Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #321
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mews View Post
Screening - Yes, my dentist looks around when I go for a cleaning, checking the tongue, gums, and whatever else he sees ...

Takes a couple of minutes - if your dentist DOESN'T - ask why not!!!

ta,
mew
Dentist I see does all of that and palpates front of neck for check on thyroid.

DW just went to see him recently, she said that was the best, most thorough initial exam she ever had.

Never knew that they can detect so much stuff.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #322
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratface View Post
8 weeks done folks! 3 more treatments to go next week. Then it gets tough because they cut the apron strings and I sit around for nine weeks recooping and waiting to see if the treatment worked? I'm thinking thats going to be worse than actually being treated waiting and wondering? Radiation doctor is pleased with the way the node appears but this is microscopic stuff we're talking about? Only the PET scan will tell.
Come on over to my house...I'll keep you busy. I need to paint and I sure could use a helper!

We'll still be around here when you get your results. In other words, we'll wait with you.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #323
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
8 weeks done folks! 3 more treatments to go next week.
Did the doc tell you how soon you'll start to feel better (that is, after the treatments stop)?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:29 AM   #324
Administrator

Hi, Ratty, thanks again for the update, we'll be nervous along with you. As you say, the waiting will be a different kind of agony.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #325
Give me a forum ...

Very glad to hear the remaining treatments are so few.
Do you still have to minimize people contact due to suppressed immune system?

The waiting...oh boy ...I would suggest making up a list (write it down) of things you want to do every day, like read books, take naps , go for walks to public parks if feeling up to it, do jigsaw puzzles, knit a sweater (just kidding), to keep your mind gainfully occupied. Idle time should be minimized to keep your mind from going to unpleasant trains of thought.
Keep posting...
Old 09-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #326
Recycles dryer sheets

Last day of Radiation

Hello everyone. Today is my last day of radiation. Graduation day! Had a long talk with the RAD oncologist yesterday. Prior to that had a very bad day mentally. He was very reassuring and I think for the first time I actually believed some of the things he was saying. Said he couldn't have asked for a better response to treatment, Neck appears symetrical again although radiation gives you a turkey neck. Will see him again in two weeks.

Left that hospital and had an appt. with the Head of head and neck oncology at the University of Chicago. What a difference in care. Should have gone there in the first place. Why do doctors refer to the hospitals where they are on staff rather than the best place for treatment? These people spent an hour in my mouth. Ordered up a bunch of tests for 1 month from now on holloween. Some of these should have been done at the first hospital months ago. Questioned some aspects of the pathology and are having that retested. Doctor said I now belong to them.Got no argument from me. I will finish up today with current Hospital and follow up with RAD guy. Then its off to greener pastures. Much more confident in qulity of care here. If only I had known. Was terrified at the onset and just wanted to get treatment started. Neck is healing well and I can wear shirts again. Just in time because its getting cold!!!!!!!
ratface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #327
Give me a forum ...

Great news, you sound optimistic still. Good that you found a care setting that you feel confident in.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #328
Give me a forum ...

I put this outfit on especially for you...................with some music of course.

Great news darlin'!
Old 09-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #329
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like the University of Chicago hospital is great, but I'm sure the treatment you've received already is doing you a world of good and no harm done, Ratty, so no second-guessing allowed. Forward and onward and all good thoughts for you.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #330
Give me a forum ...

Waiting

Ratface,

Thanks for the good update. The doctor's words sound very hopeful, indeed. In a way, I'm glad you're getting more tests at the end of October, because that's only 4 weeks. Maybe that will be enough time for the doctors to see how well the treatment really worked.

I suggest you use your "waiting" time to make or re-check your list of things to do after you retire to your farm!

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #331
Recycles dryer sheets

I brought the mask home to scare my children about the evils of smoking and anyone else on this board I can impact. You are then secured to a table using plastic clips literally holding your head motionless. Remember it starts out as a flat piece of hot plastic on your face. Happy Halloween.

mask.JPG
Old 10-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #332
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I brought the mask home to scare my children about the evils of smoking and anyone else on this board I can impact. You are then secured to a table using plastic clips literally holding your head motionless. Remember it starts out as a flat piece of hot plastic on your face. Happy Halloween.

Attachment 7494
Ratface: The mask is really scary! But I´m afraid I´m too hooked up on smoking.... Glad you are doing well.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #333
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Egads....that scares the weenie out of me! Good job...RF.....
Old 10-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #334
Give me a forum ...

One picture is worth 1,000 words. I'm not sure you should allow it to play on the treadmill, though.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #335
Full time employment: Posting here.

Glad to hear that things are going so well ratface.....I am absolutely confident that everything is going to work out fabulous....
Make sure that while you are waiting that you have a lot of fun....go away for the weekend or take a mini vacation....you definitely deserve it
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #336
Recycles dryer sheets

No vacation yet. I'm afraid the energy levels are all but gone right now. This could take some time.??
Old 10-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #337
Give me a forum ...

Yes...it may take a little time. But it's great practice for ER. Just sitting back with your feet up....doing nothing....
Old 10-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #338
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Attachment 7494
thank you for sharing your story. I read through the entire thread just now, and hope you are doing ok today.

I don't smoke, but I AM going to sign up for the health club membership at the *ffice that I have been fence sitting on and get back to my vitamin regime!
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #339
Recycles dryer sheets

I started taking multi vitamins this week mainly to get my anemia jump started with some more iron. Picked up on brand and it contained zero iron. Got to read those labels. Anyway glad to have inspired you to start taking care of yourself. Get off that fence! It really is a misleading thread and you have to read the whole thing otherwise you think I have Lymphoma which may or may not been better?

Anyway got away for the weekend to the rural place and stayed busy which kept cancer thoughts from creeping in most of the time. Damn cancer awareness month wasn't helping with the constant advertising. I think they said 1 in 8 woman get breast cancer and 1 in 18 people get colon cancer. Go get checked out if it applies to you? Almost all early detection cancer has high cure rates, don't procratinate!

I'm just wating for the scans at the end of the month. The waiting is brutal. Hanging in there. Very cold in Chicago for this time of year, hampering my evening walks. No snow yet.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #340
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...Anyway got away for the weekend to the rural place and stayed busy which kept cancer thoughts from creeping in most of the time.

...I'm just wating for the scans at the end of the month. The waiting is brutal. Hanging in there. Very cold in Chicago for this time of year, hampering my evening walks. No snow yet.
Excellent distraction - the country is a good mental healer.
Now you need something for the mind while at home. Need ideas?
Warning - I tend to do downright silly stuff.

Getting chilly here too. Fall colors in abundance but leaves are falling quickly. Here we go into winter hibernation - got all your nuts gathered?