Join Early Retirement Today

Crown Repair?
Old 01-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Crown Repair?

I'm far, far away from my regular dentist, and I just cracked the side a molar crown by chewing on an unpopped corn kernel. Only a small sliver is missing from the side of the molar, but I'm now starting to feel some pain. The new dentist I went to see today says that the crown is not matched to the tooth, so that's why it cracked. He wants to make a new post and a new crown. Is he fleecing me, or can a cracked crown be repaired? The cost is $1,100 USD.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Crown Repair?
Old 01-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #2

no dds here but sure have paid them lots of money. i can understand a new crown because if he has to do any work to the tooth or if the tooth was damaged, the crown probably should be molded to the new form of the tooth for proper fit. you definitely want a proper fit so you don't get any decay under the crown. a new post sounds odd unless you snapped the existing one off. bummer about the pain. if you are lucky you will not require root canal work. a properly fitted crown will help insulate that nerve.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #3

Maybe not relevant to the initial post but my dentist tells me today I need a root canal on a tooth that is crowned, for $1700. I'm 55 and have put some serious money in my mouth, just wondering at what point is the point of diminishing returns. Sounds kind of silly but at what point do you bite the bullet and say pull em all out and get either dentures or implants ?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne
Maybe not relevant to the initial post but my dentist tells me today I need a root canal on a tooth that is crowned, for $1700. I'm 55 and have put some serious money in my mouth, just wondering at what point is the point of diminishing returns. Sounds kind of silly but at what point do you bite the bullet and say pull em all out and get either dentures or implants ?
The day you die. Don't do it unless you have to. It's not pretty.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
Administrator

Old 01-10-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Keep your REAL teeth as long as possible. I have all my wisdom teeth - they all grew in w/no space issues. A couple years ago one of my wisdom teeth needed a cap and the dentist asked if I wanted to pay...or have it pulled. After a couple of questions I found out that if I had that tooth pulled - "the correspondent tooth would "search for its partner and also have to be pulled - w/in a couple of years(cause and effect). I payed and am happy to still have all my teeth.
There have been studies showing longevity related to tooth retention....
Hold on to the original parts as long as possible!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:31 PM   #7

OK, thank you for your advice. It would appear that a new crown is necessary, but that the extra $280 for new posts could be just padding his bank account.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne
I think one should avoid that if at all possible. Implants don't last forever, and do you want dentures?

Ha
Old 01-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm
OK, thank you for you advice! It would appear that a new crown is necessary, but that the extra $280 for new posts could be just padding his bank account.
Consider gold. It is hard to impossible to crack. Plus, your mouth will have a nice Goldfinger look to it.

Ha
Old 01-10-2007, 10:14 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Odds are that the old post will become dislodged when the old crown is removed. Don't try to save a couple of bucks on the post as it is the foundation for the new crown. Listen to Ha re the gold, it is the best and should last the rest of your life. Also, as Gumby stated you could get a temp crown placed if you are going to be home in the near future, but you will have to pay for the temp then pay for the whole new shebangs when you get home.

The pain you are feeling concerns me, I assume you had a root canal in the past (it is where the post goes), so if you are feeling pain, you may have a leaking root canal that will need to be redone (best case) or you may have a cracked tooth for which the cure is cold steel and sunshine (obviously, worst case).

Good Luck

usual disclaimer, this is not medical advice, merely a discourse on a web forum, go see a licensed dentist for diagnosis and treatment.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:06 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I really don't like the idea of crowns. It seems as if dentists are pushing them more than the new composites that replaced the mercury based fillings.

Recently, I had a back tooth chip. The dentist suggested a crown; I suggested using the composite. No problems so far - feels great!
Old 01-11-2007, 09:43 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm
OK, thank you for your advice. It would appear that a new crown is necessary, but that the extra $280 for new posts could be just padding his bank account.
Maybe he's upgrading from English to metric!

But I guess it's also possible that the post's alignment has moved, changed the tooth/crown configuration, and make them more susceptible to the type of damage you experienced. Can he show you from the x-rays why the post has to be replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Recently, I had a back tooth chip. The dentist suggested a crown; I suggested using the composite. No problems so far - feels great!
I hear a lot of dental whining about how old & thin my fillings are and how they should be immediately replaced before I'm inconvenienced or even hazarded. But to me it sounds like all the military "preventive maintenance" where we broke more things by trying to replace partly-worn components at our convenience to avoid having them break at an inconvenient time. We usually paid a pretty high price in labor, expenses, and overall effort to avoid those imaginary problems.

As I was retiring the military was learning that monitoring was better than preventing. (Lots less labor, expenses, & effort too.) Maybe it's better to let a warning symptom or two accumulate (other than the dental whining) before action is indicated.

I wonder if there's a field of evidence-based dentistry...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Ibid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

As long as we in a dental discussion...

Went for my regular cleaning and my dentist noticed a clacky jaw. He wants to do a lengthy exam to evaluate a disc. Postponed making the appointment because I didn't have my calendar and wanted to explore jaw discs. I have figured out that what he is talking about is temporomandibular joint disc. I have no discomfort, am 65 with osteoporosis. Have taken Fosamax, but not for several months (oral surgeons should know why that is significant).

So, I guess the bottom line is am I asking for problems, I don't see any treatment that doesn't have significant risks.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
As long as we in a dental discussion...
So, I guess the bottom line is am I asking for problems, I don't see any treatment that doesn't have significant risks.
Beyond, say, routine x-rays or a custom bite plate if he thinks you have "bruxism" (clenching teeth at night) which might lead to TMJ problems, it is hard to see why anyone would do anything about supposed TMJ problems if you have no symptoms.

I would be very cautious about proceeding with anything nontrivial without a second opinion.

BTW, there are reports of fosamax type drugs (biphosphonates) causing serious jaw problems in rare individuals, almost all of whom were taking other powerful medications for cancer and other diseases, or who had serious preexisting jaw bone problems. Maybe he was thinking of that, but you don't sound like someone where that would be a worry.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I hear a lot of dental whining about how old & thin my fillings are and how they should be immediately replaced before I'm inconvenienced or even hazarded.
I heard the same thing - three or four teeth were "scheduled" for crowns. I asked why, if they ain't broke, did they need to be fixed. Got the same story. I said I'll wait and see. Went about 4 years with no problems, then three of them broke within a 2-month period. Still haven't done the crowns as my insurance had run out last year. The old filling remains in place with no tooth enamel around it, but I guess I'd better get the crowns now that I have another $2,000 worth of Delta Dental's money available.

My dentist uses something called CEREC www.cereconline.com. It makes a computerized model of what your tooth should be, then manufactures it right there in the office, goes on the same day - I love that it's only one visit and not the "temporary while waiting for final" routine.

I will eventually have almost every tooth crowned, as the 1960's and '70's fillings deteriorate. I had terrible teeth as a kid.

But I would never even consider implants instead of crowns - even if the crowns only last 20 years...

BTW, Donzo - I had one wisdom tooth pulled about 15 years ago - it's partner does not seem lonely at all.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Beyond, say, routine x-rays or a custom bite plate if he thinks you have "bruxism" (clenching teeth at night) which might lead to TMJ problems, it is hard to see why anyone would do anything about supposed TMJ problems if you have no symptoms.

I would be very cautious about proceeding with anything nontrivial without a second opinion.

BTW, there are reports of fosamax type drugs (biphosphonates) causing serious jaw problems in rare individuals, almost all of whom were taking other powerful medications for cancer and other diseases, or who had serious preexisting jaw bone problems. Maybe he was thinking of that, but you don't sound like someone where that would be a worry.
"Bruxism" runs on my husband's side. To my knowledge I don't do that.

He told the scheduler to set aside 75 minutes for the exam so I am puzzled. He is very good and has extensive training above and beyond general dentist. Sometimes I wonder if we both have the over-analyzer syndrome.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:07 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Beware of the lengthy exam for the pops and clicks of your jaw. They can lead to an entire new bite (you have to pay for a new crown on all of your back teeth) and a $25,000 dental bill. You stated that you are 65 with no panful symptoms, as long as you have good range of motion (can open greater than 25mm and can move your jaw from side to side) you may be able to live without treatment. I echo Rich in Tampa's advice of a second opinion. I'm not saying that your dentist is a quack, quite the contrary, I think he may be on to something, but sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. Many Pankey trained dentists believe that occlusion (how your teeth come together) can cause all sorts of maladies and they try to correct any occlusal abnormalities, sometimes they use a myogram (muscle tracing) to see how your muscles are affected by your malocclusion.

BTW Nords, some of the best dentistry I have seen has been done by Navy dentists (no, I am not a Navy dentist) and here is your evidence based dentistry link http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/po...dencebased.asp

As for bisphosphonates, we have discussed this before, it is becoming an issue for dentists to deal with in the future. It is a real thing, check out your newspapers and I'll bet there is an attorney advertising that you may be part of a class action suit against fosamax if you get osteonecrosis "bone rot" etc.

usual disclaimer, this is not medical advice, merely a discourse on a web forum, go see a licensed dentist for diagnosis and treatment.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:21 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My guy is a former Navy dentist, takes care of a lot of Navy families. [Another relative sees a dentist in Portland who is a former submariner, he gets rave reviews.] I do think he is very good, but sometimes I think we all want to jump on the the latest medicine. As my now elderly Mom would admonish, "Patience Prudence!" (and no, that is not what she named me).

I think I will just forget making that appointment.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa

I have a bruxism problem that will be costing me about $3000 to fix......... :P

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote