Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Happy to hear your good news, dawg. This elderly parent business is so heart-wrenching, and full of opportunities to say, "had I only done this"...
No wonder she loves to visit with your dog. In the picture, that shiny, silky coat was just begging for a stroking!
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just caught up on this thread.

You are such a good son; it's heartwarming to read the effort you are going through to help your Mom. I'm so glad she is gaining a little weight.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good news indeed Dawg.

I know it is difficult on all concerned.

Hang in there.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for all the encouragement.

I talked to a therapist yesterday and they are pleased with her progress. She is walking more(ugly walking) and getting more mobile with her bum shoulder. They indicated some people actually go home in a similar condition as hers. But we do have 3 more weeks of insurance help, so might as well let her stay a little longer to get stronger. And she agrees with me on this. I will need to start looking for some part time help for when she does come home. I feel like I can handle a lot, but I plan to have enough daytime help so I can slip off to play golf and have a few med's with the guys.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #65
Administrator

Dawg, that's good news. Your county may have an agency that can let you know all the resources available in your area with contact info. Nurses and aides for home care, medical needs, and things like that. There are lots of programs that work with insurance & Medicare, others for a fee. She'll need them and you will too.

She is very fortunate to have you around.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Tomorrow is the big day, Mom gets to go home. Amazing the progress she has made in the last 7 days. She is now able to walk down the hall(with walker) and not moan and groan along the way. And she is able to go for decent distances with out having to sit. The therapists are even surprised. It won't be a picnic having her home, but shouldn't be that bad either. I got lucky and found a good sitter that can stay with her during the day. My mother has met her and likes her as well. I will be there for the evening and night shift. Of course I will get a sitter for the PM when I want to slip off, but for an hour or two she may be OK by herself. She is not the type to try and get up when I'm not there. But we will see.

So the frig is stocked, got my helper hired, the dog is ready and I'm ready. Time to rock and roll.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #67
Gone but not forgotten

Glad to hear she is better . It is super tough dealing with aging parents .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Awwww...bless her heart. I imagine she's ready for her comfy bed.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #69

I'm happy to hear about her progress and hope all goes well with her at home. It sounds like you're well prepared.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #70

It's good to hear the great news. I bet your mom is really excited to be coming home. It sounds like you have everything in place for her homecoming. Best wishes to you both.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote