Dementia Test?

It's easy to read, and I think that most people would have no problem with it.

No expert here (though both parents had dementia) but the author of the piece indicated that there is a significant portion of the population who can not perform the test. While perhaps not a recognized "test" for dementia, I could see how it might be an indicator of the brain no longer functioning properly (for what ever reason - dementia, brain cancer, stroke, etc. etc.) Apparently, a person with properly functioning brain can pretty much perform this test as long as the first and last letters are either correct or the substitution is close enough.

As I was going through all this, it occurred to me why it has always been difficult to proof read my own work. The "words" are readable even if the spelling is wrong - unless you go letter by letter.

Thanks for all inputs - keep in mind I'm not suggesting this "test" as a replacement for the neurologist. I think it MIGHT be something which could suggest the need for an appointment with a neurologist. But YMMV

I hope it is right because it was a piece of cake.

It was a piece of cake but not until I got to the word HOW. Then I realized the method being used and after easily reading the rest went back to the first six words and decoded them easily.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

Sorry, while it might be fun, as a "dementia test" this is nonsense.

If you are concerned about dementia, seek qualified professional help.

This might help: https://www.alz.org/what-is-dementi...M1wIVBKxpCh3CTg6lEAAYAiAAEgL8YvD_BwE#symptoms

"There is no one test to determine if someone has dementia. Doctors diagnose Alzheimer's and other types of dementia based on a careful medical history, a physical examination, laboratory tests, and the characteristic changes in thinking, day-to-day function and behavior associated with each type. Doctors can determine that a person has dementia with a high level of certainty. "

In other words Doctors take an educated guess that a person has dementia.

Hopefully one day their will be a test, like there is for diabetes and then everyone can simply argue what is the normal level vs disease level.

Not to drag this out, or to try to second guess doctors, but I do have a stake in caring about the subject... my own situation.

First of all, cognitive is the key word... Whether Alzheimers, or dementia, the cause for the decline in cognitive ability, is a study in progress, not a finite definition as with other diseases.

Cognitive
adjective
of or relating to cognition; concerned with the act or process of knowing, perceiving, etc. :cognitive development; cognitive functioning.
of or relating to the mental processes of perception, memory, judgment, and reasoning, as contrasted with emotional and volitional processes.
Note the differentiation.

As we see, just from the postings on this thread, the degree of impairment varies... not just for the severity, but for the time frame of the onset. From my own studies into this, I feel that there is no "predictability " gauge for diagnosis... ie. "Based on what has been observed, we can say that this person will be in later stages of the disease, in one, two, five, or ten years."
Case in point, my mother had symptoms for at least five years, but was able to function quite well until the final three months before passing at age 84. By contrast, a friend, living independently here in our CCRC, was was still playing bridge less than a year ago... entered the memory unit four months ago, and passed away last week... having had no cognition at all for the past month. Not from "physical" problems, but just "going away".

So, I see this as less of a "you have it, or you don't", than as a continuum process, where predictability is chancy at best, and at worst, could lead to unneeded concern, or depression. For the past few years, the nagging concern about my inability to recall names of persons or places caused a mental panic... making the memory blockage worse... compounding the problem. Slowly, this has been ameliorated by acceptance.

As a toddler, the solution was for whooping cough, through the schooldays, for polio, more recently for Aids. While there is some progress, so far no magic pill for dementia.

In short... at this point, I don't see neartime solution, and have planned accordingly. My last two doctors, both of whom I greatly respect, while trying to be noncommittal, mostly agree that diagnosis and predictability are still not written in stone.

Just my opinion... :greetings10:

Last edited:
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

Great work! And yes the human mind is a wonderful and amazing thing... when it works. Some of the failures are pretty spectacular.

Pretty easy after reading/writing posts on this site for a few years...:LOL:

I could read it, but I am also dyslexic.

One problem I have with these mental functioning tests is that there's no baseline of how *I* would have responded at a younger age.

I've always been face-blind and well below average in ability to remember names. I compensate well. Everyone says "me too." But then they go and talk about a movie they saw ten years ago, remembering every actor in it. If they miss one name they get upset. I know NONE of them!

My running joke is you'll never know when I'm getting dementia because it'll be no different.

But seriously, I'd fail a "standard" memory test at any age. I just don't believe one size fits all for how our memory works (or doesn't.)

Sorry, while it might be fun, as a "dementia test" this is nonsense.

If you are concerned about dementia, seek qualified professional help.

This might help: https://www.alz.org/what-is-dementi...M1wIVBKxpCh3CTg6lEAAYAiAAEgL8YvD_BwE#symptoms

"There is no one test to determine if someone has dementia. Doctors diagnose Alzheimer's and other types of dementia based on a careful medical history, a physical examination, laboratory tests, and the characteristic changes in thinking, day-to-day function and behavior associated with each type. Doctors can determine that a person has dementia with a high level of certainty. "

Agreed. One of my parents had Alzheimers. I would not wish alzheimer's / dementia on my worst enemy. There is an assessment tool called the Global Deterioration Scale that is used to determine the extent of the loss of cognitive function as well as provide a roadmap of where the patient is in relation to the timeline of the affliction.

Alzheimers.org has a ton of great informational materials about Alzheimer's / dementia. For those that do not know there are several types of dementia and Alzheimer's is simply one of them...

Clearly I must have dyslexia to some degree. No matter how hard I try, I keep getting this "buy low" and "sell high" thing backwards.

Hopefully one day their will be a test, like there is for diabetes and then everyone can simply argue what is the normal level vs disease level.

While the word "educated" is appropriate, using the word "guess" here does the process a disservice. The doctors provide an expert diagnosis. And they seldom provide such a diagnosis after one test. Hopefully you aren't trying to equate the medical process with a silly interweb "test".

I'm not aware that there are flocks of folks diagnosed by professionals as having dementia that are later found not to actually have had dementia at all.

A while back, my sister in law was diagnosed with early stage dementia (not using an interweb test). She was very functional in the earlier years, other than being a bit scared. In recent years, her symptoms have progressed and her dementia is far more obvious.

I agree that a test will be useful, and researchers are working hard toward that. But the kind of test that would really make a difference would be a test that either indicates a patient's predilection to dementia, or a very early stage diagnostic test. We can all hope that dementia (at least Alzheimer's) can be slowed or even prevented/reversed when detected early enough. Strong, reliable tests could make that happen.

Last edited:

Perhaps you chose a bad disease as an example. The tests used and cutoffs for the different tests for the diagnosis for Type 2 diabetes are pretty much entirely arbitrary, have been redefined on many occasions and continue to be debated.

When my MIL was evaluated for dementia 2 1/2 years ago, a panel of 10 professionals interviewed her with a series of 30 questions. Even an older person with some challenges would likely get 29 or 30 of them correct. However, MIL missed some fundamental questions like the year, season, date, and day of the week. She had an alarming problem with time. Calendars were of no help. Clocks were an issue.

Yes, it's true that there is no definitive test, but if you find some experts, they can make an assessment with reasonably high confidence, including the severity and progression.

Before the thread dies, an article that purports to be definitive on the subject.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/i-lived-with-an-alzheimers-diagnosis-for-years-but-a-recent-test-says-i-may-not-have-it-after-all/2017/10/27/b461cace-af58-11e7-a908-a3470754bbb9_story.html?utm_term=.c1104b91ce58

I lived with an Alzheimer’s diagnosis for years. But a recent test says I may not have it after all.]

Just a personal opinion, but I think that Alzheimers/Dementia will be controversial, and subject to many more years of discussion before any final medical agreement.

More about the "SNAP" theory, here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4784257/

Last edited:
OP, if your friend forwarded this to you believing it was a serious test, he may have early signs of something....

This screams "copied from a click bait thing on facebook".

OP, if your friend forwarded this to you believing it was a serious test, he may have early signs of something....

This screams "copied from a click bait thing on facebook".

Good point.
I've seen this test from numerous sources claiming if you pass X Y or Z true about you.

And one of the best "tests" in my opinion, is to observe the person executing tasks. My MIL could make Thanksgiving dinner for 20. A year later she couldn't execute a single pumpkin pie or biscuits. Even making coffee was a challenge for her.

Back
Top Bottom