Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

I met a woman who had seven teeth replaced with dental implants at an advanced dental facility in Costa Rica. Cost her around $2 grand for all 7 teeth. would have cost $5 to 7 thousand EACH in the US.
She was very happy with the doc, the facility and her treatment. Costa Rica is making medical tourism a worthwhile industry!
Kibitzer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2011, 04:59 AM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Many of our local churches sponsor missions to Costa Rica with dentists and physicians. Costa Ricans need help from foriegn dentists to take care of their people so that does not make sense to me. The dentists that travel thousands of miles to help the CR's oftentimes just pull teeth. They do no even do simple fillings. It is a crazy world, there must be many levels of care in Costa Rica.
What happens if one of the implants fail? Does she have to travel back to CR several times to have it pulled, replaced and then a new cap. On my implant it took several months for it to integrate into the bone and if it had not worked I would have had to go back several times to the dentist. It's total cost was $1700 plus $900 for the porcelain cap.
DMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS View Post
It's total cost was $1700 plus $900 for the porcelain cap.
$2700 versus $2000 for 7! It sounds like another trip to CR would solve any problems?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

1700+900=2600 but that is besides the point. By the time you get the implant, and then go back after it integrates you pay for 2 trips, airfare, room, car rental, food, etc.. Then you have to wait for the caps so her total costs were actually much more and that is only if everything goes perfectly. If her 7 implants are good and there are no problems she probably saved some money but if it were for three or less implants to me it would not be worth all of the money and time spent on the trips. In addition, if she were to have a problem with one of the implants and she is in America do they have the parts to fix it because they may use different parts in CR. Also, if something happens do they have malpractice insurance in CR.
DMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I had mine done nearby at home so I appreciate the sentiment (plus Pacific Blue Cross) however I can see that people who cannot justify having it done considering 3rd world in spite of the inconvenience.

In my case I returned to the surgeon for many post op checkups and had no problems.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

It is always best to find a dentist by reputation or references. Mexico is no different.

I have read of 'dentists' in Mexico who weren't really dentists and preyed on gullible cost-happy gringos.

I worked with a guy in Vancouver who owns rental property in PV (as I recall) who arranges dental vacations. He has vetted the doctors and dentists himself. I might look him up again one day.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS View Post
1700+900=2600 but that is besides the point. By the time you get the implant, and then go back after it integrates you pay for 2 trips, airfare, room, car rental, food, etc.. Then you have to wait for the caps so her total costs were actually much more and that is only if everything goes perfectly. If her 7 implants are good and there are no problems she probably saved some money but if it were for three or less implants to me it would not be worth all of the money and time spent on the trips. In addition, if she were to have a problem with one of the implants and she is in America do they have the parts to fix it because they may use different parts in CR. Also, if something happens do they have malpractice insurance in CR.
I counted 5 "ifs" and am adding one more: If you don't know what you're talking about, it's best to remain quiet and read instead. You might learn something.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I worked with a guy in Vancouver who owns rental property in PV (as I recall) who arranges dental vacations. He has vetted the doctors and dentists himself. I might look him up again one day.
One of our friends here is a retired dentist from Sacramento, and he gets all his dental work done in PV.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
One of our friends here is a retired dentist from Sacramento, and he gets all his dental work done in PV.
There is a reference already!

See how easy this is?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a wonderful dentist in Nuevo Progresso, MX. He and his wife have become friends- we are talking about a trip together for their 25th anniversary.

We also have $6k each in lifetime retiree benefits from work. We would use that if work was needed during our travel time. Hasn't happened yet......
winger is offline   Reply With Quote