Join Early Retirement Today

Daily Aspirin? Or no...?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Daily Aspirin? Or no...?

The Danger of Taking Aspirin Daily - WSJ.com
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What is new is that a consensus is finally forming around what has long been in practiced by more thoughtful physicians.

It turns out that the risk:benefit ratio turns favorable toward taking aspirin when your annual risk of a heart attack exceeds a little over 1%. You can estimate your risk using any of the standard calculators (note this is a 10-year risk calculator, so divide the result by 10 to get an approximate 1-year risk.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, that's good info, Rich. Thanks.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was taking a low dose aspirin daily but when I pricked myself on the back of my hand not long ago, I had a tough time getting the thing to stop bleeding. I didn't think that was a good thing so I have cut back to 3 times a week. Plus the calculator has me just below the 1% range anyway.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes bleeding is an issue I guess. When I went to the dentist it takes longer to stop bleeding from the little scrapes & cuts in the process. But I have A-fib and have instructions to take an aspirin each day. The calculator asked about whether the person is under a medication for blood pressure but not about whether the person is taking a statin/cholesterol reducing drug, which I would think is very common and would affect the calculation.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
The calculator asked about whether the person is under a medication for blood pressure but not about whether the person is taking a statin/cholesterol reducing drug, which I would think is very common and would affect the calculation.
No, treated hyperlipidemia give you the risk of whatever values you achieve from treatment. Treated hypertension, OTOH, improves your risk but it remains slightly higher than someone with the same BP untreated.

It's a little confusing, but at any rate these are just broad indicators and should not be treated with more precision than they deserve.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a major stroke in 2008. Since then, docs have me take a daily Plavix and a regular size aspirin.

I bleed and bruise easily now. In my experience, there are always tradeoffs for any meds you take. I'll put up with the bruising, because I may not come out so well from another stroke.

I had no effects from the stroke, except that my balance and far vision improved.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
I had no effects from the stroke, except that my balance and far vision improved.
Wow, good for you. Sounds likea sucessful re-boot!

Ha
Old 02-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
gone traveling

As a T2 diabetic, I'm considered at risk for heart attack/stroke (actually, it is considered as if I've already had one heart attack):

Diabetes, Heart Disease, and Stroke

Due to that condition, I take my 81mg, every day.

Does it help? I'll let you know in 100 years ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #10
Administrator

Good information Rich. I was a little concerned when I first ran the calculator and it came up with 5%, but I hadn't read your note about dividing by 10

I did used to take a low dose aspirin a day until I read the latest recommendations, and then I quit.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Mine was 2%, so divided by 10 it would be 0.2% - - one chance in 500, per year.

Good thing the quiz didn't ask about weight or exercise, or I would have flunked! My doctor has my blood values and BP nicely under control with medications.

One of my brothers had a series of severe strokes eight years ago, when he was 60. The resulting physical and mental disability he suffers with is tragic and heartbreaking. I have wondered if that would happen to me, but so far so good. Nobody else in the family has had strokes, but he and I are two peas in a pod - - very similar in appearance and in many ways.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #12

Instruction for pre-colonoscopy prep suggest discontinuing baby aspirin 5 days before the procedure. Is this adequate time or would it be better to do a bit earlier (how much?)?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Good thing the quiz didn't ask about weight or exercise, .
why is that? a flaw in the quiz or is the idea that unless exercise or wt control gets reflected in the requested parameters (BP/cholesterol), they are not helping, at least wrt heart attacks?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
why is that? a flaw in the quiz or is the idea that unless exercise or wt control gets reflected in the requested parameters (BP/cholesterol), they are not helping, at least wrt heart attacks?
I think it indicates that if you have bp and cholesterol under control with either exercise or drugs your chances of a heart attack are the same. Exercise has lots of other benefits of course, plus if you can control bp and cholesterol without drugs you don't have to worry about possible side effects or interactions with other drugs.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I think it indicates that if you have bp and cholesterol under control with either exercise or drugs your chances of a heart attack are the same. Exercise has lots of other benefits of course, plus if you can control bp and cholesterol without drugs you don't have to worry about possible side effects or interactions with other drugs.
That's essentially my understanding. It is very hard to statistically tease out - the bottom line is that obesity and sedentary lifestyle work their harm via BP, lipids, etc. These are outcome studies which look only at results, not mechanisms.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I take a baby (81 mg) aspirin a day. In Feb 2000, I had angioplasty with three stents, and my annual risk (by Rich's calculator) is 1.5%, so I continue with the aspirin (as well as Lipitor). I bleed and bruise a little more than normal beause of the daily aspirin, but to me it's worth it. A recent (Dec 2007) angiogram showed that I was symptom free of coronary artery disease. Woo hoo!
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #17

I take a baby asprin a day as recommended by my Dr. Main reason for doing so is my Cardio C-Reactive Protein is 2.47 which increases my risk of cardiovascular disease.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote