Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Dessert for Breakfast Improves Weightloss
Old 02-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dessert for Breakfast Improves Weightloss

Yesssss!!! Chocolate for breakfast. A twist on low carb,

The chocolate cake diet: Can dessert with breakfast really help you lose weight? - Tampa Bay Times
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Makes some sense to me. I think chocolate gets a bad rap.

Not at all scientific, but it seems to me that if I have eggs and sausage for breakfast, I get hungry pretty soon. But if I have eggs, sausage and a piece of multi-grain toast, or with potatoes, I go past lunch time before I even think of food.

Chocolate cake could work, why not?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #3

Coincidentally, DW made a chocolate cake yesterday.

So I'm going to try this method out.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Coincidentally, DW made a chocolate cake yesterday.

So I'm going to try this method out.
Ummm. An all around meal. Eggs, milk, and grains, and natural sweetener. How could it get any better?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Ummm. An all around meal. Eggs, milk, and grains, and natural sweetener. How could it get any better?
Bill figured this out long ago..

mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Makes some sense to me. I think chocolate gets a bad rap.

Not at all scientific, but it seems to me that if I have eggs and sausage for breakfast, I get hungry pretty soon. But if I have eggs, sausage and a piece of multi-grain toast, or with potatoes, I go past lunch time before I even think of food.

Chocolate cake could work, why not?

-ERD50
One train of thought is that if you're getting hungry, you're not taking in enough calories in general. Carbs usually get the bad rap of increasing hunger. And protein and fats improve satiety.

I'm less carb phobic than some; I think, if you're reasonably healthy, and active, that carbs aren't the villain. On the other hand, a Twinkie or piece chocolate cake on occasion is probably okay, but it meets so few nutrient needs that, long-term, it wouldn't be perty for ones health...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Researchers split 193 clinically obese, nondiabetic adults into two groups. The groups were assigned nearly identical low-carb diets of 1,400 calories a day for women and 1,600 calories a day for men, similar to the popular Atkins diet. But one group was given a low-carb 300-calorie breakfast and the other was given a 600-calorie breakfast that was high in protein and carbohydrates, and always included a dessert.
This study makes no sense to me at all. They are looking at two variables - calorie timing and carb content at the same time, so are unable (in my mind) to attribute their findings solely to either one of those variables. I.e.,what happens when the high carb people eat 300 calories for breakfast and the low carb people eat 600 calories?

The HC people eat high carb + high protein breakfast (e.g. 60g C/45gP for women) and the LC people eat low carb + lower protein breakfast (e.g., 10g C/30gP). Fat was 20g vs. 16g. That LC breakfast is the equivalent of me eating a cup of plain greek yogurt and two hard boiled eggs. Who wouldn't be hungry?

Their findings on cravings for sweets on the low carb diet are inconsistent with my own experience and the experience of many people on this board. They are consistent with being hungry, though.

I also wonder how high-carb the high carb diet would be considered relative to published low-carb diets (not induction). The high carb women were getting 78g carbs total daily and the low carb women 36g. Those numbers are awfully similar to my alternating days Dukan numbers. Yesterday, I was at 76g, with carbs coming from dairy, eggs, vegetables and coconut butter. The day before was 30 due to lack of vegetables.

Quote:
Weight loss was about equal for the two groups at 16 weeks. But after 32 weeks, those who added a cookie or cake or ice cream to breakfast had lost an average of 40 pounds more than those who ate the lighter, low-carb breakfast, according to the findings published in the journal Steroids.
HC Week 16 77.6kg +/- 9.0 Week 32 70.6 +/- 8.7
LC 75.2 +/- 8.1 86.9 +/- 9.7

So the LC people have regained weight. The only way for that to happen is if they're cheating on the diet.
banister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by banister View Post
HC Week 16 77.6kg +/- 9.0 Week 32 70.6 +/- 8.7
LC 75.2 +/- 8.1 86.9 +/- 9.7

So the LC people have regained weight. The only way for that to happen is if they're cheating on the diet.
That is a frequent criticism of low carb diets, sometimes buy not always ascribed to falling compliance as time goes on. I have no idea if this is true, but most but not all people I know who do law carb stay lean. But you really cannot know what anyone eats other than yourself. Even a spouse or live-in partner may be getting up at 3 am and going ice cream diiving.

In my own case, I eat very few carbs. I don't weigh very often but my appearance hasn't shown much change judging from photos.

The other day I was watching an video about some guy in Brooklyn who supposedly makes a very good pizza. It did look good, but I thought I likely would not eat it. If I had no need to restrict carbs, the main thing that would change is that I'd use sliced potatoes and onions with my baked cod, rather than just onions.

Ha
Old 02-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
In my own case, I eat very few carbs. I don't weigh very often but my appearance hasn't shown much change judging from photos.
I'm not so sure. A few days ago your photo was of some black guy. You appear much more white now. Maybe low carb diets have other side effects??
Old 02-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
That is a frequent criticism of low carb diets, sometimes buy not always ascribed to falling compliance as time goes on. I have no idea if this is true, but most but not all people I know who do law carb stay lean.
I meant it more as a criticism of the study than of low carb diets.

The HC women have a 600 cal breakfast, 500 at lunch and 300 at dinner. The LC women are 300, 500 and 600. So the LC people spend most of their waking hours at a 300 cal deficit relative to the HC group, and then they have their big meal a few hours before sleeping.

I think that by reducing both the carbs and the calories at breakfast, they promote hunger/lower satiety/increased ghrelin production in the LC group, which set the LC people up to fail.
banister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by banister View Post
I meant it more as a criticism of the study than of low carb diets.

The HC women have a 600 cal breakfast, 500 at lunch and 300 at dinner. The LC women are 300, 500 and 600. So the LC people spend most of their waking hours at a 300 cal deficit relative to the HC group, and then they have their big meal a few hours before sleeping.

I think that by reducing both the carbs and the calories at breakfast, they promote hunger/lower satiety/increased ghrelin production in the LC group, which set the LC people up to fail.
I do notice that I am hungriest in the morning.

Ha