Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #221
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks like the chemo always knocks me to my knees. Just a long day. Radiation first so I don't barf in the mask and then the 4 hours of infusion with the cisplatin. No barfing yet but nausea and just constant fatigue. Appetite horible again. I've been stocking up on the puddings, jellos, and icecream.Then Saturday driving from Chicago to Urbana and back with the usual shopping for stuff and helping out with the college apartment for DS. Last knight the neighbors were fighting in a language I don't understand around 3 AM and I got up at 5 am to start the college trek. I wish I at least knew what they were so mad at. Time for a quite night I hope?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #222
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you share your jello with them, maybe that will make them happy and forget the reason for fighting.

I hope you get a good night's sleep darlin'....

Old 08-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #223
Administrator

You must be so sleepy! Good night, and here's something to help you slip away to sweet dreams...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #224
Full time employment: Posting here.

Or, if Want2Retire's option doesn't help, you could try this:

MIT OpenCourseWare | Physics | 8.01 Physics I: Classical Mechanics, Fall 1999 | Video Lectures | detail

Hope your sleep is sound and restorative, however you come by it.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #225
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Or, if Want2Retire's option doesn't help, you could try this:

MIT OpenCourseWare | Physics | 8.01 Physics I: Classical Mechanics, Fall 1999 | Video Lectures | detail

Hope your sleep is sound and restorative, however you come by it.
Hey, I majored in that subject!
Is that a bagel pocket protector he has on?

Ratface...you are going through such a tough time. Man oh man.
But each week done is one less you still have to endure.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #226
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ratface: Just because I don´t know what else to say to show you my support -plenty of eloquent members already, thank God, are doing that marvellously- doesn´t mean that I don´t think about your predicament and the valiant way you are handling it. Have a good night.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #227

Earplugs and Green Tea ice-cream......you are going to be fine
I hope you have a great day ((hugs))
Old 08-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #228
Recycles dryer sheets

It's been a bad week. The driving of DS to college was too much too soon and just took all my energy. Today thursday I have some energy. One more day before the weekend, Thank- God. I'm surviving on soaked cereal, icecream, shakes, and jello. Everything taste so bad. I hope to eat real food again some day.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #229
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratface View Post
It's been a bad week. The driving of DS to college was too much too soon and just took all my energy. Today thursday I have some energy. One more day before the weekend, Thank- God. I'm surviving on soaked cereal, icecream, shakes, and jello. Everything taste so bad. I hope to eat real food again some day.
You will and you will appreciate it more than ever. Better days are ahead.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #230
Give me a forum ...

Try anything that you think won't hurt your mouth. Even if you didn't like something before, maybe it will taste good to you now.

Rest and play when you feel the need. Listen to your body.

You will eat real food again....
Old 08-27-2009, 08:24 PM   #231

Quote:
I'm surprised you had the energy to drive him to college. I don't think I have that much energy yet. I know it must have been super hard for you, but I'm glad you did something like that to get your mind off the treatments at least for a little while -- and to do something good for your son.

Just think how good a hamburger will taste at some point in the future.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #232
Administrator

A few years ago I helped out a friend during a similar treatment course. Here were some his favorites (although now he won't go near most of them). The last was his fave and one of the few 'not sweet' things he ate regularly. You could cut the recipe pretty easily making a cup of white sauce and 2 eggs.

• oatmeal - the real stuff with diced apples cooked in.
  • tapico pudding (the real stuff). Watch the pudding packs - there is a lot of salt in some flavors
  • Banana shakes with real bananas. In a blender: 1 whole frozen banana, a few ice cubes, vanilla, milk. A touch of sugar or honey.
  • Rice with cheese sauce
Old 08-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #233
Give me a forum ...

You can get through this. Keep your eye on that sunrise.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #234
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Banana shakes with real bananas. In a blender: 1 whole frozen banana, a few ice cubes, vanilla, milk. A touch of sugar or honey.

Hey Ratface,

Maybe if that other guy said beer tasted like bananas to him, your banana milkshake will taste like beer! Worth a try, anyway!
Another thing, when I was a teenager I went through a phase where I made myself a banana milkshake every day. I quit when I noticed all my clothes were getting tight...that stuff puts weight on like nobody's business. So, get busy with the bananas and the blender...you need the calories. Maybe add some chocolate sauce!

Rooting for you, and thinking of you every day.

Amethyst
Old 08-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #235
Recycles dryer sheets

The problem with food choices is that you need to be aware of where your digestive tract is headed. I take so many meds for so many side effects that some cause constipation. Eating bananas and rice could really be counter productive at times. Pain meds are notorious for this. I limit those as much as possible. Am rebounding nicely this weekend with the energy levels and just plan to eat, rest, and possibly make it to the library. And yes I have to get chocolates for the Radiation crew which has been great to me. It seems everytime I come in the machine malfunctions and they joke about magnets in my pockets. If they only new??
Old 08-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #236
Give me a forum ...

Uh oh...sounds like you might need some prunes.....

I'm so tickled you're feeling better this weekend.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #237

Ratface: Have the docs given you an estimate of how long will lyour ordeal take and when you´ll be your usual self?
Old 08-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...Am rebounding nicely this weekend with the energy levels and just plan to eat, rest, and possibly make it to the library. And yes I have to get chocolates for the Radiation crew which has been great to me.
Sounds like you're evening out a bit.
Good plan for the crew - chocolate is indeed the universal TY currency.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:52 PM   #239

Ratface--try some baby foods, especially the fruits...applesauce, prunes, peaches. Those should be easy to swallow. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #240
Recycles dryer sheets

The baby foods might be a good choice but I draw the line at diapers. I'm still able to swallow and am forcing even awful tasting stuff down. Loosing ten pounds in a week will make you at least try and eat something.

Vincente the game plan from this point forward is to finish the chemo and radiation. I'm halfway there. 4 weeks down. Stay out of the hospital with complications as malnutrition or infection due to poor white blood counts. Maintain some reasonable amount of weight and keep the swallowing reflex and saliva somewhat flowing. The jaw has to keep moving otherwise a condition I think called trismus occurs which is like lockjaw. There is also a condition called thrush which can cause problems in the throat. I also have to keep the radiation burns under control around the neck as it is starting to look reddish. If the swine flu dosen't get me then we wait I think 9 weeks for the radiation and chemo to clear out. They tell me radiation keeps on giving after the last treatment for weeks. These are rumored to be the worst weeks of all, the last 2-3 post treatment. We then do another pet scan and look for cancer. If it's still there the options begin to get worse. Possible neck disection or tongue resection. I anticipate a neck disection to remove lymph nodes that may have traces of cancer. Anyone know who the best neck disection guy/girl in the US might be?