Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Declined for Disability Insurance
Old 12-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Declined for Disability Insurance

I did not enroll in disability insurance when I became employed in Feb 2010. During open enrollment for 2011, I signed up but was declined because I had been to the chiropractor recently (declined due to "treatment for low back pain.") I don't have any disc issues or anything else specifically wrong. I have not missed any work, have taken no prescription medication and have basically gone about my business as usual with some back pain. I continue to see my chiro once a week or every other week.

The insurance company (MetLife) said I had 60 days to contest the declination. I wrote back stating I didn't have anything specifically wrong and didn't know how I could dispute "treatment for low back pain" because it was true. They wrote back I was still declined. I called and talked to a human and told her I didn't have any X-rays or MRI's to show that nothing was wrong with me and asked her how I dispute receiving treatment. The rep said I basically needed a letter from my doctor stating there was nothing "wrong" with me. My sixty days is up January 4th but she said they would accept/review the letter from my doctor if it arrived soon after the deadline.

I don't really care about having the disability insurance. The only reason I bother with this is because it creates a declination of insurance on my record. Should I care? Will this be reported to the MIB? I don't want to bug my doc to write a letter if being declined is no big deal.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you are going to the chiropractor 26-52 times a year, there must be some sort of issue? Most people don't go to a chiro once a week for fun. I would be surprised if your chiro would write a letter saying there was nothing wrong if you are getting treatment that often, but I'm not a doctor...

Should you care? Well, that depends if you care about the disability insurance, which is usually something people care about as it's one of the most important types of insurance you can have....will it effect your insurability in the future for other types of insurance? Probably not as you can always explain why you were declined. It's not like if you apply for other underwritten insurance based on health that they won't write to your doctor anyway.

Usually the disability insurance you can get through a group isn't very comprehensive and has more coverage holes than swiss cheese, and just because you were declined by one company doesn't mean they would all decline you. Would be helpful to know what your chiropractor has to say about the diagnosis though...
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hadn't gone to the chiro for over a year (mistake) when I made a wrong turn about 8 weeks ago and tweaked my back. Flare-ups happen intermittently, but coincidentally they are usually around a period of increased stress. Last time was selling our house, packing up and moving to FL. This time it was around my mom moving here from across the country (which has been wonderful).

Going to a sedentary job I hate doesn't help either. Knowing I have the next week off is already making my back feel better.

Having disability insurance doesn't concern me greatly because I'm very close to being able to quit working. DH could also go back to work if required.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote