Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2012, 04:38 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
Now my head is spinning. I am going to ignore this issue for now and relook at it when I turn 65 in 2017.
Things can change, so it won't hurt to wait. You should probably start looking at it when you reach 64 1/2, give it a couple of months to learn, because beginning on your 65th birthday you have a limited time to enroll.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
The info I received from SS wrt to enrollment in Medicare Part A is that DH had to sign up. Given that he had employer provided medical insurance, we were told that he could sign up now that he's turned 65 and have Medicare be secondary insurance or sign up for both Part A and B once he retires. Part A coverage was NOT 'automatic.'
Medicare says one should sign up for part A even if working and covered by employer health care insurance.
Quote:
Even if you keep working after you turn 65, you should sign up for Medicare Part A. If you have health coverage through your employer or union, Part A may still help pay some of the costs not covered by your group health plan. Call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 to sign up. However, you may want to wait to sign up for Medicare Part B if you or your spouse are working and have group health coverage through you or your spouse's employer or union. (See note below if you work for a small company.) You would have to pay the monthly Medicare Part B premium, and the Medicare Part B benefits may be of limited value to you as long as the group health plan is the primary payer of your medical bills. In addition, you would start your 6-month Medigap open enrollment period during a time when it will not be of most use to you. For more information on your Medigap open enrollment period, see the publication*Choosing a Medigap Policy: A Guide to Health Insurance for People with Medicare.

Note: If you are age 65 or older and working for a small company (less than 20 employees), you should talk to your employee health benefits administrator before making any decision not to take Medicare Part B. If your employer has less than 20 employees, Medicare is the primary payer and your group health insurance would be the secondary payer. You may also wish to read our publication: Medicare and Other Health Benefits: Your Guide to Who Pays First If you are disabled and working (or you have coverage from a working family member), the Special Enrollment Period rules also apply. Call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 or visit their web site for more information. See also our FAQ on* how to enroll in Medicare.
https://questions.medicare.gov/app/a...ill-working%3F

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
My retiree health insurance requires me to sign up for Medicare at 65.
+3
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote