Delaying retirement lowers risk of Alzheimer's, dementia

As usual, the devil is in the details:

Quote:
The study showed an association between higher retirement age and lower dementia risk, but not a cause-and-effect relationship.
Yes. I guess there's no reason to think that people with dementia just might retire earlier for that reason.

Of course if you work until 85, you might not get dementia but die or get sick with other illnesses related to the work.

Hopefully the actual cause will be what the early retiree DOES in retirement. There was another study I read today that showed a correlation between depression and then the onset of Alzheimers. Maybe if you decrease your daily activity, stop doing anything that challenges your brain, eat more, start feeling useless b/c no job to go to, it will mess up your health and indeed make Alzheimers more likely.

I'm sure my 66 year old doc would agree.

I didn't think anything could stave off Alzheimers.

Hopefully the actual cause will be what the early retiree DOES in retirement. There was another study I read today that showed a correlation between depression and then the onset of Alzheimers. Maybe if you decrease your daily activity, stop doing anything that challenges your brain, eat more, start feeling useless b/c no job to go to, it will mess up your health and indeed make Alzheimer's more likely.

On the other hand, slowly becoming more forgetful, occasionally disoriented, and having reduced judgement in the early stages might be a bit depressing...

Also as pointed out above, these same traits would lead to early retirement. I agree with many of my MD colleagues that it becomes harder and harder to be a good doctor as one ages due to increasing physical and mental limitations - especially in the surgical and critical care areas. This certainly was one of the considerations when I retired. (As far as I know, no Alzheimer's yet!)

Correlation v causation and also the human mind's powerful ability to see patterns where there is in fact only randomness.

Last edited:
Is this one of those "Trailer parks attract tornadoes!!" reports?

My mom always had a belief that fog helped melt the snow; it never occurred to her that the melting snow caused the fog.

I am sure there was a reason I retired relatively early, forgotten he specifics, the year, where did I work..........

OK - I'm still trying to get my head around working until age 85. What kind of a sample did they have to test their theory?!!!

W*rking longer may have reduced the risk of Alzheimers, but would have greatly increased the risk of insanity...

I don't think the study said anything about age 85. Another doctor who had no part in doing the study took the conclusion about delaying retirement every year reduced chances for Alzheimer's by 3% to posit delaying retirement for 20 years, or working until 85, to reduce the chances of getting Alzheimer's by 60%.

Well...let's see...if I continue working until 85 I'll be fully aware of how miserable I am.

Sounds like a bad deal to me.

Offset by the stress and PTSD of continuing to work until age 85.

I just can't imagine it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

It's similar to the studies that show that early retirement and earlier deaths have some correlation. Correlation is not causation, and maybe, just maybe, a lot of people "retire" before age 65 because they become ill and frail before 65, or die before 65?

In this case, sure, maybe if you w*rk longer you will have to keep your mind engaged with w*rk stuff for longer, but the rest of your body will be damaged by too much physical labor and/or too much work-related stress.

But consider if....wait....lost my train of thought. What was this discussion about? Oh yeah, need more coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Yes. I guess there's no reason to think that people with dementia just might retire earlier for that reason.
Hmmm... At megacorp, I thought I saw some not demented but senile people still hanging on to their job.

Back
Top Bottom