Decisions decisions.......

Excellent news indeed! I'm sure your devotion has been a major factor in her improvement. Hopefully, she will improve enough to come home.

I hope I don't jinx my Mother's progress, but she has actually gained 2.5 lbs over the last 2 weeks. Eating just a little more at meal times, but having better success with the snacks. She has a GI consult this week, but she certainly won't be getting a feeding tube with the numbers improving. Probably still a good idea to hear what the doc has to say in case things regress.

The surgeon released all restrictions on shoulder therapy. Hopefully she will get more use out it which will in turn help in using a walker. Some improvement there and I think we have a chance to get her home. With the help of hired sitters of course. But that will be better than living in the environment she is in and better on me.;)

Glad to hear this good news. Whatever those snacks are, they seem to be working nicely for her. If they are something provided by the hospital, then better find out exactly what they are so that you can stock her house with lots of them if/when she gets home. She has had a tough time but it sounds like she is on the mend. :D

Whatever those snacks are, they seem to be working nicely for her. If they are something provided by the hospital, then better find out exactly what they are so that you can stock her house with lots of them if/when she gets home.

Meds!;) Actually just a variety of things. I sometimes take her ice cream, cheese cake, choc pudding, candy bars and they give her small shakes. She doesn't eat all of it, but a little here and there adds up.

Ahhhh....such good news Dawg. Here's a flower for you :flowers: and your mom. :flowers:

It seems that a Dawg is a Mom's best friend. :flowers:

Yay!!! I am glad she is gaining weight....cheesecake will do it!
It's a tough role to be in, but you are doing an amazing job :)

Happy to hear your good news, dawg. This elderly parent business is so heart-wrenching, and full of opportunities to say, "had I only done this"...
No wonder she loves to visit with your dog. In the picture, that shiny, silky coat was just begging for a stroking!

I just caught up on this thread.

You are such a good son; it's heartwarming to read the effort you are going through to help your Mom. I'm so glad she is gaining a little weight.

Good news indeed Dawg.

I know it is difficult on all concerned.

Hang in there.

Thanks for all the encouragement.

I talked to a therapist yesterday and they are pleased with her progress. She is walking more(ugly walking) and getting more mobile with her bum shoulder. They indicated some people actually go home in a similar condition as hers. But we do have 3 more weeks of insurance help, so might as well let her stay a little longer to get stronger. And she agrees with me on this. I will need to start looking for some part time help for when she does come home. I feel like I can handle a lot, but I plan to have enough daytime help so I can slip off to play golf and have a few med's with the guys. ;)

Dawg, that's good news. Your county may have an agency that can let you know all the resources available in your area with contact info. Nurses and aides for home care, medical needs, and things like that. There are lots of programs that work with insurance & Medicare, others for a fee. She'll need them and you will too.

She is very fortunate to have you around.

Tomorrow is the big day, Mom gets to go home. Amazing the progress she has made in the last 7 days. She is now able to walk down the hall(with walker) and not moan and groan along the way. And she is able to go for decent distances with out having to sit. The therapists are even surprised. It won't be a picnic having her home, but shouldn't be that bad either. I got lucky and found a good sitter that can stay with her during the day. My mother has met her and likes her as well. I will be there for the evening and night shift. Of course I will get a sitter for the PM when I want to slip off, but for an hour or two she may be OK by herself. She is not the type to try and get up when I'm not there. But we will see.

So the frig is stocked, got my helper hired, the dog is ready and I'm ready. Time to rock and roll.:D

Awwww...bless her heart. I imagine she's ready for her comfy bed. :flowers:

I'm happy to hear about her progress and hope all goes well with her at home. It sounds like you're well prepared.

It's good to hear the great news. I bet your mom is really excited to be coming home. It sounds like you have everything in place for her homecoming. Best wishes to you both. :flowers::flowers:

Back
Top Bottom