Join Early Retirement Today

cyst in wrist
Old 05-31-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

cyst in wrist

I have a cyst on the underside of my right wrist.

Just noticed the appearance about 2 weeks ago. Right now only the about the size of a pea.

Doing a WebMD or similar check, the cyst is probably a ganglion cyst and may go away by itself.

Wondering, does the cyst sound familiar to you? If you had one, what did you do? Did it just go away or did you have to seek treatment?

Years ago, I had a meaner cyst on the top area of my left wrist. That was about the size of a large grape. Eventually, got that aspirated at the doctors off and a game of volleyball, taking a slam on the hand might have cured that cyst.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Bible treatment.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Bible treatment.
Heard that isn't down anymore. But nice try .
Old 05-31-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
Administrator

I had a ganglion cyst on the top of the wrist. It went away after a while. I currently have one on a knuckle that has come and gone a few times. The doctor told me they could aspirate it, but they often come back even after you do that. Neither one affected my movement, so I did nothing.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Heard that isn't down anymore. But nice try .
Come on over. You can bring your own bible, or I have one that's experienced.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:29 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had one on my wrist at about age 22. It was aspirated and never came back. I was told ? that it came from playing tennis.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:35 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have a couple of theories as to what causes the cysts I've had/have. Though literature says not really sure what causes them.

The one on my top left wrist, I was over at a brothers house playing tag or something and one of the kids there ran into my hand and bent it backwards. Remember noticing the cyst about a week after that.

The one I have not, I think may be caused for over stressing on a manual juicer using the metal push down handle. I this this, as the cyst is most noticeable when using that juicer and I'm pushed down hard many times.

Both just theories.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:36 PM   #8

I had one on the inside of my wrist when I was about 25 years old. Much larger than a pea. At the same time (maybe because of the cyst) I developed carpal tunnel syndrome in that wrist and ended up needing surgery. When they did the surgery for the carpal tunnel they removed the cyst. No future problems, and it's been about 38 years.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:56 PM   #9

I have something on my left hand but how do you know it's a cyst? I know my doctor checked but didn't say anything.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:34 PM   #10

Had one as a teen. Got it checked out by a doctor who suggested smashing it with an encyclopedia. (I guess that somewhat dates the timeframe.) I procrastinated about six months because I didn't want to smash any wrist bones. The cyst (diagnosed as ganglion cyst) went away on it's own and has never come back. No smashing.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:38 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I have something on my left hand but how do you know it's a cyst? I know my doctor checked but didn't say anything.
Guess don't know for sure unless looked at by a trained eye.

But from my googling and looking at pictures online, the one I have sure does look like the ones on the same spot called ganglion cysts.

I'm gonna wait and see if it grows much bigger or becomes bothersome. If so, I'll have to tell the doc to aspirate the b@astard.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:07 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I had one that was up my arm a bit from the wrist... had it for many years... it would bother me off and on, sometimes hurting a lot... sometimes just a bit...

Had a year when I max out the OOP on insurance and had it cut out... one of the better things I had done medically as I have zero pain...

I just looked and can barely see a scar...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:43 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Just noticed the appearance about 2 weeks ago. Right now only the about the size of a pea.
Good that you noticed it. Now, go see a doctor. He'll know just what it is, and just what to do about it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Guess don't know for sure unless looked at by a trained eye.

But from my googling and looking at pictures online, the one I have sure does look like the ones on the same spot called ganglion cysts.

I'm gonna wait and see if it grows much bigger or becomes bothersome. If so, I'll have to tell the doc to aspirate the b@astard.
I googled it and maybe I don't have cyst. Just thick muscle around my wrist, possibly an injury from yoga.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
cyst in wrist
Old 06-01-2017, 03:19 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

cyst in wrist

I've had a ganglion for about five years now. The doctor aspirated it once and it came back immediately. He refused to aspirate again, saying the only good next step was surgery. I've refused so far because it doesn't bother me. My sister for some reason is completely freaked out by it, but my wife just ignores it and so do I. Most days. But I agree with those who say have a doctor look. Then make your own decision whether to do anything or not
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd852 View Post
I've had a ganglion for about five years now. The doctor aspirated it once and it came back immediately. He refused to aspirate again, saying the only good next step was surgery. I've refused so far because it doesn't bother me. My sister for some reason is completely freaked out by it, but my wife just ignores it and so do I. Most days. But I agree with those who say have a doctor look. Then make your own decision whether to do anything or not
maybe mine was a ganglion... not sure...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:

Doing a WebMD or similar check, the cyst is probably a ganglion cyst and may go away by itself.

Wondering, does the cyst sound familiar to you? If you had one, what did you do? Did it just go away or did you have to seek treatment?

Seek some professional opinions about this. I have had several of these on my left wrist and fingers over the years (professional guitar player) and they tend to appear where there is over use or a little arthritis. The first one I had was on a finger and actually ruptured leaving the joint exposed to open air - I narrowly avoided a serious, career ending infection. In each case, removing the entire cyst (sack and fluid) was the solution and there was no recurrence in that location. The most recent one I had was attached to a tendon and as it grew caused swelling and pain in my entire hand, pressing in an adjacent nerve.

These mini surgeries are simple and heal quickly. The Bible solution (rupturing the cyst) can leave scar tissue that can be a problem. Often the underlying cause is a little bony calcification causing inflammation. Your body makes the cyst and ganglion fluid in response to the inflammation. Having that corrected is sometimes needed as well - again; fairly simple.

Your doctor can advise you about how to proceed - sometimes these resolve themselves but they can also get worse and become a problem.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I think Doc Martin has the answer to your problem:

https://vimeo.com/175570585
fidler4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:53 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Reading the circles from top to bottom, left to right, the spot where I have is the second one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ganglion-cyst-surgery-what-is-it-1.jpg (11.4 KB, 112 views)
Old 06-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post
I think Doc Martin has the answer to your problem:

https://vimeo.com/175570585
I thought the "patient" was gonna think the guy with the bible would read his last rights. Very funny.