Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-17-2014, 10:15 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I found a Dentist I trusted many years ago and despite moving 45 minutes away I still go to him . My SO keeps trying to get me to change to a closer Dentist. I will once my Dentist retires.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...161610342.html

This undercover story was done in Canada so I'm sure it's worse here in the US. It shows that dentists vary widely in work and cost they suggest on the same person.

It's like my old auto mechanic in NYC. Every bill was at least $600. I felt I was being had, but the kicker was when they gave me the bill for said $600+ but it was for another customer who I guess was also taken for the same amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Old 07-17-2014, 11:54 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The dentist I had for 24 years retired last year. He was a kind, compassionate man who always made sure to minimize any pain or discomfort for me and warned his staff the same way.

I had not been to a dentist in several years when I first went to him in 1989 so he had lots of work to do. He bugged me for several years to get 2 crowns done on the 2 worst teeth and I eventually got them done before my dental insurance disappeared before I ERed. He also bugged me to get 2 useless wisdom teeth pulled which I did by an oral surgeon before my dental insurance disappeared. Unless he got nice kickback from the referral, my dentist lost money on that because he had simply become tired of doing small fillings on those useless wisdom teeth over the years. After I got the wisdom teeth pulled, I joked that he (my dentist) can't bug me about any more outstanding major items because I had finally taken them off the table.

Thanks to his steady care, my last 2 visits to him in 2013 resulted in no cavities. That was followed earlier this year by another no-cavity visit by one of his suggested replacement dentists, a father-and-son team with an office near his and whom my retiring dentist went to for his dental work. This new dentist mildly suggested some removable bite plate to protect my teeth from overnight grinding but I was not interested in that so I passed on it.

My former dentist had gone through several hygienists over the years but his last one I did not like very much. My new dentist's hygienist is not the same woman so I am rid of the old one I did not like, another small benefit.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Years ago(35) I had to have my right lower wisdom tooth pulled. There wasn't enough room between it and the back of my gums, caused serious pain and inflammation. Kept going to this guy, he keept bugging my to get the left lower wisdom tooth extracted as it would eventually have the same issue.

Fast forward a year I got dental insurance and that left lower wisdom tooth had a cavity. Suddenly we're doing 2 gold onlays for that wisdom tooth, that needed extracted, and the one in front of it! Those onlays were a PIA, pop off any old time. I switched dentists based on recommendations. Over time the wisdom tooth was extracted, the other gold onlay was replaced by a crown, no problems since.

Yes there are some crappy dentists out there, and great ones. I've been with the same great dentist since '92.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #25

How about this... You go twice a year for cleanings using two different dentists. When they ask if anything has been bothering you, you say "no" but you have a vague recollection of something a while back on the right side (for one dentist) and you answer on the left side (for the other dentist). When they try to sell you on something, you say you'll think about it. When you go to the other dentist, if they independently recommend the same procedure, only then would you actually agree to having the work done. It would not cost any extra since it happens on your cleaning appointments. The problem, if there is one, is that you'd wait six months for your under the radar second opinion.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

My husband has really good teeth....no cavities...nothing. Hasn't seen a dentist in many years. He was having pain in one of his third molars (wisdom tooth) and we made an appointment for my dentist to see him. Dentist says the tooth is cracked and did the extraction without much difficulty.

Charge = $449.00.

This included one film and the extraction. Yipes.

I like this dentist so didn't protest. But that sure seems like alot.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
My husband has really good teeth....no cavities...nothing. Hasn't seen a dentist in many years. He was having pain in one of his third molars (wisdom tooth) and we made an appointment for my dentist to see him. Dentist says the tooth is cracked and did the extraction without much difficulty.

Charge = $449.00.

This included one film and the extraction. Yipes.

I like this dentist so didn't protest. But that sure seems like alot.
Here's the treatment plan for my VERY smart daughter (with six wisdom teeth, dammit):
Code:
$470 D9220 Sedation/General Anestesia
$305 D7210 Surgical Extraction of Tooth #1
$305 D7210 Surgical Extraction of Tooth #16
$360 D7220 Surgical Extraction, Impacted #17
$360 D7220 Surgical Extraction, Impacted #32
$530 D7240 Surgical Extraction, Bony #51
$530 D7240 Surgical Extraction, Bony #68
Luckily we've already hit the annual deductable and she's not 19 yet, so covered under Obamacare.