Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We continued with Delta Dental after Cobra ran out. About $74/mo for both of us. We appealed the six month period for reduced coverage since we were with them prior, and they agreed.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
We continued with Delta Dental after Cobra ran out. About $74/mo for both of us. We appealed the six month period for reduced coverage since we were with them prior, and they agreed.
I dunno, paying $888 (plus any deductible and co-pays) for the year seems high for the level of dentist work we typically need. Are you getting $888 in savings from using insurance? Is there a cap on coverage provided annually? Just seems like a lot compare to our typical dental expenses each year.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Dentalplans.com looks good at first glance. Unfortunately my dentist doesn’t participate and we have had him for a long time and we both like him and his staff. If he retires or if one of us needs major work, we may consider making a change.
Yeah, not every dentist in in one of the programs that they carry. But our dentist was in the plan. And as I spot checked for other local dentists (just in case they left and we needed to find another dentist) I found only a couple that weren't. But they make it easy to check before making any decision.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:49 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
I dunno, paying $888 (plus any deductible and co-pays) for the year seems high for the level of dentist work we typically need. Are you getting $888 in savings from using insurance? Is there a cap on coverage provided annually? Just seems like a lot compare to our typical dental expenses each year.

This year absolutely worth it. Will it be every year? I don’t know, but at least I get negotiated rates and can use the coverage in PA, FL and WA.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I took Cobra for my dental insurance. I paid 18 months worth of premium out of my paycheck. One advantage is the low cost. I think it was about $40/month. Secondly, the premium is pretax, so there is additional savings. Finally, I had family dental for 18 months. I think they would have let me pay monthly, but I would have lost the tax savings.

Since this has completed, I am just on self pay.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
This year absolutely worth it. Will it be every year? I don’t know, but at least I get negotiated rates and can use the coverage in PA, FL and WA.
Here's hoping for better luck in future years.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #27

I asked my dentist, who was past president of the CA Dental Society.I depends on how much work you need. He said if you only need one crown, the insurance will only pay half. You are left with the other half plus the cost on insurance.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Dental Insurance TIPS
Old 09-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #28
Confused about dryer sheets

Dental Insurance TIPS

Years ago my primary dentist of 40 years declared my mouth a disaster area. Since about 7 years ago I carry at least 2 policies. In 2016 I had 4 policies. 3 for $1000 max and 1 employer for $2000 max. I maxed all these out getting crowns, dentures that year then dropped 2 of them.

My advice: Unless you never have problems get at least one policy. They are usually only $30-$35/month for $1000 coverage or $50 for $1500. This will give you a provider discount and usually free cleanings, 80% fillings and 50% major.

If you have moderate problems get 2 policies with different insurance carriers. That way, one will pay 50% and the other will pay the rest (usually) and you may be hit with just a small amount (deductable).

Why? Crowns and root canals are $1,000 or more. Partial dentures can run up to $2,000 per upper or lower each. If you have 2 policies it will pay most. Only 1 and you're stuck with a $500 or more bill.
Implants are $2000/tooth also.

If you need major dental work done & have no insurance consider flying to costa rica or mexico where it is half price or less than here.

My dental policies have saved me a great deal of money over the years.
comesailaway is offline   Reply With Quote