite frankly is scaring me. I haven't really given any thought to teeth problems as I age. I've been lucky and have had no problems, but darn, if something goes wrong this stuff sounds expensive to fix and dreadful if you don't!
Old 03-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Reading this thread and the tooth, quite frankly is scaring me. I haven't really given any thought to teeth problems as I age. I've been lucky and have had no problems, but darn, if something goes wrong this stuff sounds expensive to fix and dreadful if you don't!
It's always good to have a little slack in the budget during retirement, and an emergency fund as well. The same is true while working.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-31-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
This has happened to me several times. My dentist just tells me to get a tube of Fixodent at the drugstore to glue it back in place until I can get in to see him. The stuff works generally for 24 hours, then you simply reapply it. No big deal.

At first, I got some dental cement at CVS pharmacy. Unfortunately, since the crown has a post sticking out, no way am I able too see and manuever it in place (it's a back/left tooth). If it was just a crown, no post then that would be a lot easier.

I'll be going home in a few days, so expect to see my regular dentist soon.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I've been told by my dentist to use Vaseline in case a crown comes off and to call the office as soon as possible. I've never had that happen however.

This might help in your situation...

Loose dental crowns: What to do if you have a dental cap come off. - Dental First Aid
Old 03-31-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I've been told by my dentist to use Vaseline in case a crown comes off and to call the office as soon as possible. I've never had that happen however.

This might help in your situation...

Loose dental crowns: What to do if you have a dental cap come off. - Dental First Aid
Thanks for the link. I found it informative.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

You're welcome...I hope all goes well for you.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The crown (with a post) in my mouth came loose and is out. I went to a dentist (not my regular dentist as I'm out of town) and tried to have it recemented but didn't (another story...talk about price gouging).
I had a crown that came loose once but didn't pop out. I called my dentist and got an appointment right away. He popped out the crown, inspected it, and declared it in perfect shape. He cleaned off the old cement on the existing stump and re-glued the crown. I don't recollect what the cost was, but it was a LOT less than a new crown.

BTW the crown was about 20 years old when it came loose.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had the same thing happen, whole crown and post came out. Dentist took x-ray and said what was left of the tooth (below the gum line) looked cracked. Suggested an implant and re-cemented the one that came out. I am planning on getting the implant done this year near June/July so I can wrap the price over two years since it will max out my dental insurance. I believe they are in the $3k range.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
Administrator

I cannot believe all the people here who are getting implants, or rather, I cannot believe that I haven't had to get one first. I have always had terrible teeth, starting at age 7 with 6 fillings, progressing to 64 new cavities and 4 root canals necessary when I was just 18 (and that was in the day when root canals were much more of an ordeal than they now are). I don't even know how many root canals I have had by now. I had one tooth restored with a post. But really, I have had very few problems in recent years. In the past decade or so, maybe 2-3 new crowns but that is about it. No implants.

Hopefully, I can delay getting to the implant phase long enough that they will be easy, painless, and cheap by the time I have to have one.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Hopefully, I can delay getting to the implant phase long enough that they will be easy, painless, and cheap by the time I have to have one.

Wouldn't that be nice? Seems like the price tag is going up though. On the good side, a day after getting three teeth removed, bone grafting on one side and sinus augmentation on the other I'm very pleased with the lack of pain and bruising. I expected to look pretty beat up but only have a somewhat Godfather-esq cheek droop. Now to wait for 4-6 months till the bone is ready for the posts to be placed, then another 4 months till the crowns go on. Corn meal mush - mm-mmm good. Three quadrants worked on, gums full of stitching, and I took 3 ibuprofen yesterday, the first 2 in a preventative manner, and none today. Props to the surgeon!

They do make fast mini-implants; this dentist prefers the biggest foundation possible, which makes good sense to me.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R
I cannot believe all the people here who are getting implants, or rather, I cannot believe that I haven't had to get one first. I have always had terrible teeth, starting at age 7 with 6 fillings, progressing to 64 new cavities and 4 root canals necessary when I was just 18 (and that was in the day when root canals were much more of an ordeal than they now are). I don't even know how many root canals I have had by now. I had one tooth restored with a post. But really, I have had very few problems in recent years. In the past decade or so, maybe 2-3 new crowns but that is about it. No implants.

Let me disagree with you W2W and suggest based on what you have went through in your younger years you have earned the right to never have any more teeth problems again!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki
Wouldn't that be nice? Seems like the price tag is going up though. On the good side, a day after getting three teeth removed, bone grafting on one side and sinus augmentation on the other I'm very pleased with the lack of pain and bruising.
Oh well. At least there's that. I am a big fan of any reduction of pain with dental work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Let me disagree with you W2W and suggest based on what you have went through in your younger years you have earned the right to never have any more teeth problems again!
Thank you! I really hated having all that dental work done when I was a kid. My dentist as a child used very antiquated equipment and nothing whatsoever for pain, so it was a nightmare for me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Got a dental appointment scheduled for next friday. I'm going to pursue getting a dental implant after discussing this with my dentist.

Looks like I'm going for the trifecta in April

Dental work, Physical, and Vision exam/new glasses.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Got a dental appointment scheduled for next friday. I'm going to pursue getting a dental implant after discussing this with my dentist.

Looks like I'm going for the trifecta in April

Dental work, Physical, and Vision exam/new glasses.
What, no colonoscopy?

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I broke a front tooth crown when I bit into a hard breakfast bar at the airport. It looked terrible and I had to give a presentation the next day. However since I was going to south Georgia I went ahead with my plans. The people I met with even made a joke of the matter. ( said I fit right in down there). I got it fixed the next Monday with no problems.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You know you're in big trouble with your crown, if Jill comes tumbling after!

OK OK, I'll stop now...
Old 04-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Went to the dentist today. Unfortunately his schedule was full so he couldn't work on my tooth until first thing in the morning at 7 am. I did consult with him about the option of a dental implant. Hope I know what I'm doing as that what I've decided. Reading on the internet, it seems implants are pretty routine and not that painful, but from the descriptions and youtube videos of what goes on....Oh my!

The entire process will take about a year from start to finish. Hopefully by then, my HSA will have grown enough to cover the expense!