Join Early Retirement Today

Dental/Vision Insurance Recommendations
Old 08-12-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm losing my Cobra Insurance in a couple of months and I think I've figured out a reasonable policy for Vision with Humana Insight plan. I've not been able to find a reasonable dental Insurance plan so far. I did talk to my dentist who said many plans are not worth the premium cost and I may want to just go with their cash price. My gums are receding a bit but nothing major. Last year I had 2 dental checkups and 2 cleanings with the hygienist and the year before the same plus a broken tooth that resulted in a bridge. I'm a great believer that if you have insurance nothing bad will happen so I'm loath to just drop the insurance without fully checking all my options. Any advice?
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 04:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most here don't carry dental or vision insurance unless it is subsidized by an employer or former employer. If you do a search here, this has been discussed at length multiple times.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #3

If you are a Veteran, they have veterans dental insurance through Delta Dental which is not too bad.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
..................... I did talk to my dentist who said many plans are not worth the premium cost and I may want to just go with their cash price. My gums are receding a bit but nothing major. Last year I had 2 dental checkups and 2 cleanings with the hygienist and the year before the same plus a broken tooth that resulted in a bridge. I'm a great believer that if you have insurance nothing bad will happen so I'm loath to just drop the insurance without fully checking all my options. Any advice?
I was/maybe still am a believer in that the dentist said. You get limited benefits......typ. 1-2K. Still,under the conditions,it might make sense. I had the same receding gums.....or maybe the dentist thinks I was brushing incorrectly so I had deep grooves just above gumline on many teeth. Dentist proposed filling them which would have been a significant cost. Convinced myself that the AARP Dental PPO was reasonable and accepted by dentist.
Surprisingly to me cavities are covered immediately (not crowns and some others which must wait 1 yr) and so these accumulated filling plus the2 regular checks/cleaning/X-rays will be more than the premiums the first yr. After that
the benefit becomes questionable except, as you say, to ward off the evil spirits.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:21 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have Manhattan Life dental-hearing-vision Insurance. But I’ve filed one claim and it didn’t help much, and it has a cap so it won’t cover any big dental expense, so I’m not sure it’s going to prove to be worth having, we’ll see.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:13 AM   #6

I have company subsidized Delta Dental Insurance in retirement. It costs about the same as 2 checkups with cleanings per year, so I come out even if no fillings. I just completed a root canal and my share was 150.00 and it pays the balance. I asked my dentist about the plan, and he said the premium was low so I should probably keep it.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #7

I have Delta Dental since coming off Cobra. I’ve had a crown done each year and two checkups. It’s saved me maybe a few hundred dollars a year if I did OOP
Old 08-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #8

Even when I had an employer dental plan, the premiums where more than if I just paid out of pocket... The dentist's charge was $85 cash, $80 "U&P" rate. Annual benefits were capped (no pun intended) so low that max benefits paid would equal the annual premiums. The only benefit was lower negotiated rates per procedure... BUT... negotiated rates don't disclose the dentist's cash price.
Do some math with the plans you have available and see what you get.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:58 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

I just went on COBRA -- stayed with my Dental plan @$50 per month. Pretty much break even if I need any work. Generally very good dental health, so I may be over insured.

I dropped the $9/month Vision as I never really used. I buy glasses/contacts online for significantly less than retail, and a bi-annual refraction. However I need to confirm that cataracts or other age related eye issues are 'medical' and not vision. I may need to re-think the vision.

I have several friends who are MDs and Dentists - all are open to 'cash' discounts as they are all in private practice.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:05 AM   #10

I have a discount plan with my dentist, we pay an annual fee which includes cleanings and normal visits, then offers a discount on big stuff if it comes up.

Similar to the Delta Dental program offered through costco (includes CA, not all states).
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have Delta Dental through a website called eHealth Insurance. The plan I’ve got is similar to my old plan with MegaCorp. When I bought it they linked me in to a benefit group called Morgan White Group. Through that group we also get member discounts like we do through AAA, although not quite as extensive...
Old 08-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

It's worth checking to see if your dentist is part of any discount plan (not insurance) or if they offer a discount for cash payment up front. Many will. Some also have plans where you pay so much per year for preventative cleanings and X-rays as recommended, and then significant discounts on additional work.

These are not traditional "insurance" since these have no claim forms and you pay up front, but if your dentist offers anything like these, it makes paying for non-subsidized dental insurance an even tougher sell.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dental discount plan, dental insurance