Join Early Retirement Today

Decison to not take Medicare at 65?
Old 03-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Decison to not take Medicare at 65?

Read in the news that someone (I'll leave his name out as I don't want this thread considered a political thread) who just turned 65 opted insteda to not enroll in Medicare but keep his private insurance.

I didn't even know at 65 to turn down medicare is an option.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Administrator

I think I heard that if you refuse Medicare, you also can't claim Social Security.

I'm pretty sure my ex-employer told me that by law they are not allowed to offer HI as the primary insurance once you hit 65. So, for me I've always assumed I'll be joining Medicare.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I think I heard that if you refuse Medicare, you also can't claim Social Security.

I'm pretty sure my ex-employer told me that by law they are not allowed to offer HI as the primary insurance once you hit 65. So, for me I've always assumed I'll be joining Medicare.
Correct. See here Judge Dismisses Suit Brought by Plaintiffs Seeking to Opt Out of Medicare - The BLT: The Blog of Legal Times

Quote:
U.S. District Judge Rosemary Collyer dismissed a suit brought by a group of men seeking to cease their Medicare Part A coverage. In an opinion [.pdf] issued today, Collyer wrote that while the plaintiffs, which include former House Majority Leader Dick Armey, had a point that they are caught in a bind – the statute dictates that they can only opt out of Medicare Part A by forfeiting all of their Social Security retirement benefits – the court did not find that the government is required to provide a different way out.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Administrator

Can you decline Medicare if you take social security? - Lexology

Quote:
February 29 2012
The US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit recently said no. A group of seniors, including former US House Majority Leader Dick Armey, had sued the federal government to be allowed to accept Social Security payments, but decline Medicare coverage. They preferred to keep their private coverage to being covered by Medicare. Unfortunately for them, the court concluded that the Social Security Act did not allow an individual to take Social Security payments without also accepting Medicare Part A coverage (although the individuals could not be forced to use the benefits). Eligible individuals can at times accept Medicare coverage without starting their Social Security benefits; the restriction runs in only one direction.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I think when you have a few billion in the bank you can do whatever you like...
PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are working for an employer who provides coverage "equal to or better" than Medicare....you can stay on your employer's coverage until you quit/retire. At that time you are eligible for a special enrollment period. However, everybody should sign up for Part A when they turn 65 - and if you are working it becomes secondary to your employer's coverage. There is no charge for Part A. Part B is the part of Medicare that you will pay for once you enroll.
molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My retiree health insurance requires me to sign up for Medicare at 65.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
If you are working for an employer who provides coverage "equal to or better" than Medicare....you can stay on your employer's coverage until you quit/retire. At that time you are eligible for a special enrollment period. However, everybody should sign up for Part A when they turn 65 - and if you are working it becomes secondary to your employer's coverage. There is no charge for Part A. Part B is the part of Medicare that you will pay for once you enroll.
This is the case. DH just turned 65 and continues on his employer's coverage...thank goodness as I'm also covered as his dependent. He signed up for Medicare part A which will be secondary to empl coverage. Not mandatory, but we thought when the heck. Once he retires, he has a special enrollment period to sign up for Part B. At that time, I will hook into my former employer's group coverage paying 100% of the premium until I turn 65.
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Prior to age 65 I was covered by Tricare. When I hit 65 the military required me to enroll in Medicare and they gave me Tricare For Life for free! Oops! They will now be charging me for that free benefit in the future and I still get to pay Medicare premium. What a country...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #10

Once you hit 65 you are automatically covered by Medicare Part A (hospitalization) at no additional out-off pocket expense. When most people say they are signing up for Medicare they are referring to Medicare Part B (medical). This does require a premium to be paid and is optional. However, if you are not covered by another approved insurance plan, you will be required to pay an increased premium if you choose later to start Medicare Part B. There will be an additional 10% charged for EACH 12 month period that you were not covered by Medicare Part B and were not covered by another approved insurance plan. (This penalty goes on for the rest of your life.) Being Category 1 and having all medical covered by the VA at no out of pocket expense, does not classify as having an approved insurance plan. Tricare for Life requires you to pay the Part B premium for it to be in effect.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
+ 1
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #12

Quote:
. Once you hit 65 you are automatically covered by Medicare Part A (hospitalization) at no additional out-off pocket expense.
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression Medicare A was free if you paid for it during your working years. I've never had money withdrawn for Medicare, and was under the impression I'd have to pay the premium for it.

I've also been led to believe most insurance companies will require you to enroll, because it lowers their out put of payments on claims.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression Medicare A was free if you paid for it during your working years. I've never had money withdrawn for Medicare, and was under the impression I'd have to pay the premium for it.

I've also been led to believe most insurance companies will require you to enroll, because it lowers their out put of payments on claims.
It is no charge if you are eligible for social security.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Medicare Part A is hospital insurance. Enrollment is 'automatic' once you turn 65 and there is no additional premium for the insurance.

Medicare Part B is is medical insurance. It is intended to help pay doctor bills for treatment in or out of the hospital. It also covers many other medical expenses you incur when you are not in the hospital, such as the costs of necessary medical equipment and tests. Enrollment in part B is optional, you must enroll if you want it, and currently costs ~$100/mo - more if you your income is above a specified level.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
+2
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Several years ago, a lady I know who decided to work past 65 decided to not enroll in medicare since her work insurance covered her. Except..... the work insurance made it clear that when an employee hit 65 they were enrolled in a medicare supplement plane which assumed they had medicare coverage. She only found this out when she had to pay for most of her cataract surgery. Thankfully, it was not as bad as it could have been.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post

Did you pay fica or did you work for a state or local government? If you paid fica a part of it pays for part a.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

If one is not covered for Pt A, it is quite expensive out of pocket.

Ha
Old 03-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #19

The info I received from SS wrt to enrollment in Medicare Part A is that DH had to sign up. Given that he had employer provided medical insurance, we were told that he could sign up now that he's turned 65 and have Medicare be secondary insurance or sign up for both Part A and B once he retires. Part A coverage was NOT 'automatic.'
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Now my head is spinning. I am going to ignore this issue for now and relook at it when I turn 65 in 2017.