Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That sounds like it will be a painful six months--maybe a little nightcap in the evening before bed will help (and some painkillers for your DH ).
Yes, two glasses of wine and call me in the morning.

Sorry to hear about this, Purron, I often come close to falling that way. I find my cat is an excellent, very concerned nurse.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The worst one was when my other son was 15 months old he rolled off the changing table onto a carpeted floor and broke his leg. I wasn't with him, my husband was changing him and reached for something, keeping his hand over the baby. But the baby rolled right under his hand.

Besides seeing your child in pain, dealing with his cast was a nightmare. It started right under his diaper area and went down past his toes. He learned to crawl around with it but it got banged up and was hard to keep clean. We built a little shelf onto his stroller to prop up the cast so it wouldn't pinch his thigh.

People would see this little kid in a cast and ask questions. I got tired of the standard answer so I just said it was a skiing accident.

This was in 1985, I don't think they had the waterproof casts then. Would have been nice.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How 'bout this? -> Wife carrying baby down icy steps. Falls, lands on baby. Baby's leg is broken.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post

People would see this little kid in a cast and ask questions. I got tired of the standard answer so I just said it was a skiing accident.
I found a picture!

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Awww, how cute! I bet he grew up to be a handsome young man. I'm sure you did get tired of the questions when he had that cast on his leg. I told DH he should come up with a better story on how it happened. Perhaps bungee jumping off the Eiffel Tower
Old 06-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #26

If he were a teenager he would be looked upon with envy by his peers, considering him a hero... At least for a few days. But us, getting on in years- we only get sympathy and plenty of advice...
Old 06-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Egads! - tell him to take it easy until he at least gets the cast on.

Like said earlier- frozen peas will work wonders taking swelling down until the cast goes on. Just gently wrap the bags of peas around the arm/sling and hold them in place with an elastic bandage. It may even be a little swollen when he gets the cast off, mainly after therapy - you'll probably need a new supply of peas - they start to stink after a while despite being frozen between uses.

Elevate it whenever possible. Dont take long walks with arms down

Move fingers occasionally while in the cast. I think this helped me recover faster from a broken wrist.

Use a coat hanger to scratch the itches.

He may have to get casted more than once if the swelling doesn't go down soon. I had to wait 5 days for my first cast and still had to be casted twice - 2 weeks apart as swelling in my broken ankle receded.

Like said earlier - garbage bag with a rubber band works wonders in the shower, I saw the cast covers advertised in the doc's office, but didnt get one. Dont get the cast wet - they tend to soften when they get wet.

Good luck!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Egads! - tell him to take it easy until he at least gets the cast on.

Like said earlier- frozen peas will work wonders taking swelling down until the cast goes on. Just gently wrap the bags of peas around the arm/sling and hold them in place with an elastic bandage. It may even be a little swollen when he gets the cast off, mainly after therapy - you'll probably need a new supply of peas - they start to stink after a while despite being frozen between uses.

Elevate it whenever possible. Dont take long walks with arms down

Move fingers occasionally while in the cast. I think this helped me recover faster from a broken wrist.

Use a coat hanger to scratch the itches.

He may have to get casted more than once if the swelling doesn't go down soon. I had to wait 5 days for my first cast and still had to be casted twice - 2 weeks apart as swelling in my broken ankle receded.

Like said earlier - garbage bag with a rubber band works wonders in the shower, I saw the cast covers advertised in the doc's office, but didnt get one. Dont get the cast wet - they tend to soften when they get wet.

Good luck!
Thanks Ronstar. I've heard frozen peas are good and will get a bag. DH took his first bath after the accident tonight with a little assistance from me. My mom, who had hip replacement surgery last year, has lots of gear for the bath I borrowed including a bath tub grip, super duper non skid mat, and "bathing chair". He feels so much better after getting off those clothes he's worn since the accident and having a good bath and shampoo. Right now, he's sittin' on the sofa with a glass of vino. Dang I love that man. You never know how much you love someone until they are hurt or in danger.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Right now, he's sittin' on the sofa with a glass of vino. Dang I love that man. You never know how much you love someone until they are hurt or in danger.
Awwwh! I felt the same way when I helped DH after his knee surgery. He looked so vulnerable in the recovery room, with the little blue surgical hat on, and shivering (I think the anesthesia somehow made him extra cold?). It kinda freaked me out, actually - so used to him never being sick and always being the "strong" one. I immediately kicked into "momma" mode.

Oh boy, he'd love to know I was telling everyone this story...!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Awwwh! I felt the same way when I helped DH after his knee surgery. He looked so vulnerable in the recovery room, with the little blue surgical hat on, and shivering (I think the anesthesia somehow made him extra cold?). It kinda freaked me out, actually - so used to him never being sick and always being the "strong" one. I immediately kicked into "momma" mode.

My DH is a big guy - 6'2", 220 pounds. There is something heart wrenching about seeing a strong, in control kinda guy vulnerable. I'm in momma mode too. Never underestimate the power of females when those they love are in need of protection and care.

I bet your guy wouldn't mind knowing you told this story. My guess is he would reflect on how you supported him and you’d get a big bear hug.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
So has he told you his user name for this board?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been wearing one of these since October, '91. I am very thankful it's not on my gas pedal foot. It's for diabetic problems with my foot called a Charcot joint. I'm not supposed to bend my ankle *at all* or they will end up cutting off my foot, so it was not such a hard decision to become "compliant."

I had a regular fiberglas cast for one day. I tried my best to keep it dry but failed. Went back to the Orthopedist and said "Either you remove it or I will." He suggested the velco cast and I've been happy ever since.

The comments I get from complete strangers are astonishing. I have had handicapper license plates ever since about 1980 and used to get all sorts of snarky comments from self-assigned handicap parking monitors because I had no visible problem. Since I got the cast that has stopped.

Mike D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01P-Lsm.jpg (7.1 KB, 130 views)

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I have been wearing one of these since October, '91. I am very thankful it's not on my gas pedal foot. It's for diabetic problems with my foot called a Charcot joint. I'm not supposed to bend my ankle *at all* or they will end up cutting off my foot, so it was not such a hard decision to become "compliant."

I had a regular fiberglas cast for one day. I tried my best to keep it dry but failed. Went back to the Orthopedist and said "Either you remove it or I will." He suggested the velco cast and I've been happy ever since.

The comments I get from complete strangers are astonishing. I have had handicapper license plates ever since about 1980 and used to get all sorts of snarky comments from self-assigned handicap parking monitors because I had no visible problem. Since I got the cast that has stopped.

Mike D.
Can you remove it at night? I wore one of those for 6 and ahalf months last year, can't imagine 18 years........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post

Mike D.
My MIL had handicap plates when she was suffering from cancer. I took her to various appointments and would park in the handicap spot and run in to get her. I was yelled by several "monitors." People do like to jump to conclusions.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, it comes off when I'm sleeping or, especially importantly, showering.

About the 18 years: I just got used to it. It's still annoying to walk on uneven surfaces but I am glad that I can still walk and that I still have both feet. One of my doctors was talking to my orthopedic surgeon from back in the '80s (who quit to become a lawyer) and he said "Mike D still has feet?" so I guess I am doing better than expected.

Lots of people I met in the kidney failure scene had handicapper plates too. The more exersice you get the sooner you need dialysis so they try not to walk too much. They appear normal and get lots of comments.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Husband's cast is off!
Old 07-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Husband's cast is off!

Yipee!! His arm and shoulder are somewhat stiff and sore, but otherwise he's doing great Thanks again to everyone for your support and suggestions, especially Nords who recommended the "wonder lotion" - sunburn treatment w/lidocaine for the itching.

By the way, one thing no one warned me about was how a cast starts to stink after about 5 weeks. Yuk! I told DH NOT to bring that thing back home as a souvenir
Old 07-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Oh do I remember that moment when they too the cast off my arm.

DO NOT NEGLECT physical therapy!! It is the only way to restore and maintain range of motion.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post

DO NOT NEGLECT physical therapy!! It is the only way to restore and maintain range of motion.
The therapy hurts worse than the actual break.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post

Thanks Brat. DH has an appointment with the bone doc in 3 weeks. He will evaluate the need for physical therapy. In the meantime, the doc has recommended some excercises to do at home. No worries, Purron quickly turns into "doting wife mode" when DH's health is concerned. "Honey, have you done your excercises tonight?"
Old 07-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Dawg52 is spot on. In my experiance the therapy hurt more than the break and surgery. When it comes to those exercises "doting" may not do the job.

My hand froze up as a result of the break, the therapy hurt more than delivering my first child - and at least I got a cute kid out of that work. So Purron look upon your role as similar to that of a labor coach.