Join Early Retirement Today
Dental insurance after ACA
Old 07-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Dental insurance after ACA

I am looking for Dental insurance information after ACA next year. Here is an old thread though not the exact information that I am looking for:
How much will health/dental cost me?

Covered California shows that children under 19 will be required to have dental insurance but not adults: Affordable Health Insurance | Covered California?

So, I am not sure where to purchase dental insurance and what the premium will be like.

fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
“Purchase of the pediatric dental benefit is not required. However, the plans offer comprehensive child dental coverage, particularly important for consumers of child-only coverage and family plans,”,d.aWc

Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For dental you just buy it like auto insurance. AFAIK there is no underwriting process like what is involved with health insurance. But there is waiting period which usually prevents existing conditions from being fixed.

Dental Insurance - Affordable Dental Insurance for Individuals and Families

And it may not be worth it Is Dental Insurance Worth The Cost? |
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Also check with your dentist to see if they offer a "basic" plan. Our dentist has a $149/yr plan that covers 2 cleanings/exams and x-rays with 20% off any other services needed. At least it covers the basic preventative items. We opted for this plan for our 13 yr old when our insurance wanted to double our costs from 2 to 3 people by bumping us up to a family (up to 6) plan instead of 2 adults.

We pay $64/mo for 2. Our coverage is $1500/yr (w/ $50 ded). After a root canal, tooth extraction and getting/replacing crowns and fillings, insurance makes sense for us.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
I'm happy to self insure for dental, as long as I can get the same prices my current insurer is paying. Mostly yearly preventative costs and not a lot of risk that some high cost disaster might happen.

That said, DS gets his wisdom teeth out in August, before DW finally, hopefully, retires. Don't want to pay for that if we don't have to!
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote