Join Early Retirement Today

Dental work in Mexico
Old 04-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dental work in Mexico

Have any of you had dental work done in Mexico? If yes, how was the experience (quality of work; price; hassels; transfer of dental records;etc)?

Having helped my dentist up north put all of his kids through high dollar private schools, I think it is time to give my wallet a break. I now spend almost 6 months living south of Tucson and am thinking of dropping my dental insurance and start having my dental work performed in Nogales, Sonora.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Around 1973 I had a cavity or two filled in Tijuana. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? It was my Mom's idea, and I can't say that there were any problems. Transfer of dental records? Records? We don't need no stinking records!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #3

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #4

I doubt if you'd find the average dentist any worse than anywhere else.
No experience with Mexico, but I had two US dentists basically throw up their hands at a problem I had many years ago, saying there was nothing they could do (and I was dealing with real pain). Went to the dentist around the corner from where I w*rked in Brazil, and he worked magic. Totally solved the problem (involved some oral surgery) and I've been grateful to him for the last quarter of a century.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

When my grandmother was middle-aged, she had a full set of dentures made in Nuevo Laredo. About 35 years later, one of the "teeth" needed work. The dentist in Laredo said he had never seen wooden dentures before and she needed to go back where she had them made to get them fixed. The weird thing was her dentures looked like everyone else's dentures. She finally got them fixed and wore them until she passed away in her late '90s.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
It will take a lot more than a skilled dentist to fix him.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
He was fixed by the dentist.

Don't you recognize precision work ?
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
But it looks like this is not troubling him at all. I've seen a lot of better teeth, but not many better smiles.

Ha
Old 04-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Take your own water to the dental office so you don't get the Mexican quick step.
DMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #10

Where do you go when you break a tooth, need a root canal in the middle of the night if all your work was done in Mexico? I want my dentist local........I pay a little more but the good news is I can afford it......I don't know what I would do if I couldn't. And, my kids go to the same private schools that the dentist's kids to to....nothing wrong with that in my opinion.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We winter in PV and summer in Vancouver. I have a company dental plan. They pay or work in either place. In PV they pay for all of it. The dentist is US educated and speaks English. He does a full cleaning for $50. I had a cap replaced a couple of months ago and he charged $300.

My Vancouver dentist maintains the records and understands that I am not flying home for repairs. I figure there is no difference in the quality of care but then I have heard that the price competition is so severe in the border towns that they scrimp on the caps themselves. (like ordering caps from China for 1/3 the price, enabling them to charge $150.)
Old 04-21-2011, 11:25 AM   #12

We lived in the Lake Chapala area of Mexico for two years and plan on returning frequently in the winter. Have had plenty of dental work done there, and have also hosted friends who came down specifically for "dental vacation," having long-postponed work done and treating themselves to some sun, margaritas etc.

In any area like this with a substantial gringo retiree and tourist population you'll find lots of English-speaking, often U.S.-trained, dentists and fierce price competition. To give you an idea, we pay under $20 for a cleaning using state-of-the-art equipment, routine fillings are around $40. A very good and popular place we'll probably go to next time charges even less (figure 11 pesos to the dollar when doing your conversion) and, unlike here where finding out the real cash price for anything medical or dental is basically impossible, they post the price for the more common procedures right on their web site:

http://www.dentalexpressajijic.com/

Since our health insurance doesn't include dental we'll do our best to continue having such work done in Mexico. You can pay for quite a vacation with the money you save.
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #13
Administrator

You will find good dentists in the US and also in Mexico. Bad ones as well. Technical proficiency is important, but so is access, for immediate needs as well as continued long term care. There is no reason that can't all be found in Nogales. From Tucson it doesn't sound too far away.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

When I go to Mexico and drink the local agua I oftentimes get diarrhea. If the water coming out of the dentists instruments is from the local water how do you keep from getting ill. Do you take antibiotics in advance?
DMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #15

I live in Texas and I wouldn't go to Mexico for any reason these days. I have heard about too many American deaths by ambush and other violence, even people we have known.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS View Post
When I go to Mexico and drink the local agua I oftentimes get diarrhea. If the water coming out of the dentists instruments is from the local water how do you keep from getting ill. Do you take antibiotics in advance?
They have inline water purifiers. It is really an advanced country if you just stop and think. We have been drinking tap water from our purifier for three years without any ill effects.

If you listen to all the "nervous nellies", you will just stay at home where you belong!
Old 04-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
If you listen to all the "nervous nellies", you will just stay at home where you belong!
Absolutely! Can't stand the heat, get outta the kitchen!

But then the US Dept of State keeps making us homebody cowards appear to be on the right side of reality~

U.S. warns on travel to five more Mexican states - Yahoo! News
Old 04-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #19
Administrator

I'd still feel safer in Mexico than South Chicago
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I feel safer in PV than in east Vancouver.