Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Dental x-rays are necessary predominantly to detect cavities on the front and back surfaces of the teeth and around existing restorations, as well as to check the periodontal health. It is the deterioration of the periodontal structure (gums and bone) that is the main cause of adult tooth loss. When old fillings [whether they are amalgam (silver) or plastic (white)] break they can be replaced with new fillings unless the break is too large that only a crown can maintain the integrity of the remaining tooth.
The need for a root canal is mostly due to the progression of decay into the pulp which can usually be detected by x-rays, and thus prevented. If a tooth has a root canal procedure done, then crowns are usually necessary to prevent breakage of the tooth. If a crown is needed just due to the filling breaking and the pulp is intact, then a root canal is usually unnecessary.
Enamel fracture lines are common and require no treatment.
There ya have it: Dentistry 101
Disclaimer: This is not to be taken for personal dental advice

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

The guidelines posted earlier for X-rays are a good guide but many of the guidelines are determined by clinician judgement. Each patient is different so time intervals will vary.
Dental crowns are one of the most abused treatments today, IMO. Partly due to over-treatment but mostly due to improper fit and poor material choice.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatordoc50 View Post
The guidelines posted earlier for X-rays are a good guide but many of the guidelines are determined by clinician judgement. Each patient is different so time intervals will vary.
Dental crowns are one of the most abused treatments today, IMO. Partly due to over-treatment but mostly due to improper fit and poor material choice.
I will agree with the improper fit. I have only had one, but it took over a year until it seemed to set right in my jaw line. I think I must have worn it down over time.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I will agree with the improper fit. I have only had one, but it took over a year until it seemed to set right in my jaw line. I think I must have worn it down over time.
My dentist uses a carbon paper like material and flattens the new crown locally until it sits flush with existing teeth. Seems to work.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My dentist uses a carbon paper like material and flattens the new crown locally until it sits flush with existing teeth. Seems to work.

Did either of your dentists take a mold of your teeth prior to doing any work on them

The temp crown that he put in seems to fit perfectly... and I hope that the permanent one does also...

But, DW just called and told me that one of her crowns fell off!!! More money down the drain....
Old 09-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Did either of your dentists take a mold of your teeth prior to doing any work on them..........
Of course, the temporary and the permanent crown are made from the mold. When I say he takes off a little, I'm talking about thousandths of an inch.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post

Of course, the temporary and the permanent crown are made from the mold. When I say he takes off a little, I'm talking about thousandths of an inch.
Yes, only the tiniest of amounts makes a big difference. Texas, I did have a mold done, though I don't remember a temporary crown. Your wife's crown falling off just makes me cringe. I can't stand teeth repair. Last year when the dentist pulled my wisdom tooth he kept having to pull at different angles because it was butted up next to my crowned tooth. All he kept saying was he was worried he was going to break the crown off pulling the other tooth. I knew disaster was going to happen, but thankfully it didn't.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraC View Post
I called my dentist out when they told me I needed yet another crown and what do you know, I didn't need it after all. It just seemed like every visit, I needed a new crown. Made me wonder what new big vacation he was trying to finance.
My old dentist was also a photographer. Every time I came in for a check up or work he had new pictures of his most recent fabulous vacation hanging in the rooms. It seemed like adding insult to injury to me. Pain and discomfort leavened with the knowledge that I helped pay for those vacations.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #29

I guess I've been lucky. A bunch of fillings over the years, two crowns, one of them 25 years ago with no subsequent problems, one two years ago, no issues.

Despite everything in this thread I'm sure glad I didn't live in an era when dentistry consisted of a pair of pliers and a pint of Jack Daniels.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

One of my worst dental experiences occurred last year. I went in to have two ancient fillings replaced about a week before the 2012 presidential election. Not only was I getting two teeth drilled out, but the TV was tuned to the Today show which was showing an interview with <<my least favorite presidential candidate>>. Now that was a horrible morning!
Old 09-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberryjoe View Post
One of my worst dental experiences occurred last year. I went in to have two ancient fillings replaced about a week before the 2012 presidential election. Not only was I getting two teeth drilled out, but the TV was tuned to the Today show which was showing an interview with <<my least favorite presidential candidate>>. Now that was a horrible morning!
Never leave home without it.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/9a06/
Old 09-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Never leave home without it.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/9a06/
Perfect to silence the TV at the doctor's office and maybe even the airport boarding area...the two places where I find the blaring TV especially annoying.