Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #341
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratface View Post
It really is a misleading thread and you have to read the whole thing otherwise you think I have Lymphoma which may or may not been better?
Squamous cell carcinoma, lymphoma... they both end with that dreaded "oma"! Any ***oma is pretty scary, to me, and I don't know a great deal about any of them.

Glad you are able to spend some time at your country place. Being closer to nature sounds like just what you may need during this stressful waiting time.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #342
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

O Ratface, wherefor art thou?

How ya doing ?

Old 10-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #343
Recycles dryer sheets

i'm here, no over here, no higher-lower

I've been slowly recuperating and taking it easy. I feel stronger every day and even get a small workout in some days. DW says I have a cast iron stomach. Dw and daughter came home with authentic Mexican tacos and I wanted one but knew I could never get it down. I can't really taste anything and swallowing is slow and tedious. Later that night we drove past a pepe's tacos and although not the same as authentic they are softer especially their pork variety. Well we bought a dozen, $43.00, DW and I nearly lost it right there. Got them home and my DD was estatic as she loves tacos and guacamole. I had a little of the guac. The taco was horrible and couldn't eat the totilla at all. Made some chicken and rice soup. Still hungry. Had some cottage cheese with cling peachs, yummy. Spent the afternoon visiting with a gentleman who had the exact cancer 10 years ago and is alive and kicking. Very uplifting. What a wonderful story. Trying to stay sane while waiting for my cat scans on the 30th of this month. Meanwhile trying to get stronger in case things don't go well and I need to endure more treatment. The neck disection is almost a certainty. Talked to GP yesterday and he recommends a shot for the flu as well as shingles. Scheduled for the flu shot tomorrow. The shingles shot has to be ordered and I don't know if insurance will pay, its rumored to be a $300 shot. I'll pay out of pocket if I need to. They don't look pleasant. It seems that anyone who has had chicken pox is suseptable to shingles either around age sixty or if their immune system is compromised as mine is. I had Chickpox around age three and still have the scar above my right eye from it. I don't think they even immunize for it today. Anyway I'm doing as well as possible under the circumstances. Two weeks and counting for the scans. Will sit and enjoy my Bears play this evening. I'm hoping to win the weekly football pool to pay for the shingles shot. Everyone have a great sunday.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #344
Administrator

Glad to hear you are doing so well!! (Well, comparatively speaking, anyway).

If cottage cheese and cling peaches are yummy after your ordeal, then I think you should eat as much of them as you want.

My brother got shingles a couple of years ago, and he was utterly miserable. I should probably get that shot, too. I think we both had chicken pox in 1954, and then I had shingles in 1955. At that age it isn't as miserable though I remember it was very itchy.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #345
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sound like good progress. Good to read your update.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #346
Give me a forum ...

To get your mind off stuff, you can come over and help me paint....or rip up the carpet in my house! .....ain't I the sweet one?

Have a great Sunday RF, I hope you win the pool.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #347
Recycles dryer sheets

My mother has shingles right now and is most uncomfortable. Plus she swears her energy is zapped due to the outbreak. Hopefully your insurance will cover the shot, but be sure to get it regardless. After everything you've been through you don't need that problem. Take care, and thanks for the update. You continue to be an inspiration.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #348
Moderator Emeritus

Ratty, my beloved sister-in-law also has CAT scans on the 30th to see how the surgery/radiation/chemo worked for her since her lung cancer relapsed to the brain this summer (her first tests last month were all clear). I will most definitely mention you too in my conversations about my SIL with a higher power.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:08 PM   #349

DW got the shingles at age 45 or 46, and I have had a few friends come down with shingles in their late 40s and early 50s. Not pleasant at all. Get the shot if you can. You don't want to have to deal with other things at the same time as the big C.

Take care of yourself RF and keep us posted. We're all still rooting for you!

R
Old 10-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #350
Full time employment: Posting here.

Healthy, strong thoughts coming your way from California!

And yes, they offer vaccines for chickenpox to kids now, and since most kids get the shots it's not common to get chickenpox naturally any more. Done had mine when I was 5, got the scars to prove it.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #351
Recycles dryer sheets

sad day yesterday

My BIL passed away yesterday. Wonderful sweet man with three children, grown but not fully independent if you know what I mean. He was divorced from my sister but still had a great relationship with him. He was 57. he visited me last week and we watched the football game together. It was utterly difficult to see his body laying in the ER. I have cancer and saw myself laying there, yet ironically this man went to work yesterday and had a massive heart attack never to return home. God rest his soul. Just a reminder to all to get those affairs in order, life is fragile, don't take it for granted. Tell someone in your life today how much they mean to you.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #352

RF, sorry to hear the sad news. Keep your chin up, hope you are feeling better yourself.

R
Old 10-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #353
Moderator Emeritus

So sorry, it is never a good time to lose a friend.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #354
Give me a forum ...

RF...I'm so sorry about your loss.

fwiw...I've been thinking about you every day, my windy city brother....
Old 10-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #355
Moderator Emeritus

So sorry about your BIL.

Another reminder that "man plans but God decides."
Old 10-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #356
Give me a forum ...

Oh Ratty I'm so sorry. I'm fond of my BIL, and would be very upset if that happened to him. Also, I know you're under pressure, waiting for your end-of-the-month scans to see how well your treatment worked. We're all sending positive electrons your way like mad this week.

Amethyst
Old 10-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #357

So sorry for your loss ratface...I'm glad you two got to hang out just a while ago.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #358

What everyone else said. Keep on keeping on.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #359
Recycles dryer sheets

RF,

You are so right. Life is very fragile and we have both learned this truth from personal experience.

Good advice on taking time to tell the people we care about how much they mean to us. I hope your treatment is going well.

2soon2tell
Old 10-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #360
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ratface, I am so sorry about your brother in law. Losing people never gets easier, does it?

Hang in there.