Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well...let's see...if I continue working until 85 I'll be fully aware of how miserable I am.

Sounds like a bad deal to me.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 10:36 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Offset by the stress and PTSD of continuing to work until age 85.

I just can't imagine it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
iac1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:58 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's similar to the studies that show that early retirement and earlier deaths have some correlation. Correlation is not causation, and maybe, just maybe, a lot of people "retire" before age 65 because they become ill and frail before 65, or die before 65?

In this case, sure, maybe if you w*rk longer you will have to keep your mind engaged with w*rk stuff for longer, but the rest of your body will be damaged by too much physical labor and/or too much work-related stress.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:27 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

But consider if....wait....lost my train of thought. What was this discussion about? Oh yeah, need more coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Yes. I guess there's no reason to think that people with dementia just might retire earlier for that reason.
Hmmm... At megacorp, I thought I saw some not demented but senile people still hanging on to their job.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #26

It's easy to put down a study because of flaws and of course all studies in this area are associational and can't control statistically for every factor. But is there really any significant doubt that retirement increases risk of mental decline, alzheimers, dementia, etc?

This is a serious question -- I've not looked into this at all besides skimming the OP's study.

We have the association (assuming there are lots of independent studies that show this) and the mechanism: Use it or Lose it. So it doesn't seem like such a stretch to infer causation.

I look at myself (retired <2 years) and there's no way that my mental load is as tough as while working. Although my social interaction is good, I'm doing way less writing, reading technical papers, programming, presenting, problem solving, arguing/discussing solutions, and maybe the most taxing of all office politics.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

85? Oye!!!

I know the article (and study) is a few years old, but I wonder if it was published to make those folks who WON'T be able to retire feel better? Maybe along the lines of "Hey, I might be 80 years old and still w*rking, but at least I don't have dementia!" I know that's a stretch, but I could see it especially with the large segment of our population who have said they will work "until they die."
Old 01-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I have a good friend that was brilliant, had a great job but had to retire at 55 because she had Alzheimer's. Now at age 64 had to go into a home.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Correlation is not causation,
Exactly!! Many so called "studies" are really only a search for correlation. The results are spurious or in some cases obvious. For example most "studies" that find that certain demographics are healthier or live longer are just reporting correlation. In many(most?) cases these correlations are to a third factor such as wealth, diet, stress, etc. It is very difficult to identify the actual causation.
Rich people live longer, smart people live longer, risk averse people live longer, married people live longer, happy people live longer. The list goes on.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:44 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I know that my megacorp did some studies to show that people who worked until 65 died sooner than people who retired early. Fortunately they did not share these results with the pension people.

When I got a golden handshake at age 49, I took the option of an immediate reduced pension. One year later they did another offer and did not include the immediate option. I suspect they ran the same spreadsheet that I did! 24 years and counting! And we took the 100% joint survivorship option (which was quite cheap) so will continue collecting for many years to come...