DH broke his arm today

If he were a teenager he would be looked upon with envy by his peers, considering him a hero... At least for a few days. But us, getting on in years- we only get sympathy and plenty of advice...

Egads! - tell him to take it easy until he at least gets the cast on.

Like said earlier- frozen peas will work wonders taking swelling down until the cast goes on. Just gently wrap the bags of peas around the arm/sling and hold them in place with an elastic bandage. It may even be a little swollen when he gets the cast off, mainly after therapy - you'll probably need a new supply of peas - they start to stink after a while despite being frozen between uses.

Elevate it whenever possible. Dont take long walks with arms down

Move fingers occasionally while in the cast. I think this helped me recover faster from a broken wrist.

Use a coat hanger to scratch the itches.

He may have to get casted more than once if the swelling doesn't go down soon. I had to wait 5 days for my first cast and still had to be casted twice - 2 weeks apart as swelling in my broken ankle receded.

Like said earlier - garbage bag with a rubber band works wonders in the shower, I saw the cast covers advertised in the doc's office, but didnt get one. Dont get the cast wet - they tend to soften when they get wet.

Good luck!

Egads! - tell him to take it easy until he at least gets the cast on.

Like said earlier- frozen peas will work wonders taking swelling down until the cast goes on. Just gently wrap the bags of peas around the arm/sling and hold them in place with an elastic bandage. It may even be a little swollen when he gets the cast off, mainly after therapy - you'll probably need a new supply of peas - they start to stink after a while despite being frozen between uses.

Elevate it whenever possible. Dont take long walks with arms down

Move fingers occasionally while in the cast. I think this helped me recover faster from a broken wrist.

Use a coat hanger to scratch the itches.

He may have to get casted more than once if the swelling doesn't go down soon. I had to wait 5 days for my first cast and still had to be casted twice - 2 weeks apart as swelling in my broken ankle receded.

Like said earlier - garbage bag with a rubber band works wonders in the shower, I saw the cast covers advertised in the doc's office, but didnt get one. Dont get the cast wet - they tend to soften when they get wet.

Good luck!

Thanks Ronstar. I've heard frozen peas are good and will get a bag. DH took his first bath after the accident tonight with a little assistance from me. My mom, who had hip replacement surgery last year, has lots of gear for the bath I borrowed including a bath tub grip, super duper non skid mat, and "bathing chair". He feels so much better after getting off those clothes he's worn since the accident and having a good bath and shampoo. Right now, he's sittin' on the sofa with a glass of vino. Dang I love that man. You never know how much you love someone until they are hurt or in danger.

Right now, he's sittin' on the sofa with a glass of vino. Dang I love that man. You never know how much you love someone until they are hurt or in danger.

Awwwh! I felt the same way when I helped DH after his knee surgery. He looked so vulnerable in the recovery room, with the little blue surgical hat on, and shivering (I think the anesthesia somehow made him extra cold?). It kinda freaked me out, actually - so used to him never being sick and always being the "strong" one. I immediately kicked into "momma" mode.:smitten:

Oh boy, he'd love to know I was telling everyone this story...!

Awwwh! I felt the same way when I helped DH after his knee surgery. He looked so vulnerable in the recovery room, with the little blue surgical hat on, and shivering (I think the anesthesia somehow made him extra cold?). It kinda freaked me out, actually - so used to him never being sick and always being the "strong" one. I immediately kicked into "momma" mode.:smitten:

Oh boy, he'd love to know I was telling everyone this story...!

My DH is a big guy - 6'2", 220 pounds. There is something heart wrenching about seeing a strong, in control kinda guy vulnerable. I'm in momma mode too. Never underestimate the power of females when those they love are in need of protection and care.

I bet your guy wouldn't mind knowing you told this story. My guess is he would reflect on how you supported him and you’d get a big bear hug.

I have been wearing one of these since October, '91. I am very thankful it's not on my gas pedal foot. It's for diabetic problems with my foot called a Charcot joint. I'm not supposed to bend my ankle *at all* or they will end up cutting off my foot, so it was not such a hard decision to become "compliant."

I had a regular fiberglas cast for one day. I tried my best to keep it dry but failed. Went back to the Orthopedist and said "Either you remove it or I will." He suggested the velco cast and I've been happy ever since.

The comments I get from complete strangers are astonishing. I have had handicapper license plates ever since about 1980 and used to get all sorts of snarky comments from self-assigned handicap parking monitors because I had no visible problem. Since I got the cast that has stopped.

Mike D.

Attachments

• 01P-Lsm.jpg
    01P-Lsm.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 130
I have been wearing one of these since October, '91. I am very thankful it's not on my gas pedal foot. It's for diabetic problems with my foot called a Charcot joint. I'm not supposed to bend my ankle *at all* or they will end up cutting off my foot, so it was not such a hard decision to become "compliant."

I had a regular fiberglas cast for one day. I tried my best to keep it dry but failed. Went back to the Orthopedist and said "Either you remove it or I will." He suggested the velco cast and I've been happy ever since.

The comments I get from complete strangers are astonishing. I have had handicapper license plates ever since about 1980 and used to get all sorts of snarky comments from self-assigned handicap parking monitors because I had no visible problem. Since I got the cast that has stopped.

Mike D.

Can you remove it at night? I wore one of those for 6 and ahalf months last year, can't imagine 18 years........:(

Mike D.

My MIL had handicap plates when she was suffering from cancer. I took her to various appointments and would park in the handicap spot and run in to get her. I was yelled by several "monitors." People do like to jump to conclusions.

Yes, it comes off when I'm sleeping or, especially importantly, showering.

About the 18 years: I just got used to it. It's still annoying to walk on uneven surfaces but I am glad that I can still walk and that I still have both feet. One of my doctors was talking to my orthopedic surgeon from back in the '80s (who quit to become a lawyer) and he said "Mike D still has feet?" so I guess I am doing better than expected.

Lots of people I met in the kidney failure scene had handicapper plates too. The more exersice you get the sooner you need dialysis so they try not to walk too much. They appear normal and get lots of comments.

Mike D.

Husband's cast is off!

Yipee!! His arm and shoulder are somewhat stiff and sore, but otherwise he's doing great:D Thanks again to everyone for your support and suggestions, especially Nords who recommended the "wonder lotion" - sunburn treatment w/lidocaine for the itching.

By the way, one thing no one warned me about was how a cast starts to stink after about 5 weeks. Yuk! I told DH NOT to bring that thing back home as a souvenir:yuk:

Oh do I remember that moment when they too the cast off my arm.

DO NOT NEGLECT physical therapy!! It is the only way to restore and maintain range of motion.

Oh do I remember that moment when they too the cast off my arm.

DO NOT NEGLECT physical therapy!! It is the only way to restore and maintain range of motion.

Thanks Brat. DH has an appointment with the bone doc in 3 weeks. He will evaluate the need for physical therapy. In the meantime, the doc has recommended some excercises to do at home. No worries, Purron quickly turns into "doting wife mode" when DH's health is concerned. "Honey, have you done your excercises tonight?";)

Dawg52 is spot on. In my experiance the therapy hurt more than the break and surgery. When it comes to those exercises "doting" may not do the job.

My hand froze up as a result of the break, the therapy hurt more than delivering my first child - and at least I got a cute kid out of that work. So Purron look upon your role as similar to that of a labor coach.

Dawg52 is spot on. In my experiance the therapy hurt more than the break and surgery. When it comes to those exercises "doting" may not do the job.

My hand froze up as a result of the break, the therapy hurt more than delivering my first child - and at least I got a cute kid out of that work. So Purron look upon your role as similar to that of a labor coach.

Brat, was your hand frozen up when the cast first came off or this this develop later? Also, where was your arm broken? DH seems to being doing pretty good considering, but I don't want to have a false sense of security. He had a "clean" break about mid arm which didn't require surgery.

I broke both bones behind the wrist joint.

I developed a condition called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The way I understand it is that my body essentially tried to build its own cast. It wasn't evident until the cast was removed. It was necessary to stretch and break adhesions while working through the syndrome. My orthopedic team used occupational therapists for that purpose, hand wrenchers.

Even if I hadn't developed CRPS the OTs would have stretched and twisted the hand and wrist to restore strength and range of motion. Many in the treatment area had not developed that syndrome, it was just that I had a tougher "row to hoe" and a higher risk of developing a frozen hand.

We all were given 'home work', exercises to do daily. I was told that there is a window of time to achieve success, this work cannot be deferred.

Good grief...when I saw this thread was revived, I thought he'd broken another bone....:eek:

Thanks Brat. DH has an appointment with the bone doc in 3 weeks. He will evaluate the need for physical therapy. In the meantime, the doc has recommended some excercises to do at home. No worries, Purron quickly turns into "doting wife mode" when DH's health is concerned. "Honey, have you done your excercises tonight?";)
Now you're talkin'! :cool:

Dose the pain meds 30 - 45 minutes prior to the physical therapy visit.

Back
Top Bottom